follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #29
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I owned a 13 BRZ, 14 WRX (hatch) and for the past 16+ months have owned a 15 WRX. Like you, I liked the power and practicality of the WRX but I never felt connected to the car. Then the 15 WRX came out and I never as soon as I test drove it that the 14 was getting traded in. It is such a better drivers car in terms of handling. I added some performance springs, lighter wheel, better tires, and a better rear sway bar and the handling is very, very good.

It will never be a RWD small sports coupe. So if that is what you want then the BRZ is a really great choice. But if you are driving 200 miles sometimes on the highway then the 15 WRX could be a better choice. As others have said test drive these cars all back to back. No bad choices here.

You may also want to drive a new GTI.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #30
tumbla.jr
taicho

Drives: The rEd Fr-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
You may also want to drive a new GTI.

I had the pleasure of driving the new Gti for 2 weeks

I have a 100 mile commute round trip and in that it was smooth as butter. The gti is a pretty nice car even if you get a base model.
tumbla.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #31
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbla.jr View Post
I had the pleasure of driving the new Gti for 2 weeks

I have a 100 mile commute round trip and in that it was smooth as butter. The gti is a pretty nice car even if you get a base model.
One of my friends just traded in his 2012 STI (stage 2 modded) for a 2016 Golf R manual w/DCC. We traded cars and I got some good seat time in the new R and it is a really great car. DCC is pretty dang cool and really works for bad roads vs good roads. A wonderful daily driver. The two things that I was not impressed with was the power down low (I guess I am used to my WRX which spools boast faster) and the handling. People praise the handling on these cars but I never felt that connected to the car even on track/race DCC settings. It felt very artificial and somewhat vague. I dunno. I got back in my 15 WRX and thought it felt much more dialed in. The STI even moreso.

I need to drive it again and play with the individual DCC settings. Perhaps I can dial it in more. As for the power, don't get me wrong the R pulls really hard once you hit 3K RPM and it just keeps pulling. But the new GTI feels more responsive down low and I am spoiled now with boast down low from my WRX.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #32
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
One of my friends just traded in his 2012 STI (stage 2 modded) for a 2016 Golf R manual w/DCC. We traded cars and I got some good seat time in the new R and it is a really great car. DCC is pretty dang cool and really works for bad roads vs good roads. A wonderful daily driver. The two things that I was not impressed with was the power down low (I guess I am used to my WRX which spools boast faster) and the handling. People praise the handling on these cars but I never felt that connected to the car even on track/race DCC settings. It felt very artificial and somewhat vague. I dunno. I got back in my 15 WRX and thought it felt much more dialed in. The STI even moreso.

I need to drive it again and play with the individual DCC settings. Perhaps I can dial it in more. As for the power, don't get me wrong the R pulls really hard once you hit 3K RPM and it just keeps pulling. But the new GTI feels more responsive down low and I am spoiled now with boast down low from my WRX.
Really strange to hear about the lack of low-end torque on the 2016 Golf R. VW rates peak torque at 1800 rpm (280 lbs-ft). Torquegate??

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #33
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Really strange to hear about the lack of low-end torque on the 2016 Golf R. VW rates peak torque at 1800 rpm (280 lbs-ft). Torquegate??
It might still be, but there is a big hesitation there off the line. I started googling it and it seems like a lot of people notice the hesitation. I think hesitation is a better word, and this issue is consistent with the manual and DSG.

Don't get me wrong, the car is plenty fast once you get going, and it does not fall off around 5K like my WRX. But it is like the car needs a kick in the pants to get moving. Strange.

I noticed it right away. I was trying to be nice to his car but I did launch it right around 4K rpm once and it still hesitated.

The interior on these cars is just so good. Super quiet (unless you are in race mode with the forced induction noises being fed in via the Soundaktor). I really liked the car and have thought about one, but I am not sure it is worth $39K for me when my WRX cost about $29K so far with all my mods included.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #34
DarkSunrise

Quote:
It might still be, but there is a big hesitation there off the line. I started googling it and it seems like a lot of people notice the hesitation. I think hesitation is a better word, and this issue is consistent with the manual and DSG.

Don't get me wrong, the car is plenty fast once you get going, and it does not fall off around 5K like my WRX. But it is like the car needs a kick in the pants to get moving. Strange.

I noticed it right away. I was trying to be nice to his car but I did launch it right around 4K rpm once and it still hesitated.

The interior on these cars is just so good. Super quiet (unless you are in race mode with the forced induction noises being fed in via the Soundaktor). I really liked the car and have thought about one, but I am not sure it is worth $39K for me when my WRX cost about $29K so far with all my mods included.
Hmm, makes me wonder if it's how VW tuned the DBW throttle rather than actual turbo lag. I know on my old STI the engine felt much more responsive at low RPMs in "Sport Sharp" mode, even though all that setting changed was the throttle mapping.

Given the recent VW scandal though, I wouldn't put it past them to have been a bit "liberal" with the peak torque rating at 1800 RPM lol.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 09-28-2015, 02:49 PM   #35
thill

Quote:
Hmm, makes me wonder if it's how VW tuned the DBW throttle rather than actual turbo lag. I know on my old STI the engine felt much more responsive at low RPMs in "Sport Sharp" mode, even though all that setting changed was the throttle mapping.

Given the recent VW scandal though, I wouldn't put it past them to have been a bit "liberal" with the peak torque rating at 1800 RPM lol.
Me either (in terms of VW fudging things)

It's funny because my friend commented on my car after he drove it and told me my car felt like it felt quicker off the line too. So it was not just me.

As I was googling this I think you are spot on about the throttle. Someone said they installed a pedal box and it fixed the hesitation.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #36
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Me either (in terms of VW fudging things)

It's funny because my friend commented on my car after he drove it and told me my car felt like it felt quicker off the line too. So it was not just me.

As I was googling this I think you are spot on about the throttle. Someone said they installed a pedal box and it fixed the hesitation.
Yeah if the hesitation issue can be solved with a pedal box, I think that's probably a throttle mapping issue.

Glad to hear you're still enjoying your new WRX btw. Have you done any mods on it yet?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 09-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #37
thill

Quote:
Yeah if the hesitation issue can be solved with a pedal box, I think that's probably a throttle mapping issue.

Glad to hear you're still enjoying your new WRX btw. Have you done any mods on it yet?
Suspension (springs, Enkei performance wheels/better tires, pro alignment, Perrin shifter stop and bushing, OEM Audio + 400 upgrade).

I just got an Access Port and am dabbling

Really like the car. I put a #2 on a wait list for a Focus RS (refundable deposit) so plan on test driving that some time next year and making the determination if I want it or not.
raven1231 (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #38
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Suspension (springs, Enkei performance wheels/better tires, pro alignment, Perrin shifter stop and bushing, OEM Audio + 400 upgrade).

Really like the car. I put a #2 on a wait list for a Focus RS (refundable deposit) so plan on test driving that some time next year and making the determination if I want it or not.
Nice mod list on the WRX. I know on the previous EJ255 engine a tune made a huge difference, probably the same on the new ones (actually on any turbo engine.)

Haha re. the Focus RS, I feel like you should start a car review channel with all the seat time you're getting in these new cars!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #39
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yeah I'm just now starting to mod mine too.

So far I got the following mods-
Kartboy Short shifter adapter
Kartboy Shifter bearing
Perrin Shifter Stop
Anarchy Motive Mammoth GM shift knob
Red tail overlays
Cobb accessport
AWD motorsports TGV deletes
Invidia Q300 TI exhaust

Plan on getting very soon-
Depo Racing Downpipe
Mishimoto intake with box

I love the car so far though. It's definitely a lot more pleasant as a DD.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #40
thill

Quote:
Nice mod list on the WRX. I know on the previous EJ255 engine a tune made a huge difference, probably the same on the new ones (actually on any turbo engine.)

Haha re. the Focus RS, I feel like you should start a car review channel with all the seat time you're getting in these new cars!
I cannot stress enough to people what a professional alignment can do for most cars. Factory alignment specs are often way too generous and the springs and alignment made such a difference.

Tune is night and day better. More power throughout the powerband and feels more linear, rev hang is pretty much gone, etc.

Focus RS has me really interested. I am not sure if I will pull the trigger, but I do miss the functionality of a hatch. Just looking at trade-in on my WRX and these cars flat our hold their value in the snow belt so I am looking at driving it 2.5 years and losing $3K during that time tops. I guess we will see. I was originally leaning towards getting a third fun/track car like a used FR-S, Miata, S2K, etc but there is a chance I have to move next year and may lose my extra garage space.

LOL, I should start a channel or a used car lot...
Old 09-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #41
thill

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Yeah I'm just now starting to mod mine too.

So far I got the following mods-
Kartboy Short shifter adapter
Kartboy Shifter bearing
Perrin Shifter Stop
Anarchy Motive Mammoth GM shift knob
Red tail overlays
Cobb accessport
AWD motorsports TGV deletes
Invidia Q300 TI exhaust

Plan on getting very soon-
Depo Racing Downpipe
Mishimoto intake with box

I love the car so far though. It's definitely a lot more pleasant as a DD.
You move fast!

Nice list
raven1231 (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #42
caliprep

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStelle View Post
I currently own a 2014 Wrx. I've only owned the car for 6 months. Sometimes think I might have bought the wrong car It was a toss up between the Brz and Wrx I wish I would have test drove a Brz. I've always wanted a Wrx and I was finally able to afford one but I guess it's not as great as I thought it would be.

Before the Wrx my daily was a 94 Miata on coil overs and Nice wheels/tires that thing was a blast to drive. I don't really get the connected feel to to road when driving the Wrx through the canyons. I know I could improve the car with mods, currently I have RCE black springs and Nameless catback I'm not that interested in putting more money into it. Maybe the Brz is the better car for me?

Has anyone else made the switch from the Wrx into a Brz
I agree with you, I previously mentioned I never liked the WRX's handling, from any generation. Very numb and disconnected feeling plus it rides too high

The only positives you currently have is the torque/power and I guess utility (practicality?)...you will miss it if you decide to get the BRZ, but I think comparing it on an overall fun factor, you'll have way more fun in the BRZ and forget the lack of power. Just my honest opinion, if the change won't hurt you financially, go for it!
caliprep is offline   Reply With Quote