follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #29
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
I love you guys but:
haha Whoops, please accept my sincere apology.
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #30
Takeshi

Drives: Scion FR-S 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you really want an FR-S, you have to be more aggressive. It is poisslbe to have one without waiting 3 or 6 months. If you go to one dealer and place one deposit, then yes, you will wait for months.

The key is to find that one person at the dealership that is willing to help you. You may have to call a few places to find someone to help you. They can search your region for one with your preference (color, transmission) available within say 300 miles. Then you can call that dealership to see if someone has already placed a deposit. Not everyone will help you, so you may have to call around to find someone that will. It takes time for them. The guy that found mine called me back after 10 min.

If there are none, then don't just call once. Check every few days or few weeks. Eventually, one will show up. Usually in the more remote areas, so you will have to be willing to drive for it.

I did it this way and got mine within 2 days wait and 300+ mile drive. It will take time and a lot of phone calls. After I picked it up, I called to get back the 2 deposits I had placed at other local dealers and they honored the refund.

This won't work for everyone, but it may work for those few people that really don't want to wait until winter to get theirs like me.
Takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Pretty sure no one involved in this discussion wants an FR-S. It's already winter here.

Last edited by nix; 08-05-2012 at 09:47 PM.
nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
Xanatos

Drives: @redline, '14 BRZ, '98 Forester
Garage
If your waiting a year might as well get the 2014, most of kinks of the first year first gen will be worked out and hopefully a bigger supply by then as well.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #33
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
Are these cars really so difficult to get? I called maybe 6 dealers and found exactly what I wanted and picked it up the next week. 2 of those dealers called me back in less than a month and told me they now have the car I wanted available. Is it because of the part of the country I'm in?
I think the Northeast got the first few shipments once they ramped up deliveries. I put a deposit down 2/29/12, the night before the US could preorder and enter it into the system and got mine 5/30/12. Granted I was lucky being the first at that dealer and got an early shipment, but I would totally wait if I were doing it again. The only issue I had was they never gave me a tracking number VIN/VON or status update along the way. I had to keep bugging them, but ended up within the timeframe they stated I would receive it.

As others have already stated if you need to wait around a year, the next redesign (minor tweaks) will most likely be available by then. If I was waiting that long, I'd see what the news is around that time and make a more final decision then. In the meantime, try looking around a bit farther out.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #34
giraffee

Drives: Slowly
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Off-topic and kind of a thread jack but since cars are more expensive in AUS, what are the prices of other things in comparison?

For instance, the FRS (base GT86 there) is $25k USD. But 92 octane here is $4/us Gallon (3.8L/Gal) = $1.05/Liter.

Insurance here varies dramatically from person to person and company to company but in WA State the sales tax on the car is 10% adding another $2500 to the price.

Just curious and sorry for the derailment.
Base GT here is 30k (before onroads) or 34k inclusive of all onroads (rego, compulsory third-party insurance etc)
92 octane I think is premium 98 RON here? Not 100% sure on that, but it's around $1.50/L average (ranges $1.45-$1.65)

Insurance for me (under 25 years old) is close to $2000 but not quite there.

We pay so much more than you guys haha
giraffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffee View Post
Base GT here is 30k (before onroads) or 34k inclusive of all onroads (rego, compulsory third-party insurance etc)
92 octane I think is premium 98 RON here? Not 100% sure on that, but it's around $1.50/L average (ranges $1.45-$1.65)

Insurance for me (under 25 years old) is close to $2000 but not quite there.

We pay so much more than you guys haha
SO MANY MORE QUESTIONS!

I will have to start another thread.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #36
nujee86
Dark Prince

Drives: Kluger/Highlander
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
yea here in aus were getting but hurt with car prices but oh well
Old 08-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #37
giraffee

Drives: Slowly
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
SO MANY MORE QUESTIONS!

I will have to start another thread.
giraffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #38
nix

Garage
Quote:
Why are you calling me stupid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi View Post
If you really want an FR-S, you have to be more aggressive. It is poisslbe to have one without waiting 3 or 6 months. If you go to one dealer and place one deposit, then yes, you will wait for months.

The key is to find that one person at the dealership that is willing to help you. You may have to call a few places to find someone to help you. They can search your region for one with your preference (color, transmission) available within say 300 miles. Then you can call that dealership to see if someone has already placed a deposit. Not everyone will help you, so you may have to call around to find someone that will. It takes time for them. The guy that found mine called me back after 10 min.

If there are none, then don't just call once. Check every few days or few weeks. Eventually, one will show up. Usually in the more remote areas, so you will have to be willing to drive for it.

I did it this way and got mine within 2 days wait and 300+ mile drive. It will take time and a lot of phone calls. After I picked it up, I called to get back the 2 deposits I had placed at other local dealers and they honored the refund.

This won't work for everyone, but it may work for those few people that really don't want to wait until winter to get theirs like me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper4mance View Post
I think the Northeast got the first few shipments once they ramped up deliveries. I put a deposit down 2/29/12, the night before the US could preorder and enter it into the system and got mine 5/30/12. Granted I was lucky being the first at that dealer and got an early shipment, but I would totally wait if I were doing it again. The only issue I had was they never gave me a tracking number VIN/VON or status update along the way. I had to keep bugging them, but ended up within the timeframe they stated I would receive it.

As others have already stated if you need to wait around a year, the next redesign (minor tweaks) will most likely be available by then. If I was waiting that long, I'd see what the news is around that time and make a more final decision then. In the meantime, try looking around a bit farther out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
If your waiting a year might as well get the 2014, most of kinks of the first year first gen will be worked out and hopefully a bigger supply by then as well.
Guys try to be less post whorey and actually read the OP and thread before ya post! It was created by Australians a Norweigan and a Hong Kongese to discuss their long wait times on the Toyota 86. We won't wait for a 2014 model because it's 2012 and that's two years away. This website is not FRSClub.com.us. End rant.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #39
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
Guys try to be less post whorey and actually read the OP and thread before ya post! It was created by Australians a Norweigan and a Hong Kongese to discuss their long wait times on the Toyota 86. We won't wait for a 2014 model because it's 2012 and that's two years away. This website is not FRSClub.com.us. End rant.
This is a US forum. Was it mentioned in the post anywhere that the OP is not in the US? Are we suppose to do detective work to find out where the poster is from before we reply? Shouldn't they post in the regional forum instead if they only want people in their own region to reply? What is the big deal anyway? We are just trying to help. Who do you think you are calling us Americans stupid?
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #40
BRAWL

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The author is from Sydney, very clear on his profile blurb on the left. Detective work enough mate? Perhaps the ensuing discussion might have been a clue?

In any event, no need to be agro with each other. The wait list over here sucks
BRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRAWL For This Useful Post:
giraffee (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #41
nix

Garage
Quote:
This is a US forum. Was it mentioned in the post anywhere that the OP is not in the US? Are we suppose to do detective work to find out where the poster is from before we reply? Shouldn't they post in the regional forum instead if they only want people in their own region to reply? What is the big deal anyway? We are just trying to help. Who do you think you are calling us Americans stupid?
There are regional forums for the US. This is the general discussion forum (even mentions Toyota 86 in forum title). Perhaps they posted here in the hope people from all around the world would come together in discussion on their topic which is how to deal with the delays with the 86 not how to call a few dealers in the US to secure an FR-S.

That was not actually me in the video btw. I haven't called you stupid.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #42
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
in reply to the OP: I am quite annoyed with this as well. I believe the allocation was negotiated too low for Australia by TMCA.
They probably cant get any more till next year, which is causing this massive 18 month wait.

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote