follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #10991
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
I got a great idea!

I'm a retired electronic manufacturing engineer. I forgot. I used to build this sort of thing every day. If you can send me a schematic and a parts list I can build a prototype on a wirewrap board. The parts would probably cost less than fifty bucks.

If it works, we can go into mass production.

And GET RICH.

And not have to pay taxes anymore!
Lol why you trolling now

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #10992
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
Well to me the way these operate are somewhat simple as their 3 phase AC motors but driven very very fast. So im sure depending on the kit this can change somewhat but should be over all the same. PM me and let me know your price. Ive been just wanting to get a broken one to try and reverse engineer it first then replicate it with better components and add features. etc. so the control box might be in the bin at the end of the day.
I will send you when i get home

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #10993
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes it is a pretty simple system. Essentially it's just a big electric ducted fan motor (24V 3 phase DC brushless motor) attached to the compressor side of a turbocharger. The charger/controller is a combination ESC (electronic speed controller) and charger.

If you can make a charger/controller that works with lithium ion batteries I'll buy it. I'm building an electric bike but I haven't ordered the batteries yet. On my ESC (electric super charger) I use SLA batteries totalling 27aH@24V and I've never run out of boost.
I'm thinking about getting two 15aH 24V lithium ion batteries. On the e-bike i could use them in series for 15aH@48V and on the ESC use them in parallel for 30aH@24V. I'll rig up some sort of plug-in system so I can plug them into the bike, go for a ride, then plug them back into the car to charge them.
Yes! you got what im trying to do lol. i just have to make sure the current rating on the motor. Since we might be able to run them at higher voltages but maybe causes more heat or lower life expectancy of the motor. YES theirs brushless BLDC motors. I would need to figure out a good way to balance charge li-ion batteries are their more delicate. Its pretty easy to write firmware and some decent mosfets with drivers to create a board that can drive this better cleaner or even add extra features like pulling the boost pressure values from canbus to modulate the compressor for good targets etc.. Like a boost controller but actually built into the box. Plus a bunch of Li0ion batteries can def have enough power to flood current into the motor from what im seeing.

Edit: i would also add a current sensor / temp sensor because as more as i read this it can always be a chance someones wires get cut/ shorted to chassis and can def cause fire lol. Sensing current is def a priority too to keep everything safe.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #10994
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
Lol why you trolling now

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
I'm serious.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #10995
WNDSRFR

Quote:
Yes! you got what im trying to do lol. i just have to make sure the current rating on the motor. Since we might be able to run them at higher voltages but maybe causes more heat or lower life expectancy of the motor. YES theirs brushless BLDC motors. I would need to figure out a good way to balance charge li-ion batteries are their more delicate. Its pretty easy to write firmware and some decent mosfets with drivers to create a board that can drive this better cleaner or even add extra features like pulling the boost pressure values from canbus to modulate the compressor for good targets etc.. Like a boost controller but actually built into the box. Plus a bunch of Li0ion batteries can def have enough power to flood current into the motor from what im seeing.

Edit: i would also add a current sensor / temp sensor because as more as i read this it can always be a chance someones wires get cut/ shorted to chassis and can def cause fire lol. Sensing current is def a priority too to keep everything safe.
I don't know a hell of a lot about batteries. So I have one concern. How quickly can LION batteries be charged?
Because the SLA batteries we use get recharged amazingly fast. If I go full throttle from 25-75 MPH the batteries seem to recharge in less than a minute. It seems like if you tried to recharge LION's that fast they will explode. I don't know. Maybe they will and maybe they won't.
But it's certainly something to consider before going forward.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #10996
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
I don't know a hell of a lot about batteries. So I have one concern. How quickly can LION batteries be charged?

Because the SLA batteries we use get recharged amazingly fast. If I go full throttle from 25-75 MPH the batteries seem to recharge in less than a minute. It seems like if you tried to recharge LION's that fast they will explode. I don't know. Maybe they will and maybe they won't.

As far as my experience, it charged less than 20sec to use boost again

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #10997
geraldjust

Quote:
well depends on the chemistry. ie LI-PO vs LI-ion. and how many in series or parallel. Batteries there a different beat all together. unlike the internal resistance from a SLA battery can cause the drop off of current to drop like a stone at a certain point. The discharge rate can very depending on the setup of the batteries and a higher dynamic range of operation. LIthium battery in general have a two cycle charging. And for the most part the constant current phase 1 which means you can dump a lot of current into them (within thermal ranges) But whats what i was referring about having balance chargers. as to get higher voltages you need more in series (to increase the voltage in total). This means that if no balancing yes.. they can burst into fire. Most of us know this. But sometimes backyard engineering with high cap lipo batteries without knowing how to safely charge them can def set themselves on fire. But the upsides (especially in a situations with high current device) i think should outweigh any other issues. But its one of those things that i can change the code so that you can use "dumb" batteries.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #10998
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
I am open to repair my kit or sell it as whole. just let me know guys
Old 10-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #10999
WNDSRFR

Quote:
well depends on the chemistry. ie LI-PO vs LI-ion. and how many in series or parallel. Batteries there a different beat all together. unlike the internal resistance from a SLA battery can cause the drop off of current to drop like a stone at a certain point. The discharge rate can very depending on the setup of the batteries and a higher dynamic range of operation. LIthium battery in general have a two cycle charging. And for the most part the constant current phase 1 which means you can dump a lot of current into them (within thermal ranges) But whats what i was referring about having balance chargers. as to get higher voltages you need more in series (to increase the voltage in total). This means that if no balancing yes.. they can burst into fire. Most of us know this. But sometimes backyard engineering with high cap lipo batteries without knowing how to safely charge them can def set themselves on fire. But the upsides (especially in a situations with high current device) i think should outweigh any other issues. But its one of those things that i can change the code so that you can use "dumb" batteries.
Yeah
I have some LiPo's I use for RC's. I always charge them in the oven in case they burst into flame. I've had a couple swell on me but none have exploded yet. There are stories of people houses and cars burning down from LiPo's.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:23 PM   #11000
geraldjust

Quote:
Yeah
I have some LiPo's I use for RC's. I always charge them in the oven in case they burst into flame. I've had a couple swell on me but none have exploded yet. There are stories of people houses and cars burning down from LiPo's.

Hmm exactly that's what i would avoid. Im thinking of doing 3 nissan leaf batteries in series. This way i can get to 24v all full charge. and wiring a BMS to it with a charge it should not be too hard.

So taking this apart thanks to @BlOody_BoOger
He sent his broken controller and i was able to take it apart and see what makes it tick. So by the looks of it it seem to be a ESC for 120A to 200A BLDC motor. You can get them pretty easy. A small board that makes a on off switch to a "speed" signal the ESC expects. This might be what breaks for most people.. not too sure. then some relays in between to prevent the charger to charge the dumb battery when activating the switch. ETC.... What a bit surprising that this is trying to use as most off the shelf parts and trying to cramp it on a small box. Which i think its under powered. IT is a "it works" but very very hard to approve if as a useful system. First off i would separate the battery recharger on its own box, and the ESC separately.as much as its convenient so have them in one unit.. i think its not the case for better with the electronics. The ESC looks to be decent at first glance. But more testing will be needed.
i will keep you guys updated.

Last edited by geraldjust; 10-07-2020 at 10:36 PM.
geraldjust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geraldjust For This Useful Post:
Aztec (11-04-2020), BlOody_BoOger (10-07-2020), Target70 (11-04-2020), zc06_kisstherain (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 10:41 PM   #11001
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
Hmm exactly that's what i would avoid. Im thinking of doing 3 nissan leaf batteries in series. This way i can get to 24v all full charge. and wiring a BMS to it with a charge it should not be too hard.

So taking this apart thanks to @BlOody_BoOger
He sent his broken controller and i was able to take it apart and see what makes it tick. So by the looks of it it seem to be a ESC for 120A to 200A BLDC motor. You can get them pretty easy. A small board that makes a on off switch to a "speed" signal the ESC expects. This might be what breaks for most people.. not too sure. then some relays in between to prevent the charger to charge the dumb battery when activating the switch. ETC.... What a bit surprising that this is trying to use as most off the shelf parts and trying to cramp it on a small box. Which i think its under powered. IT is a "it works" but very very hard to approve if as a useful system. First off i would separate the battery recharger on its own box, and the ESC separately.as much as its convenient so have them in one unit.. i think its not the case for better with the electronics. The ESC looks to be decent at first glance. But more testing will be needed.
i will keep you guys updated.

keep us posted. looks like you can fix ours!!!!
Old 10-07-2020, 11:00 PM   #11002
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
keep us posted. looks like you can fix ours!!!!
unfortunately this the way this is bodged together its still very very hard to actually trace everything out. and their can be like any of one of the systems can fail and none of it will work. Most likely i would toss most of the guts of this thing away. But trying to find a easy way to either improve the existing design with some replacement parts. Or just doing a complete replacement of everything. and most likely i will canbus enable this thing though. to get the gas pedal position and some minor other things that can be useful that the car can show us.
zc06_kisstherain (10-07-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #11003
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
unfortunately this the way this is bodged together its still very very hard to actually trace everything out. and their can be like any of one of the systems can fail and none of it will work. Most likely i would toss most of the guts of this thing away. But trying to find a easy way to either improve the existing design with some replacement parts. Or just doing a complete replacement of everything. and most likely i will canbus enable this thing though. to get the gas pedal position and some minor other things that can be useful that the car can show us.
is it possible you can build new one for us? it will be helpful for all users in future
Old 10-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #11004
WNDSRFR

How about something like this for the motor controller.
https://shop.powerdrives.net/?product=200f3x

And instead of an on/off switch use a proportional speed control using a pot attached to the gas petal. Set it up so that the blower engages at about 2/3 throttle (or pick what you like) and ramps up to full throttle at full throttle.

Of course you would still need a battery charger of some sort.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive