follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #449
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2 bucket method is overkill.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #450
JackRabbit

Drives: '19 Toyota 86, MT, Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendraceshop View Post
No problem! Paint still looks great after countless waterless/rinseless washes with ONR. Hasn't been polished in 3 years.

-Sam
That thing looks sweet! The ONR is coming in the mail today, can't wait to make mine shine like that.

It may be overkill, but for almost half the price of 1 detail job, I got enough supplies to keep my car ridiculously clean for over a year, and then it's just fluid refills after that. I can't believe I'm actually excited about washing a car but after 11 years of driving a ratty-looking corolla, I'm ready to move on from that life.
JackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackRabbit For This Useful Post:
eastendraceshop (08-28-2019)
Old 09-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #451
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am looking at strating to do some more advance detailing than just the basics. My car(brz) is used mostly for racing, so gets cone goo and brake dust on it all the time. The car will never be a show car, but I want to keep the paint happy and still looking good. My car was ceramic coated in 2015, and still seems good, but I know it needs some upkeep as some gone goo doesn't come off too easy anymore(not scratched).

I think I need to invest in some sort of polishing devise and learn how to use it. Suggestions for a noob?

*I do use Iron-x on the car from time to time to try and get the track pad dust off.
*I used to have a cheap orbital polisher(wax applicator was all it really was good for), but haven't seen it in years, and there are no pads or stuff available for it last I looked.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #452
Magyarman

Drives: 2016 FR-S series 2.0 , 2002avalon
I use Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze is a true high-yield polish to bring out the shine.Then I use Nu-Finish( yeah I know,but it works) to seal and protect the nice shiny paint.Redo Nu-finish every 6 months or so. I do all this by hand. You won't be disappointed. Cheap and easy! I also use this system on my 18 yo Avalon.
Attached Images

Magyarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:04 AM   #453
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
Try to invest in dual action polisher as they are clearcoat friendly. You can start with this too: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-DMCK...8037396&sr=8-7

For detailing tips, YouTube has Apex Detailing, Pan the Organizer, AMMO NYC, etc. for reference. I find AMMO NYC website very useful as they have lots of tips there.

Turtle Wax has been getting the attention again of the detailing pros in the recent years & have just released their new Hybrid Solutions PRO line up. The new TW HYBRID SOLUTIONS PRO GRAPHENE FLEX WAX has been getting so much praises from the pros esp. since they are using pure graphene. Since graphene has tighter molecular structure than ceramic, perhaps this will solve your problem.

I haven't tried it yet as it's not available in Canada as of the moment & I would have crossed the border if it's not closed. If you're in the US, you can order it directly from Turtle Wax but, from what I know, it's widely available in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
I am looking at strating to do some more advance detailing than just the basics. My car(brz) is used mostly for racing, so gets cone goo and brake dust on it all the time. The car will never be a show car, but I want to keep the paint happy and still looking good. My car was ceramic coated in 2015, and still seems good, but I know it needs some upkeep as some gone goo doesn't come off too easy anymore(not scratched).

I think I need to invest in some sort of polishing devise and learn how to use it. Suggestions for a noob?

*I do use Iron-x on the car from time to time to try and get the track pad dust off.
*I used to have a cheap orbital polisher(wax applicator was all it really was good for), but haven't seen it in years, and there are no pads or stuff available for it last I looked.
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter

Last edited by sygfrid; 12-15-2020 at 08:04 AM.
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:22 AM   #454
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinyrral View Post
I seem to have alot of random medium length lines on my car doors, they dont seem deep but you can see lines. whats the best way to get rid of these?
I also have alot of micro swirls from my dumb ass using a public brush at a self-car wash, without a hand tool am i SOL?
Also i have a spot on the top of my car where i didnt catch the bird poop in tim eand now thers an imprint, any ideas on getting that out?
Start from the least aggressive method then work your way to the more aggressive ones if it doesn't work. Trying using a polish first like Meguiar's Ultimate Polish which is designed to not only recondition the paint, but also remove the very fine scratches. If that doesn't work, try compounding like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. If that doesn't work, you can try wet-sanding starting from the least aggressive like 4000/3000 grit then work your way down but be very careful as not to remove so much of the very thin clear coat.

Once the deeper scratches are removed, you work your way up after compounding: polish then wax/seal.

Bird poop etches may need wet-sanding as it has eaten its way into the finish. Again, try the least aggressive method first then work your way to the more aggressive ones. The main goal is to remove as much scratches/imperfections as much as possible without minimal damage to the clearcoat. YouTube is your best friend in tutorials. Try to search for AMMO NYC, Apex Detailing, & Pan the Organizer.
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter

Last edited by sygfrid; 12-15-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #455
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnibbs View Post
Hello trying to find proper way to wash to not get swirls i have not found anything in my searches
There are tons of tutorials about how to minimize it. I used the word minimize bec. you can't get rid of scratches. Even touching the paint with your finger can already create very fine scratch because of the friction created by your uneven skin. Nevertheless, here's a quick tip:

1. Pre-rinse the vehicle with strongest pressure setting of your garden hose if you're not using pressure washer to remove most dirt & large debris on your car. If you have a pressure washer, don't use 0 deg or even 15 for more powerful machines.
2. Presoak using a foam gun/cannon to start cutting down the dirt. DO NOT USE DAWN OR ANY KITCHEN DETERGENT as they are too harsh for the paint & they can also remove any protection in remote areas in your car. Use ph-balanced CAR SHAMPOO instead.
3. Clean the wheels & tires 1st while you let the shampoo work on the dirt. Use a separate bucket & mitts for the wheels & tires as you don't want to cross-contaminate them to your car's paint
4. Rinse everything with pressurized setting from top to bottom.
5. Use the 2-bucket method, have GRIT GUARDs in the bucket to trap the dirt at the bottom, & use CLEAN & dedicated wash mitts (1 or 2 for top half of the car, a bottom half, & the undersides). Start from the top, then the hood, then top half of the sides, then top of trunk as these are the lesser dirty areas. Afterwhich, work on the bumpers & bottom half. Lastly, the inside doors & bottom. USE very minimal pressure & just let the mitt glide over as you don't want to scrape onto the paint's surface the dirt that may have gotten caught in the mitt. Make sure your mitt is always soaked/properly lubricated & wring it out after working on each panel to remove any trapped dirt.
6. Rinse with low pressure setting to let the water sheet. This will help dry your car faster too.
7. Using a dedicated drying towel, let it glide on the surface & avoid using pressure. You can use drying aids like spray-on wax that also act as a lubricant for your drying towel to avoid scratches.

BTW, 2-bucket method is not an over kill. It's a proper way. There's even other more anal method than what I've mentioned above.

Moreover, try to avoid automatic car washes or those with brushes. They have very strong chemicals that strip off your paint's protection like waxes and the brushes/mitts themselves scratch the paint too.

Last edited by sygfrid; 12-15-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #456
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
Try to invest in dual action polisher as they are clearcoat friendly. You can start with this too: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-DMCK...8037396&sr=8-7

For detailing tips, YouTube has Apex Detailing, Pan the Organizer, AMMO NYC, etc. for reference. I find AMMO NYC website very useful as they have lots of tips there.

Turtle Wax has been getting the attention again of the detailing pros in the recent years & have just released their new Hybrid Solutions PRO line up. The new TW HYBRID SOLUTIONS PRO GRAPHENE FLEX WAX has been getting so much praises from the pros esp. since they are using pure graphene. Since graphene has tighter molecular structure than ceramic, perhaps this will solve your problem.

I haven't tried it yet as it's not available in Canada as of the moment & I would have crossed the border if it's not closed. If you're in the US, you can order it directly from Turtle Wax but, from what I know, it's widely available in the US.
Suggestions for a polisher? Would prefer not cheap junk, but also not wanting pro level equipment. Something that would at least be marketable if I would want to upgrade or decide to toss in the towel. ahah
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #457
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Garage
Quote:
Suggestions for a polisher? Would prefer not cheap junk, but also not wanting pro level equipment. Something that would at least be marketable if I would want to upgrade or decide to toss in the towel. ahah
You won't go wrong with Meguiar's DA Microfiber system & MT300 DA polisher

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2020, 10:27 PM   #458
Gendry

Drives: GTS
If you are looking to do paint correction as a beginner, I wouldn't be so big on the brand, but just make sure to start with a DA polisher rather than a rotary, a lot more paint-friendly and less likely to burn through the paint. Secondly, try a less aggressive/abrasive polish that has low cut, just so you can observe how it works prior to use. Lastly, work panel by panel and avoid sealing with a ceramic coating, but rather a wax or sealant afterwards. That should help you get your head around it.

photo: @benbucketz
ceramic coating:
Gendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #459
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendry View Post
avoid sealing with a ceramic coating
Can you expound on this more? I just ceramic coated mine a few months ago and it seems so far like a much better option than waxing/sealing every couple months.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #460
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Can you expound on this more? I just ceramic coated mine a few months ago and it seems so far like a much better option than waxing/sealing every couple months.

It is difficult to apply for a newer/inexperienced detailer. Once your adept at detailing/polishing and waxing then you move on to ceramic coatings.

Once applied, you cannot easily go back into the polishing/finish steps of a detail if you screw up or have missed defects after application.

Once it is on, it is on. It's staying that way until it breaks down without some serious elbow grease, time, and skills using tough degreasers, paint thinners and heavier abrasives (sandpaper and cutting polish) to remove the coating which can harm the paint itself in used incorrectly.

Quote:

Chemical Guy's Torx brand may be just what your looking for.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:26 PM   #461
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The new graphene spray wax from turtle wax looks interesting since they claim that you can indefinitely maintain the coating if you use it as a dry aid now and then.

The base requirement is that you fully decontaminate, polish and prep the paint to accept the coating on its first application.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detailersdomain, detailing product, paint correction