follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #365
smoke86

Drives: smoke Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow my eyes are bleeding from reading. Nice info guys. Personally power wise in
n/a cars for the track and local twists if someone wants a piece lol, I have always gone for suspension upgrades, than the motor. My recipe is always been all at once: mild cam for hp in the mid to upper rpms which is where u wanna be for auto x anyhow, headers, full cai intake, full header back ss hfc exhaust with a quarter inch bigger pipe all the way back, stock muffler unless it's too heavy, and of course a tune. The tune is the most important thing for me, I don't believe in bolt on power without a tune, losing power in the lower rpms to gain here or gain there, running too rich or too lean, puking smoke, I've seen it a million times. I understand you can go way more agressive or go forced induction but for me there's nothing like n/a power through those curves! Hope I'm not thread jacking just my 2 cents.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk
smoke86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoke86 For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 02:29 AM   #366
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,260 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
How about childhood experiences?
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, ol @nikitopo may wish not to share those, they may bring back painful moments ......

humfrz
I don't have issues to share my background, but since you are trying to have fun of it I will not share it.

The only thing I can share about my childhood is that I was a gifted student in mathematics and in fact my math teachers were giving me the chance to draw & write on the chalkboard every time they were teaching and in general help the other students.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:43 AM   #367
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
How about childhood experiences?
Searching his user name would indicate Germany.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 02:51 AM   #368
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Who says that? You? Did you make a vehicle inspection and did you get an approval of your changes from an approved inspector? When I changed the factory suspension to coilovers the car was inspected twice by Dekra. First time it didn't pass even the changed part was suitable for the car and had all the necessary certifications. Everything counts and noone can say by himself that his car is safe.

If you are modifying a car to drive it in your own yard, then you can do whatever you like and you can say that nothing is ruined. If you drive it on public roads, then you should be responsible. At least in civilized and developed countries and not as you said in countries with oppressive governments.
I'm not sure you are seeing the irony in praising a "civilized" nation that wont allow you to mod your car without government permission.

Last edited by PetrolioBenzina; 05-06-2018 at 03:07 AM.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
venturaII (03-28-2019)
Old 05-06-2018, 03:31 AM   #369
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't have issues to share my background, but since you are trying to have fun of it I will not share it.

The only thing I can share about my childhood is that I was a gifted student in mathematics and in fact my math teachers were giving me the chance to draw & write on the chalkboard every time they were teaching and in general help the other students.
My questions about your age and profession and country of residence were sincere.

Sorry, I was jest ah funnen with ol @mrg666 's follow up question.

Hey, my teachers let me write on the chalk board a lot too ....... it was a similar sentence, over and over and over again .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #370
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,260 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Searching his user name would indicate Germany.
I live in Germany the last 7 years, but I am Greek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
My questions about your age and profession and country of residence were sincere.

Sorry, I was jest ah funnen with ol @mrg666 's follow up question.
ok, no worries.

44, IT, Germany.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #371
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
I live in Germany the last 7 years, but I am Greek.

ok, no worries.

44, IT, Germany.
Thanks.

Ah, yes, I lived in Germany for a couple of years......back in the 60's, but I am hillbilly from Ohio. I had a highly modified VW bug. Yep, a 40 liter, neoprene tank, filled with gas, in the front, under the hood, covered with an Army blanket. What a bomb just looking for an accident. However, it gave me a long range, filled with $.23 cents per gallon gasoline from the military EES.

44, that's a good age (as they say,(for some of us) ...... "old enough to know better, but, young enough to not give a shit".

IT ....... good profession ..... very universal .....

Germany ....... a beautiful country to be driving a sporty car ......

Have a great rest of the weekend.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (05-07-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #372
Harey

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke86 View Post
Wow my eyes are bleeding from reading. Nice info guys. Personally power wise in
n/a cars for the track and local twists if someone wants a piece lol, I have always gone for suspension upgrades, than the motor. My recipe is always been all at once: mild cam for hp in the mid to upper rpms which is where u wanna be for auto x anyhow, headers, full cai intake, full header back ss hfc exhaust with a quarter inch bigger pipe all the way back, stock muffler unless it's too heavy, and of course a tune. The tune is the most important thing for me, I don't believe in bolt on power without a tune, losing power in the lower rpms to gain here or gain there, running too rich or too lean, puking smoke, I've seen it a million times. I understand you can go way more agressive or go forced induction but for me there's nothing like n/a power through those curves! Hope I'm not thread jacking just my 2 cents.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk
Have you driven a car with a positive displacement supercharger? Feels like an n/a engine, just a much bigger one!
Harey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harey For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (05-08-2018)
Old 03-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #373
007BRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ Yellow Spec Ed 1of500
350 HP Makes my BRZ the fun car I wanted

After 4 years of driving my 2013 BRZ Limited, I decided to go to a Stage1 setup/build day one with my 2017 BRZ Yellow Edition. Sent it to Crawford in California from Orlando, Florida. It came back with less than 100 HP more.
I changed out the suspension to KW coils and 18" wheels 8.5 with Michelin 245/30 18 PSS. Delicious Flexfuel install, aluminum drive shaft, and lots of bushing changes. and retuned it again.
I drive the same winding roads, Streets and Turnpike here in Clermont as I did with the 2013 Limited.
I would never go back to a basic BRZ.
007BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 007BRZ For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #374
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
So here is my take on this original question:

Having come from much more powerful cars like the bmw M2 and a porsche boxster s, I enjoy driving my 86 significantly more than either.

The reason I enjoy it is not because it's a better car, a faster car, a better handling car, a more comfortable car, or any of the normal reasons. It is because it is a more engaging car.

With lots of power, you can just mash the gas and go fast. Anyone can do it out of the box. Fun? sure. With the 86/brz you have to truly master the car to drive it really fast. That's the fun of this car, the challenge and engagement of chasing mastery. If you shift too soon, oops... torque dip, if you break too soon, oops you can't get back up to speed coming out of the corner, if you don't heel toe just right, oops you're in the torque dip. This I believe is why the torque dip is there and why they don't shy away and pretend it's not or change it in a revamp. It was always meant to be there to give us a challenge. You have to get the mix just right and doing so requires you to really focus, practice, and work for it. This car is like a video game where you have to keep replaying until you get it perfect to win the level, everything designed for a reason to make it engaging and challenging. This is the fun of the car and to add more power, to make the car just fast no matter what, it ruins that.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (01-22-2020), gravitylover (03-28-2019), joro2 (03-28-2019), NLSP (03-28-2019), sid_g (03-27-2019), Tcoat (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #375
Hypnocracy
Hypnocratic Missionary

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
So here is my take on this original question:

Having come from much more powerful cars like the bmw M2 and a porsche boxster s, I enjoy driving my 86 significantly more than either.

The reason I enjoy it is not because it's a better car, a faster car, a better handling car, a more comfortable car, or any of the normal reasons. It is because it is a more engaging car.

With lots of power, you can just mash the gas and go fast. Anyone can do it out of the box. Fun? sure. With the 86/brz you have to truly master the car to drive it really fast. That's the fun of this car, the challenge and engagement of chasing mastery. If you shift too soon, oops... torque dip, if you break too soon, oops you can't get back up to speed coming out of the corner, if you don't heel toe just right, oops you're in the torque dip. This I believe is why the torque dip is there and why they don't shy away and pretend it's not or change it in a revamp. It was always meant to be there to give us a challenge. You have to get the mix just right and doing so requires you to really focus, practice, and work for it. This car is like a video game where you have to keep replaying until you get it perfect to win the level, everything designed for a reason to make it engaging and challenging. This is the fun of the car and to add more power, to make the car just fast no matter what, it ruins that.

Hypnocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnocracy For This Useful Post:
xdavidx (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 02:00 AM   #376
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
In my opinion, I don't think more power will ruin the car.
I just think that if I can't even handle a 200hp, how can I handle higher hp car.
I have thought of getting a supercharger but I ended up spending it all on suspension, tires, and brake.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:38 AM   #377
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Upgrade everything.

You can never have enough power, having to little traction, well you can work on that.

Hell, I've watched a 700hp 86 do laps around Eastern Creek, so, there's a starting point for your power goals.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:56 AM   #378
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,109 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
You can never have to much power, too little traction can be a issue, insufficient brakes to, poor choice of suspension, ditto, crap tyres, yeap, BUT, with good engineering practices these things can be dialed out.

But then there is the elephant in the room, drivers skill, which again, can, nay, may be fixed.

I've never meet a racecar with to much power.

I have met alot of people lacking the talent to control a high powered car though.

One of those guys looks at me when I'm shaving.

Yeah, he is a ****.....
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-28-2019)