follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
Peaty
Scooby***s Guy

Drives: 2019 Impreza Sport - MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Aftermarket or OEM rear diffuser install

I've seen install pages on this before but decided to do one of my own mostly just showing pictures. The instructions are pretty good but a little vague in areas. This is for a non OEM rear diffuser but I used the attached OEM install directions to help me install mine. I'm pretty sure the OEM one can be done the same way.

I got this one here on my 2016 BRZ:

Amazon Rear bumper lower diffuser

There seems to be various places to get the same thing including ebay.

For my install I did not remove the bumper as the OEM instructions tell you to do. I also installed the end brackets and used pretty much all the hardware supplied with the diffuser.

I had to drill three holes, one for the very center fastener (honestly I think this is overkill but did it anyway) and the very end bracket require a small hole drilled in the bumper.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf E5610CA000 BRZ REAR DIFFUSER GENUINE OEM.pdf (7.95 MB, 1085 views)

2019 Impreza 5 Dr - MT, 2013 OBW - Premium, 2001 Forester S, 1999 Miata MT

Last edited by Peaty; 07-14-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peaty For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (08-18-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Peaty
Scooby***s Guy

Garage
The install is not very difficult but what really helps is an 8mm gear wrench. All the bolts are supposed to come in from the top making tightening the bolts tricky.

You need to pop out two fasteners under the back up lamps and two large ones on the left and right. These will not be reused, my kit supplied two of the larger ones that are longer to accommodate the thickness of the diffuser. Note on these large ones. Once they are in place they won's come out without most likely snapping them. I tried but gave up short of damaging them.

Look at the attached PDF and my Photos and you will get a good idea on how to do the install. My photos should show you how to install the end brackets. That was the only thing I could not find photos on how exactly they go on. With these brackets you need to drill a small hole for the bolt in the bumper. Marking a hole to drill is the most difficult part. I marked it with a hooked scribe when the bracket was in place. If you find an easier way please share.

Have a look at the photos. I did this with the car on Rino Ramps and it was pretty simple. I installed the very middle fastener where they want you to drill a hole, honestly this isn't needed. Kind of overkill if you ask me but I did it anyway.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peaty For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (07-14-2016), BAOVAN (12-31-2016), BR-ZED (08-18-2016), Busybee (05-15-2020), Tselmeg916 (07-14-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@Peaty thanks so much for this thread and taking the time to put together the pictures/instructions. I actually bought this diffuser because of your review on Amazon. The pictures there reassured me it would be a good fit, and then I found the thread here which helped a ton. I usually don't like gambling on Amazon/Ebay parts, but this particular one was reviewed highly.

I do have to say I would rank the kit a 4/5. Good fitment, but poor quality control on the hardware. I found that most of my clips had the plastic circle part still attached to the plastic (i.e., hanging chad style). I had to pull these out with a needle nose pliers, which for the most part worked, but in some cases left behind enough plastic that made threading the screw kind of difficult.

Here are my tips to anyone installing this:

1. Buy a 8 mm ratcheting wrench. Worth it. I used my socket/ratchet which was doable, but its a bit tight. The hardest part was attaching the brackets to the bumper (where you drill the holes). The plastic trim piece shown in Peaty's last picture does move up, but doesn't give you much room to get a ratchet in there. I actually took out a few of the clips in the fender liner (4 total) to give the bumper/plastic even more flex to push it out of the way. I managed to attach the clips, but reattaching the fender liner is a pain in the ass, because those plastic clips are 100 times easier to remove than they are to reinstall... blows my mind but I have never had such a hard time getting those types of clips back in before in my life. Must be because this car is half Toyota... :-D

2. Getting the clip/bolt installed in the "above each exhaust opening" picture above was a pain with my hanging chad hardware. I actually pushed too hard on one of the bolts trying to get it to thread and it pushed the metal nut out of the plastic housing, forever lost inside my diffuser. So I gave up and used one of the trim plastic rivets that came off the car (plastic bracket you remove). So much easier. Perfect fit. Should have done that from the get go.

3. I didn't drill the center hole - seemed to not really need it with 10 other attachment points on the diffuser, 4 of which are close to the center.

4. The hooked scribe method was great for marking the holes to drill in the bumper. Actually to elaborate on what Peaty said, I installed the brackets on my diffuser, and then attached it to the car (it hooks onto the bumper and actually sits right where it should with no hardware holding it on). (You could also use some vice grips to hold it in place if you are worried.) Then, I aligned the brackets to be parallel to the grooves in the bumper, pushed the diffuser up so the bracket touched the bumper, and then used the scribe to mark the hole. Drilled first with a small bit, then a larger bit the size of the hardware. Worked great.

In retrospect, I actually would consider getting a set of brand new clips and use them all instead of using the supplied hardware (except for the metal brackets on the very far end of the diffuser). Would make removal/install much faster IMO.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
Peaty
Scooby***s Guy

Garage
Would you mind if I added your comments to my scoobymods page? I didn't have to deal with the OEM muffler I suspect it will be more difficult with that in place.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sure go ahead. I have an account over there, but it's been about 10 years since I've posted.

Interesting point about the stock muffler. I actually have the Invidia N1, so lots of extra room down there. This might be more of a pain to install if you have a stock exhaust.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BR-ZED For This Useful Post:
Peaty (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
Peaty
Scooby***s Guy

Garage
Thanks - added with credit of course

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread...all-14897.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Peaty For This Useful Post:
BR-ZED (08-22-2016)
Old 09-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
ugrin

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
I've seen install pages on this before but decided to do one of my own mostly just showing pictures. The instructions are pretty good but a little vague in areas. This is for a non OEM rear diffuser but I used the attached OEM install directions to help me install mine. I'm pretty sure the OEM one can be done the same way.

I got this one here on my 2016 BRZ:

Amazon Rear bumper lower diffuser

There seems to be various places to get the same thing including ebay.

For my install I did not remove the bumper as the OEM instructions tell you to do. I also installed the end brackets and used pretty much all the hardware supplied with the diffuser.

I had to drill three holes, one for the very center fastener (honestly I think this is overkill but did it anyway) and the very end bracket require a small hole drilled in the bumper.
Hi guys,
I've been looking for rear diffuser on somehow more affordable price since the OEM is overpriced IMO. The link from Amazon is no longer available. Anybody ran accross a good quality rear difuser with OEM look ? Thanks
ugrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
Peaty
Scooby***s Guy

Garage
there are a number on ebay this looks similar https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stock-LA-Re....c100752.m1982