follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
240sx comparison?

Anyone got a 240sx and a FR-s or BRZ and would like to compare? Im in the market for a new car but only got about 9k so a nice 240sx is more on what i can afford and would really like to hear some feed back on what you guys think of those cars. I really like the FR-S but i will have to shelve that for a couple of years.
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
FrX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1993 Lexus SC300
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
A stock 240sx, in my experience, tends to be more towards the understeer side of balance, and is a lot looser suspension wise in comparison to the FR-S. However the feeling becomes quite similar when the suspension is upgraded with quality parts. The newest 240sx's you are going to find are 15 years old at this point. So, you are going be replacing/upgrading the old and worn suspension bits anyways.

The stock KA motor is significantly less powerful than the FA20, however the torque numbers are not that far off, they just don't rev quite as high. They can still be quite fun. Of course, if you are willing to put in a bit of work, there is the venerable SR20 swap. Those are *very* fun.

If you are not quite in the financial position to purchase a brand-new FR-S or BRZ, I think that a 240sx would be a good choice. Just be aware, however, that they are getting up there in age. You will likely have to put in quite a bit of work to maintain it and/or repair the problems it already present.

The 240sx is a great car, and is probably the car that made me into enthusiast I am today.
FrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I was thinking the same, it a 240 is if I CANNOT for any way, get an FRS/BRZ.. Here's why

Age, New car vs old car everyone has beaten up and with no question hammered the engine

Warranty, this is very important, because what if you spend $9k, 3 months later something gives out, guess who pays it - YOU and lets say it somethin around $500, you just payed $9,500 and so on

Theft is an issue as well. But this is unavoidable, and can happen to any car really, but 240's have a very high theft ranking and chop shops love em.. On a FRS/BRZ, since they're brand new, this isn't too bound to happen, mainly because people don't know the car.

This is going to be more rare, like S2000 rare vs 240's. Here in South FL its pretty much the same rarity level, but maybe where you are, it isn't.

MPG is better on a new engine for sure

Also, this will help build credit. I've thought this through, and the most reasonable purchase would be a FRS/BRZ
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I had a 240sx for a while, loved that car. I agree the stock suspension will definitely be soft and wobbly compared to the FRS/BRZ.

However, I think it's going to be impossible to find an unmolested one nowadays. I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale that wasn't in rough shape and way overpriced. I think a more realistic FRS/BRZ substitute would be to get a Miata and put a hardtop on... you can find really nice ones for ~$10k
-- Niki Lauda
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
elenien

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S MT
Garage
I had a 1991 240sx that finally gave up 5 years ago on its third engine. I loved that car. I still love that car. Out of the new cars, the FR-S/BRZ reminded me of it the most, though I can't say I ever drove the Miata (just the genesis coupe, etc).

The problem is that the 240s, as some have mentioned, are old cars. Not just the engines but everything else (the body, electrical, etc). Likely anything you will find will need work... which costs more money... and will not be the most reliable.

It was such a good car though... everyone in my family is tired of my complaints about its death, but it made an impression on my young mind. I loved it the first time I saw it, and all other cars still get compared to it.
elenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
well reason is i found a 3k one with proof of a sr20 swap from a reputable shop around in Arizona. I was thinking of just upgrading suspension and having a blast. The older body styling and being beaten up thing does worry me a lot though.
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
bjreynolds202

Drives: WRB 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyv90 View Post
Anyone got a 240sx and a FR-s or BRZ and would like to compare? Im in the market for a new car but only got about 9k so a nice 240sx is more on what i can afford and would really like to hear some feed back on what you guys think of those cars. I really like the FR-S but i will have to shelve that for a couple of years.

This is my s14, also drive a BRZ.
I bought the BRZ because it handled so closely to the s14 and had similar driving personalities. Ive always felt like the brz is basically a 2013 240sx. The biggest differences aside from the wear and tear on a 240sx for me have been as follows:
-steering. the 240sx isnt electric like the brz. so that kinda trips you up a bit.
-throttle response - the 240sx has a throttle body with a cable, not the electric response from the brz. I feel more directly connected when driving the 240sx even though the brz has more power.
-brake pedal. this is the biggest difference as the 240sx doesnt have ABS. If i brake to hard, Ill definitely slide. BRZ just stops as needed.
-cornering, with upgraded suspension arms and springs/shocks Id say they are on even ground. In my neighborhood I usally take a particular corner at around 45mph no squeals/skids/spins in the 240. When I got the BRZ, it will do about 50, but it also will snap the rear end out much quicker than the 240sx. So Id say that I know the 240's limits a little better given the connection it gives you when driving.
-quality. 240sx has serious age hindering this comparison, rattles, vibrations, squeaks, cracked interior pieces sometimes, longer cold starts, more regular maintenance rather than "mods". As much character as the car has, having a 25 mile work commute just got to be too loud, stiff and uncomfortable, hence buying the brz with similar performance and grinning when driving...yet quiet, stiff but not unforgiving, and the heated seats, there Ive been spoiled.

final word - even though I drive the brz more now. I cant go more than a week without craving a backroad run in the 240. Theres just something about the car that you simply cant get another car to drive like it. The brz is the closest youll get now in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
bjreynolds202 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjreynolds202 For This Useful Post:
koyv90 (01-21-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
You just necro'd a nearly four year old thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:42 PM   #9
bjreynolds202

Drives: WRB 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
Yeah I realized that pretty soon after I posted. But I was looking for this type of thread so others might be as well. Sorry.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
bjreynolds202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjreynolds202 View Post
Yeah I realized that pretty soon after I posted. But I was looking for this type of thread so others might be as well. Sorry.
Hey, I read it.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjreynolds202 View Post

This is my s14, also drive a BRZ.
I bought the BRZ because it handled so closely to the s14 and had similar driving personalities. Ive always felt like the brz is basically a 2013 240sx. The biggest differences aside from the wear and tear on a 240sx for me have been as follows:
-steering. the 240sx isnt electric like the brz. so that kinda trips you up a bit.
-throttle response - the 240sx has a throttle body with a cable, not the electric response from the brz. I feel more directly connected when driving the 240sx even though the brz has more power.
-brake pedal. this is the biggest difference as the 240sx doesnt have ABS. If i brake to hard, Ill definitely slide. BRZ just stops as needed.
-cornering, with upgraded suspension arms and springs/shocks Id say they are on even ground. In my neighborhood I usally take a particular corner at around 45mph no squeals/skids/spins in the 240. When I got the BRZ, it will do about 50, but it also will snap the rear end out much quicker than the 240sx. So Id say that I know the 240's limits a little better given the connection it gives you when driving.
-quality. 240sx has serious age hindering this comparison, rattles, vibrations, squeaks, cracked interior pieces sometimes, longer cold starts, more regular maintenance rather than "mods". As much character as the car has, having a 25 mile work commute just got to be too loud, stiff and uncomfortable, hence buying the brz with similar performance and grinning when driving...yet quiet, stiff but not unforgiving, and the heated seats, there Ive been spoiled.

final word - even though I drive the brz more now. I cant go more than a week without craving a backroad run in the 240. Theres just something about the car that you simply cant get another car to drive like it. The brz is the closest youll get now in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
The handling feels even better with an SR. Lighter front-end. And easier to get more power.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:33 AM   #12
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have both.

My 240 is more or less a weapon, though, so it's apples to bananas. Full spherical bushing car, 2550# and 380-400whp lol.

BRZ .... none of those things lol.

e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e1_griego For This Useful Post:
koyv90 (01-21-2016), Sideways&Smiling (01-12-2016)