follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
chopstickz

Drives: Boost.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
I remember Melvin posted a vid of an AE86 manhandling a Type R.

[u2b]gTeD9_Fa0iQ[/u2b]
Let's not forget that this is a pretty heavily modified NA 4age with ~175hp, however Tsuchiya's 86 is a decent amount of lbs lighter.
chopstickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #16
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
the itr doesnt weigh that much. its also a pretty extreme car despite being fwd. actually one of the most fun cars ive ever driven.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #17
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
This topic reminded me of that kid on a integra who showed up on our touge run showing off his fwd skill going down hill, we let him go on the second pass & we hear this long tire screech well here is a pics

4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #18
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I got to play with a ITR on the track once in my first Impreza that only had ~120hp. I could outrun him on the corners easily, but he had 100+hp on me (intake/full exhaust/etc.) so thats about as far as that story goes, LOL!

However, If the Toyobaru is anything like a MX-5 in terms of handling, it will easily outrun a stock Type-R. The power/weight is pretty much dead even, but the weight on the FRS/BRZ is MUCH lower and the RWD will let you get on the gas a bit sooner than the Type-R and get out of the corners quicker.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #19
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
Quote:
I remember Melvin posted a vid of an AE86 manhandling a Type R.

[u2b]gTeD9_Fa0iQ[/u2b]
926kg vs. 1056kg, so there's no surprise here!
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #20
chopstickz

Drives: Boost.
exactly
Old 11-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #21
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
With drivetrain losses being less in a fwd car, I'd say both are fairly evenly matched. Honda's R cars.... most of their sporty cars in fact, are tuned to oversteer. It'd likely come down to driver ability on anything but a straight road. I know everyone likes to bash Honda because of the whole stigma to them, but guess what? As awesome a car as the FR-S is going to be, it's likely gonna fall victim to the same mess of ricers.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #22
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
I got to play with a ITR on the track once in my first Impreza that only had ~120hp. I could outrun him on the corners easily, but he had 100+hp on me (intake/full exhaust/etc.) so thats about as far as that story goes, LOL!

However, If the Toyobaru is anything like a MX-5 in terms of handling, it will easily outrun a stock Type-R. The power/weight is pretty much dead even, but the weight on the FRS/BRZ is MUCH lower and the RWD will let you get on the gas a bit sooner than the Type-R and get out of the corners quicker.
Driver makes a huge difference. I've passed many faster cars in mine (gt3s, sti, evos, etc) with my basically stock car so that's not really evidence of anything

I'm compare autox times in (harder to get both cars to sebring to test there) both once I have an frs/brz. I'd guess if subaru hits the specs posted that they'll be very very close to each other.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #23
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post

i dont think the frs is going to be faster or any where near as sporty as the itr. that car is hundreds of pounds lighter than the frs and i dont think the drivetrain is going to be as race oriented either.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #24
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4agze View Post
This topic reminded me of that kid on a integra who showed up on our touge run showing off his fwd skill going down hill, we let him go on the second pass & we hear this long tire screech well here is a pics
This was one was at the track... right! (pssst no street racing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstickz View Post
Let's not forget that this is a pretty heavily modified NA 4age with ~175hp, however Tsuchiya's 86 is a decent amount of lbs lighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post
926kg vs. 1056kg, so there's no surprise here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstickz View Post
exactly
Both start off the line side by side so power is a good match up and as mentioned, the Type in OEM form is a good piece but has some upgrades too (listen to the idle).

True that the AE86 is lighter, by like 300 lbs but the advantage is due those better drive. It's easier to push rather then to pull. Look at 2:45 at the double apex and how much time and drive the Type is losing and then to get on the gas so late.

Here is another example with a Civic Type R! CTR, has a much better jump but the exit drive is what kills it b/c of the oversteer.

[u2b]omqFJcrFnHQ[/u2b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
With drivetrain losses being less in a fwd car, I'd say both are fairly evenly matched. Honda's R cars.... most of their sporty cars in fact, are tuned to oversteer. It'd likely come down to driver ability on anything but a straight road. I know everyone likes to bash Honda because of the whole stigma to them, but guess what? As awesome a car as the FR-S is going to be, it's likely gonna fall victim to the same mess of ricers.
+1 esp with the steady flow of newbs posting up new threads about the same shit w/out even searching.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #25
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
You can't compare modified cars, well you can but it's ALWAYS a pointless exercise. You can make a Yugo destroy an ITR, a CTR, a FRS and every AE86 in existance if you want to put enough money into it.

His line is all f'd up during that set of corners, early apex, wrong side of the track, and then bounces over the curbing..

Let's stick to comparing cars stock vs stock.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #26
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
You can't compare modified cars, well you can but it's ALWAYS a pointless exercise. You can make a Yugo destroy an ITR, a CTR, a FRS and every AE86 in existance if you want to put enough money into it.

His line is all f'd up during that set of corners, early apex, wrong side of the track, and then bounces over the curbing..

Let's stick to comparing cars stock vs stock.
That's Defense by blocking his line or breaking his concentration!

TBH, even in stock trim a FWD vs RWD comparo is rhetorical...
Old 11-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #27
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I think the ITR is the best FWD drivers car out there but I am really hoping the FRS is a ITR but RWD which I think will give it a more sporty feel and more fun due to rwd

Honda gets a bad name due to the scene but their cars are really well made and designed and anything with a Type R is on a entirely different level compared to its regular counterpart
Old 11-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
Quote:
This was one was at the track... right! (pssst no street racing)
yes its a track at night lol but thats like 7yrs ago I dont do it anymore

only thing I see wrong with a fwd is when elevation change like down hill & off camber turns a fwd will understeer but got to admire how well build a ITR, I remember back then when honda stated that they will bring the ITR here in US soil on limited number & it will be under the acura name and as i remember a lot of honda heads rolled and at the end acura Type-R was a success actually sold out half before it hit the showroom. this reminds you of anything like what going on with the scion FRS right now.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote