follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Why no ECU Flash?

Is there a reason why ECU Flash is not being used on the stock BRZ ECU and instead having to use ECUtek?

Last edited by ngabdala; 09-02-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What do you mean? I'm looking right at my EcuTek kit right now. The thread just two below yours is specifically about ecu flashing. Visconti Tuning - Latest BRZ Flash Info
Old 09-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

This is my first Subaru but I heard people did ECU Flash on the stock ECU for their WRX/STI. Just wondering why it's different with the BRZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
What do you mean? The thread just two below yours is specifically about ecu flashing. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13307
Old 09-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Mitch
form follows function

Drives: RIP '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngabdala View Post
This is my first Subaru but I heard people did ECU Flash on the stock ECU for their WRX/STI. Just wondering why it's different with the BRZ.
It's not.

*Specifically, the EcuTek kit you get from Visconti is a usb to OBDII cable, a license of the EcuTek software, and a tune to flash onto the ecu.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
The ECU flash he is talking about is for open source tuning using the Tactrix cable. The BRZ ECU hasn't been reverse engineered like the WRX/STI one has so it is not supported yet. There is a thread on here for open source tuning but not much info in there yet.

Hopefully at some point someone figures out the BRZ ECU so flashing and tuning is basically free like the WRX/STI. Well the tuning isn't free unless you can do it yourself.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Ohh. Hmm I'll probably just go to my local performance garage then rather than go with the kit and map from visconti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
It's not.

*Specifically, the EcuTek kit you get from Visconti is a usb to OBDII cable, a license of the EcuTek software, and a tune to flash onto the ecu.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Ohh. Hmm I'll probably just go to my local performance garage then rather than go with the kit and map from visconti
The R&D done by Visconti isn't something your local garage is going to be able to whip up overnight, much less in a weekend. Even if they do a day of tuning, it won't be near what Visconti has on the market. Something to keep in mind when they price things for you.
dabocx (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8691
Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

I am going to be patient and wait until next year I have decided. My local garage does about 50 subie and 50 mitsu a day so I'd rather wait while I build my relationship with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
The R&D done by Visconti isn't something your local garage is going to be able to whip up overnight, much less in a weekend. Even if they do a day of tuning, it won't be near what Visconti has on the market. Something to keep in mind when they price things for you.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am going to be patient and wait until next year I have decided. My local garage does about 50 subie and 50 mitsu a day so I'd rather wait while I build my relationship with them.
they tune 50 mitsus/subies a day? How many dynos are they running simultaneously?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Not sure I haven't been there but I trust my friend. He drove to Ohio from Massachusetts and placed 2nd place. I know they have a Mustang Dyno.

Either way, I don't think being patient is the wrong decision. I'll see what's available when it's time to boost next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
they tune 50 mitsus/subies a day? How many dynos are they running simultaneously?