follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
rowen0fpts

Drives: 2016 series hyperblue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do we know if the TRD exhaust and handling package will be available for the GR86?

I saw the news about the weird company with the weird name releasing parts for the GR. I'm confused. Are these going to be the OEM options available when configurating the vehicle? That's what the announcement made it sound like.

Or do you think we will have the classic TRD exhaust and handling package that was available for last gen?
rowen0fpts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:12 AM   #2
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowen0fpts View Post
I saw the news about the weird company with the weird name releasing parts for the GR. I'm confused. Are these going to be the OEM options available when configurating the vehicle? That's what the announcement made it sound like.

Or do you think we will have the classic TRD exhaust and handling package that was available for last gen?
GR takes over TRD as far as the sports car stuff goes. So it’ll be the new OEM branding. Down the road there could be a handling package similar to the “TRD Package” from last gen, but it seems like Toyota is taking the old school route this time around with their performance products.

Pretty much make a sports car that’s good out the gate and release a bunch of oem parts that give the car a reasonable upgrade. (Similar to when the original AE86 came out or the MR2)
Jeonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
rowen0fpts

Drives: 2016 series hyperblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeonsa View Post
GR takes over TRD as far as the sports car stuff goes. So it’ll be the new OEM branding. Down the road there could be a handling package similar to the “TRD Package” from last gen, but it seems like Toyota is taking the old school route this time around with their performance products.

Pretty much make a sports car that’s good out the gate and release a bunch of oem parts that give the car a reasonable upgrade. (Similar to when the original AE86 came out or the MR2)
Damn that's a little disappointing. I love the sound of the TRD exhaust and was hoping to easily add that on to the purchase. Are the GR exhausts even good? And do you think there will be any way to request to have the TRD exhaust added on instead, seeing as how it's offered to some of their other vehicles?
rowen0fpts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #4
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Quote:
Damn that's a little disappointing. I love the sound of the TRD exhaust and was hoping to easily add that on to the purchase. Are the GR exhausts even good? And do you think there will be any way to request to have the TRD exhaust added on instead, seeing as how it's offered to some of their other vehicles?
Considering how hard Toyota is trying to brand Gazoo Racing, I’m sure the parts will be good. In a lot of ways Gazoo Racing is like the rebirth of TRD, it has a similar startup to Honda’s Mugen.

TRD is going to be a SUV/Truck thing going forward for now as I understood it.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #5
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The parts are already there in the JDM (brakes, exhaust, suspension etc.), but its extremely unlikely they will be offered as a 'package' (which is always way cheaper) until sales tail off.

You can still buy the parts separately from GR in japan, not sure about official local stock.

Last edited by Blighty; 11-02-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Considering how hard Toyota is trying to brand Gazoo Racing, I’m sure the parts will be good. In a lot of ways Gazoo Racing is like the rebirth of TRD, it has a similar startup to Honda’s Mugen.

TRD is going to be a SUV/Truck thing going forward for now as I understood it.
TRD never manufactured a single part. They designed them and contracted out to the best bidder. GR is exactly the same.
For all intents and purposes just scratch TRD off the parts, write in GR and call it a day.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #7
Jeonsa
Humble Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
TRD never manufactured a single part. They designed them and contracted out to the best bidder. GR is exactly the same.
For all intents and purposes just scratch TRD off the parts, write in GR and call it a day.
Yeah pretty much, that’s why I was kind of saying the rebirth of TRD. As fr as the Mugen part I was referencing the CEOs sons making a racing brand
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeonsa For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Exactly. It may be different staff in a different department or business entity, but from a consumer standpoint there's no difference. (And I'd be shocked if there weren't people at GR who used to work in TRD.)

My biggest question is whether the bolt-on exhaust "upgrade" you can buy from the dealership is going to do anything other than look/sound different. The description I've read in articles (since Toyota can't be bothered to pretend this car is a real thing and publish their own information on their own website) suggest it's a purely cosmetic upgrade.

I don't mind a different/better look/sound, but if it doesn't DO anything I may as well save my money and just buy a big NOS sticker or something like that. At least those add HP, right?
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah pretty much, that’s why I was kind of saying the rebirth of TRD. As fr as the Mugen part I was referencing the CEOs sons making a racing brand
Yep.
Personally I feel that the GR branding is just diluting the badge. It used to be the actual racing arm but is now nothing more than a marketing tool.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Exactly. It may be different staff in a different department or business entity, but from a consumer standpoint there's no difference. (And I'd be shocked if there weren't people at GR who used to work in TRD.)

My biggest question is whether the bolt-on exhaust "upgrade" you can buy from the dealership is going to do anything other than look/sound different. The description I've read in articles (since Toyota can't be bothered to pretend this car is a real thing and publish their own information on their own website) suggest it's a purely cosmetic upgrade.

I don't mind a different/better look/sound, but if it doesn't DO anything I may as well save my money and just buy a big NOS sticker or something like that. At least those add HP, right?
The TRD was nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade so nothing will change there. There are no gains to be had from any catback exhaust including the TRD.
That said the sound on my TRD exhaust equipped FRS was far superior to my stock 86 and is worthwhile so I will pick up another TRD system someday.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #11
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
My only take is that GR is a much better phonetic acronym than TRD.

No longer "turd" it is now "GURRR!"
azndavepgh (11-02-2021), Blighty (11-02-2021), calcal (11-03-2021), Spuds (11-04-2021), Tcoat (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
My only take is that GR is a much better phonetic acronym than TRD.

No longer "turd" it is now "GURRR!"
Blighty (11-03-2021), Pete (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #13
azndavepgh

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Quote:
That said the sound on my TRD exhaust equipped FRS was far superior to my stock 86 and is worthwhile so I will pick up another TRD system someday.
I had the TRD exhaust on my 2000 Celica GT-S. It sounded pretty good revving out the 2ZZ-GE.
azndavepgh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to azndavepgh For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #14
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Quote:
The TRD was nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade so nothing will change there. There are no gains to be had from any catback exhaust including the TRD.
I would buy it for the sound (depending on price), if it weren't for the fact that this car is meant not only to end the too-many-years-without-a-sportscar drought but to also - hopefully - get my wife interested in sports cars.

She likes the way it looks (and that it's not expensive), so if I get an automatic she'll drive it and if I have any luck at all, love it.

THEN we start talking about how to make it more fun.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-02-2021)