follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #1
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tire wear and tire noise on different tracks (Pitt Race vs Mid Ohio)

I recently participated in track days in Pittsburgh International Race Complex (Pitt Race) and Mid Ohio Sports Car Course.

I noticed that my tires (Bridgestone Potenza Sport) were almost silent in Pitt Race and very loud in Mid Ohio.
Tire wear was also different - both tracks wore the rears about the same (around 0.5 mm of tread depth) but Mid Ohio wore the fronts about half as the rears (0.23 mm) while Pitt Race wore the left front by 0.9 mm and the right front by 0.4 mm.

Both days were about the same weather - partly cloudy with temps in the high 70s to low 80s.

I'm a novice on the track but have sim-raced both tracks extensively and felt comfortable pushing the car on both tracks about the same (in braking and turning).

My street wear is about twice as fast on the rear than the front, similar to the Mid Ohio wear.

Is there some characteristic of the track that would cause the tires to be silent or loud and to wear at such different rates? Subjectively I felt that Pitt Race had much more consistent grip and was much more confidence inspiring than Mid Ohio (which had a lot of variation and was often squirmy).

I've also did SCCA Starting Line autocross school in a fairly worn parking lot and the tires were pretty loud as well.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:14 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Tons of variables, including surface, driver comfort, and general car condition/setup.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
SCFD (01-13-2023)
Old 08-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
raisingAnarchy

Drives: '20 Tundra, '84 SpecE30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mid-Ohio hasn't been resurfaced in a much longer time than PittRace. So comparatively, the PittRace surface is much newer and smoother. Another aspect to consider is you're heat cycling a set of street tires in fairly extreme conditions.

Did you notice any difference in noise going through Mid-Ohio's Keyhole with that new patch of concrete vs the back straight?
raisingAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raisingAnarchy For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 12:59 PM   #4
Ohio Enthusiast

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Mid-Ohio hasn't been resurfaced in a much longer time than PittRace
Yeah, that was my guess as well (same as with highway noise on new vs. old pavement, I supposed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Did you notice any difference in noise going through Mid-Ohio's Keyhole with that new patch of concrete vs the back straight?
Can't say that I remember a difference, but doesn't mean there wasn't one
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:20 PM   #5
WeekendTrackWarrior

Mid-ohio is the type of track that allows drivers to do nasty things to their tires IMHO. Almost every turn on that track has something interesting about it and many are easy to drive hard on your car without a lot of consequence. I believe there is a spot coming out of turn 6 that usually unweights the cars pretty good and that sort of stuff will wear extra rubber off as well. It probably has more to do with surfacing IMHO but I don't know anything about that sry. Many years since I have been there but have great memories.
WeekendTrackWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
RT-BRZ
FNG

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mid-Ohio needs repaved in the worst way. The owners know this and have lost the IMSA series because of it. It's a great track with a lot of history that is going down the tubes because the owners are apparently terrible.

While that may not be the primary reason for what you're seeing, it definitely doesn't help.
RT-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:36 AM   #7
V6Fan

Drives: Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
I recently participated in track days in Pittsburgh International Race Complex (Pitt Race) and Mid Ohio Sports Car Course.

I noticed that my tires (Bridgestone Potenza Sport) were almost silent in Pitt Race and very loud in Mid Ohio.
Tire wear was also different - both tracks wore the rears about the same (around 0.5 mm of tread depth) but Mid Ohio wore the fronts about half as the rears (0.23 mm) while Pitt Race wore the left front by 0.9 mm and the right front by 0.4 mm.

Both days were about the same weather - partly cloudy with temps in the high 70s to low 80s.

I'm a novice on the track but have sim-raced both tracks extensively and felt comfortable pushing the car on both tracks about the same (in braking and turning).

My street wear is about twice as fast on the rear than the front, similar to the Mid Ohio wear.

Is there some characteristic of the track that would cause the tires to be silent or loud and to wear at such different rates? Subjectively I felt that Pitt Race had much more consistent grip and was much more confidence inspiring than Mid Ohio (which had a lot of variation and was often squirmy).

I've also did SCCA Starting Line autocross school in a fairly worn parking lot and the tires were pretty loud as well. The training itself at the driving school was very useful for me and gave me some new practical skills. I also learned a lot about the dangers of driving under the influence based on https://papersowl.com/examples/driving-under-the-influence/ we had several presentations. But despite the fact that the driving school gave me a lot of knowledge, I would like the school track to be in better condition. It is very difficult to train to drive fast and keep the tires of the car in good condition.

Does the SCCA Starting Line autocross school have worn out parking and probably have poorer surface quality? Could tire wear be related to this school parking problem?

Last edited by V6Fan; 01-14-2023 at 07:34 PM.
V6Fan is offline   Reply With Quote