follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #6217
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubrz View Post
Yes, I mean you.
Yes, I thought it a possibility you were using regular...or something (local gas station lying to you).

While I loath the man and his service, I just don't see my data-logs doing that at all. Although, I do have the FI tune which is an "entirely different tune" as he would remind me. Just seems that if it were over aggressive it would be amplified under pressure... and being mapped for 93 octane as it is.

Perhaps you could save me the trouble of going back though thousands of posts and answer me this: are there many others with logs like this?
I have a feeling tis is one of the worst. I haven't seen many, if any, post logs like this. There's been stories of knock but nothing concrete that I can remember seeing. And I have read this whole thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleevin View Post
Would you say that there may not be as much knock correction if I was using 93 octane Chevron gas?
I have two chevron's on my uniform...?

Seriously though, I don't live in the US, our gas stations are completely different. I wouldn't know a chevron station if I was standing in one.

While talking about gas, because I too have wondered about it, this is what William sent me via his ticket system. I don't think he'd mind me sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning
Also I highly recommend using 76 or Sunoco as my favorite brands. Also Arco, surprisingly is pretty decent and also recommended. I did do a test on fuels a couple years ago (an aggressive tune on 76) and found that Chevron, Mobil and Exxon are awful blends, and knock very easily and needed to pull timing drastically. Where as 76, Sunoco and Arco seem to be the best. So if you can get to one of those stations and try it out I would like to see if that is any better in your vehicle.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #6218
DSTL

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'd suggest changing gas stations first and leaving the octane the same.
My personal experience with Visconti tunes and knock correction (I run pumpgas, E85, ad E70 at various times)... Looks a lot like a log I had on crappy gas when running a pumpgas tune. I flashed back to stock thinking the tune may be the problem and it got even worse. John looked at some logs / sent revised tunes and it didn't help. I never went back to that station and I haven't seen worse than a -1 KC on a Visconti tune since.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #6219
blubrz

Drives: WRB BRZ
@Calum. My point is that if you are odd man out, you might want to take a closer look at your car. In particular, gas is a good place to start surrounding the suggestion of detonation issues...if you care to experiment further.

Agreed. I've never had issue with Sunoco 93 in this car or my stage 2 WRX.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #6220
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
@Calum. My point is that if you are odd man out, you might want to take a closer look at your car. In particular, gas is a good place to start surrounding the suggestion of detonation issues...if you care to experiment further.

Agreed. I've never had issue with Sunoco 93 in this car or my stage 2 WRX.
I am taking a look at the local stations. But this particular station is one of, if not the busiest in the city. And all the local stations get their gas from the same refinery. There's really not that much chance for variation.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #6221
blubrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I am taking a look at the local stations. But this particular station is one of, if not the busiest in the city. And all the local stations get their gas from the same refinery. There's really not that much chance for variation.
I wouldn't be so sure...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #6222
DSTL

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Quote:
You try logging on the stock tune under the same circumstances? When I had bad gas I would really get knock coming from off throttle to part throttle quickly. Prime example would be coming up behind a slow car, letting off the throttle, then bumping the throttle while changing lanes to pass. Ping!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #6223
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure...
About what part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTL View Post
You try logging on the stock tune under the same circumstances? When I had bad gas I would really get knock coming from off throttle to part throttle quickly. Prime example would be coming up behind a slow car, letting off the throttle, then bumping the throttle while changing lanes to pass. Ping!
The stock tune is well known for tip out knock.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #6224
blubrz

Quote:
About what part?
Not much chance for variation.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #6225
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post

Quote:
Just seems that if it were over aggressive it would be amplified under pressure... and being mapped for 93 octane as it is.

Perhaps you could save me the trouble of going back though thousands of posts and answer me this: are there many others with logs like this?
You already saw my logs yesterday on 4 different John's FI tune. Each one which was supposed to be an improvement over the other, so what makes you think Calum is the odd an out? I flashed 15 tunes, of which 10 were supposed to be improvements over the other with logs and I NEVER saw knock lower then -3. I seriously thought there was something wrong with my car until I changed tuners.

Me and Calum are not the only ones who have experienced this either. Lastly, to rule out my car, I've flashed 16 Tony tunes, same gas station always, and only one has shown knock of max -2, never the -5 you can see in this four different logs.

All logs on FL good 93 pumpgas tune.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
mad_sb (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #6226
blubrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
You already saw my logs yesterday on 4 different John's FI tune. Each one which was supposed to be an improvement over the other, so what makes you think Calum is the odd an out?

Me and Calum are not the only ones who have experienced this either. Lastly, to rule out my car, I've flashed 16 Tony tunes, same gas station always, and only one has shown knock of max -2, never the -5 you can see in this four different logs.

All logs on FL good 93 pumpgas tune.
2 out of thousands...still odd.
Mine looks fine and I have the same car and tune, so what's the difference?
Sure, the next guy has way better customer service, looks at the knock and adjusts it for shitty gas...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #6227
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Not much chance for variation.
Well, could you explain why there would be lots of variation?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #6228
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sure, the next guy has way better customer service, looks at the knock and adjusts it for shitty gas...
Thousands of what?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #6229
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
I will contribute to this thread by adding two tags.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #6230
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
LOL... please, dont talk about what you have no idea....

First, we are not the only two.

Second, its not shitty gas.

Third, I asked Toni before letting him tune my car if he wanted to see what my previous logs look like and he said NO, it wont help me much....

So be blind about it, fine. But facts are facts.

Oh... and I have seen logs from 3 other FI forum member logs showing my same knocking behavior. Just to be clear not everyone knocks like this, theres tons of people with awesome experience with his tunes. Just dont come here all amazed and trying to discredit facts because it does happen and it does happen bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Calum (09-16-2013)

Closed Thread