follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Took dream job, but for pay cut

Hey guys,

First off, I normally am not the type of person to post personal things on a forum, but there is a first for everything right? and I really need someone to vent to. Yesterday was a crazy day for me, but in a good way (I hope). For starters, I am 31 and recently married. My wife is in her final stage of clinicals, and hoping a good job comes her way soon. But for now I am 90% of our income. Her parents give us a monthly check to help out while she is in school, so we are very comfortable as is. I have been with my company for 4 years, and make decent money. Its a great company, the people are awesome, but for the past two years I have been extremely unhappy. I took a promotion a few years ago and I was starting to feel the job just did not fit my personality. Its an extremely stressful job, 11-12 hour days, no lunch break, and working most weekends. Oh, and we are also on call after hours throughout the night. I put up with it because well, it paid the bills. But I came home crabby and complained to my wife every day. It was the closest I have ever felt to depression. I started feeling guilty about that, so the past year I have just bottled up my frustrations. Recently, a job opening became available which on paper, is the one job I have wanted to do my entire life. Yes, it is car related. Its the only thing that ever came naturally to me, its my #1 passion in life, and it truly makes me beyond happy. I told my wife for the heck of it, I am going to apply. My gut feeling wasn't sure what the outcome would be. A month goes by and I never heard back. I just figured, well, I gave it a shot and if its meant to be, its meant to be. Until last week. The owner of the company emailed me and said the job was still available and he would love to meet with me. We met yesterday and hit it off so well. He was a super down to earth nice guy. The job description he explained to me was exactly what I was looking for in a career. Its my first Mon-Fri job ever, and stills offers full benefits, PTO, and holiday pay. He then offered me the job on the spot, and I accepted it. It all happened so suddenly and caught me off guard, but for me this opportunity does not come around often. Now, I am taking a $3/hr pay cut to start out. Its what I made when I started my previous company. This is going to be a decent financial hit for us at the moment. I have been crunching numbers all night, and I don't see it crippling us, but it will be noticeable. Did I make the right choice? Was it extremely selfish of me to take my dream job when my wife is on the tail end of getting hers? She is very happy for me and excited, but scared at the same time, and I don't blame her. I am trying to look long term though. Within six months, we will be dual income for the first time in our lives, and I think things will be easier. I guess im not sure what advice im looking for since I already accepted the job, but some feedback would be appreciated. I think I just need a forum hug telling me "everything will be ok". Thanks for letting me rant.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Opposed For This Useful Post:
autobrz (09-13-2013), bakerr6 (09-13-2013), Diode Dynamics (09-12-2013), M-17 (09-12-2013), sklimo (09-12-2013), Sportsguy83 (09-13-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cut back a bit in the meantime, and enjoy your new job. You will look back on this and KNOW you made the right call. Things will more than normalize when your wife goes to work. You were not selfish, as you will be happier & this will help your marriage in the long-term...

Good for you that you'll be passionate and content in your new career. ENJOY!!!
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTB/ZR-1 For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
If it truly is your dream job, you made the right choice.

I would take my current job now over a job that paid me double but was a nightmare to work in any day of the week.

Its unfortunate that money is the center of our being, but nothing can replace a job you enjoy going to every day. I have had those kind of jobs before and it makes life straight up miserable.

3 years ago I was working a crappy job while looking for a job in my field. The economy was terrible and I couldn't find a thing, so was stuck working at a bank as a teller. I knew this was just an interim thing, but I finally stumbled across a job in my field. The lady I worked for ended up being a absolute lunatic and nightmare, and she nearly ruined my passion for what I went to school for 4 years for. I found a part time gig at my current place of work, and I stopped working at that place. This place saved my design career. I then had a buddy who worked for Orange and Rockland and got me in for a position because I thought my career choice I took was over with. The waiting list on this job is years...yet he got me in a few months if that. I took the test, told them I was going to take the job.

I was hellbent on leaving my current job but I was stuck in a predicament. Leave my job now that I enjoy, and take a job that will end up paying me way more in the longrun? I was faced with a hard decision, and it didn't make it any easier that I was only working part time and there was no guarantee i'd even be offered a full time gig.

At the last minute I called up O&R and told them I couldn't take the job. I've been here for 3 years now, and everyday I walk into work, not counting down the minutes until I leave. You can have all the money in the world but if you can't even enjoy life or have free time for that matter, I just don't see the point.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good on ya man, not only just you, but your family/ friends and everyone around you will benefit. Plus if your old job didn't have benefits and stuff, you might find your actually doing just as good if not better financially, don't underestimate those benefits!
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muskokan For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
^Yep, now it means more time for family, and more time for himself - all while enjoying what he loves doing. Can't beat it.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
My wife says I'm mean when I get home from work, but otherwise tolerable.

I don't know if she wants me to get a new job or what...
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to infinite012 For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
malubawla
poor man's evora

Drives: Turbod BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
you will definitely be much happier. i also took a paycut also by completely switching careers 3 years ago. I am so much more happier now and make a bit more than i did back then. my wife and i adjusted our budget when i switched jobs and our personal lives have benefited greatly. the income you lose, you will make it back quickly.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I think you made the best choice. You hear a lot of people say that it you want to wake up every morning feeling happy to go to work. I hope you have lots of fun at your new job and thanks a lot for sharing!

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelbyat07 For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
To the OP: without a doubt, you made the right choice. Work/life balance is important and I would dare say elusive to many of us (myself included). You did a courageous thing in seeking out and grabbing this opportunity. Be proud of yourself, support your wife in her school/career pursuits and go with it. Best of luck.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Congrats on the new gig. Money isn't everything. Follow your heart!

....and marry a doctor.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (09-12-2013), Marchy (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post

....and marry a doctor.
Fuck that, you wanna be in student loan debt forever? Marry a petroleum engineer.

OP, I think you did the right thing. And you'll probably be happier, and thus healthier, for doing it.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Opposed (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
Fuck that, you wanna be in student loan debt forever? Marry a petroleum engineer.
Yeah I heard petroleum might be used in some things. And stuff.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post

....and marry a doctor.
LOL, I did
The Following User Says Thank You to Opposed For This Useful Post:
P@ul (09-14-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
the initial pay cut is just a starting point - it should only go up from there. you're not going to remain at that same rate forever. if you love what you do and are good at it, and make the company money, i'm sure that you'll get rewarded for it in due time and be back up to the pay level you were.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote