follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #29
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
There used to be two different types of ceramic coat. one was hydroscopic and the other hydrophobic. People did not understand the reason for hydroscopic and it stopped being sold. Water would spread-out and run off. People were used to having the water bead up like on waxes and did not understand the advantages of sheeting and running off.

I was skeptical of the advantage of a very hard coat, but believed my son who likes show cars. Spent the big bucks and had it done to my new diesel dodge. I thought it was nice but nothing speicel until I was driving through Chicago when an idiot thought he could pass using the merge lane on the left. He had to stop quickly as the lane ended. He brushed my left back fender with his light blue BMW. I saw it happen but did not stop as he made a dive to the right and got the heck out of there. When I got home I had blue paint on the fender. Not pleased I got some cleaner to see what I could to make it less noticeable. It all came off!!! My shine was still there!!! The only thing left to show damage was the plastic fender flair had some paint removed. Black plastic so hard to see, I now believe. I hope his car was a mess, as I had quite a bit of blue paint on mine.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:09 PM   #30
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,124 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
I used the meguiars ultimate ceramic quick wax and it doesn't shed off at all when I drive. The water beads don't even seem to dry off, as I said they'll just bead, then collect dirt and then turn into water spots whilst the water is still beaded above it. So I typically will have to dry the car off then buff it out which is annoying to do every day it rains
There isn't much you can do about water spots unfortunately other than to dry the car when it rains.
I like to use air before touching it, any dirt/dust on the surface will end up turning your rag into sandpaper.
I'm a bit over the top OCD though so whatever works.

I've been satisfied with optimum hyper-seal even prior to using it with Optimum gloss coat. Given gloss coat is a pretty basic coating and is a SIC/Sio2 hybrid, hyper-seal has kept the hydrophobics in peak condition.

Photo is about 40 minutes apart, before and after a drive to the shops and back.
Attached Images

RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #31
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
There isn't much you can do about water spots unfortunately other than to dry the car when it rains.
I like to use air before touching it, any dirt/dust on the surface will end up turning your rag into sandpaper.
I'm a bit over the top OCD though so whatever works.

I've been satisfied with optimum hyper-seal even prior to using it with Optimum gloss coat. Given gloss coat is a pretty basic coating and is a SIC/Sio2 hybrid, hyper-seal has kept the hydrophobics in peak condition.

Photo is about 40 minutes apart, before and after a drive to the shops and back.
Yea that does look good, mine only looks that clean without any drying if it's parked in the garage, as soon as it goes into the light- water spots -_-.

Not that it's a massive deal since they're pretty easy to remove, I just only have 1 drying towel so feels like I'm putting it in the wash and leaving it to dry constantly. Also just hurts me a little bit also being OCD like you when I have the paint looking amazing and feeling really glossy after an ultimate detail spray wipe down just for it to be washed off before I even got to enjoy a drive
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote