follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #71
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Series yes, time attack no, that's what qualifying is for I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think this example a "tuner" has 20k in and not done yet. For a shop or business to blow that I get. For your private racer, that's insane. These guys for example are just building out a car to see how far they can take it maybe to win or place at one competition, it's advertising for them.

Different strokes, not saying you are wrong BTW.

My point was if you asked one of the track guys to spend 50k for a track car, I dont think you would see, many of them saying they would spend 25k on an FR-S and then dump another 25k on it just to run weekend HPDE and time attacks.

Guess we will. I would put $25k in an FR-S EASILY. Those guys on here with the GReddy/TRA Kyoto widebody kit have over $20k into their car, if they started to track/drift their car, they would easily break your stereotype as well. I break your stereotype, hence why I disagree...

I think you seriously underestimate the dedication to Time Attack there is and what it takes to compete at the top levels (not even talking Unlimited class).
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #72
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
Guess we will. I would put $25k in an FR-S EASILY. Those guys on here with the GReddy/TRA Kyoto widebody kit have over $20k into their car, if they started to track/drift their car, they would easily break your stereotype as well. I break your stereotype, hence why I disagree...

I think you seriously underestimate the dedication to Time Attack there is and what it takes to compete at the top levels (not even talking Unlimited class).

I think we just have two different mindsets.
For me it's modify less and make it more about the driver and competition.

It seems like for a lot of tuners, it's take a cheap car and modify it into oblivion and see what happens.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #73
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I think we just have two different mindsets.
For me it's modify less and make it more about the driver and competition.

It seems like for a lot of tuners, it's take a cheap car and modify it into oblivion and see what happens.

Not my mindset at all. Sorry, you idea of a Time Attack, AutoX..etc (anything that's not in your wheel-to-wheel idea) is off.

Every good track person knows that skill takes precedence over car modification. A street racer is one who takes a cheap car and modifies into oblivion and see what happens.

He's no shop, he is a pharmacist in a Silvia/240sx, just set the Track record for Tsukuba with 52sec lap time --->
The Following User Says Thank You to SnapOv3st3r For This Useful Post:
Pete (01-09-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #74
xbladex0

Drives: no cars :(
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
What would you be looking for specifically in a 'street version'?

If a car can hold up to track conditions (which the car in this video can't), it can hold up to any conditions on the street. Heat is the #1 enemy of any car at the track. It's a particular problem with turbocharged cars since they generate much more heat. The reason I sold my Evo was that I could not keep temperatures under control at the track, no matter what kind of cooling I threw at it. It's no fun when you can only do a few laps before a car overheats. That's when I learned that stock power, lightweight, and normally aspirated is the way to go if you're going to have a reliable track car. It looks like that turbo kit would be fine for the street, but not on the track...
I agree that it'll be fine in the streets, and also with the fact turbos do generate a lot more heat in the engine. What is meant for "street use", was to refer if it's street legal, and what it would be like if the interior was still in there like a daily driver, but with those upgrades and the turbo, in there packing out 350HP. but i'd add a cold air intake cause i know someone who has a INJEN CAI in their nissan juke and it sounds pretty neat
xbladex0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #75
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Gordon Ramsay Version of Modifying

Remove Weight
Add Turbo Kit
Add Cooling
Add Suspension
Add Brakes
Add Tires and wheels

Done
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #76
legin_k

Drives: 2002 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The car is being built for the Canadian Scion Tuner Challenge. 11 challenges in 18 months, hence the evolving build and non-conformance to existing race series rules. The STC rules are fairly open, except for 140+ tw tires etc., but there's no wheel to wheel racing.

http://www.tunerchallenge.ca/en/webisodes
https://www.facebook.com/TeamVCMC
legin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #77
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladex0 View Post
I agree that it'll be fine in the streets, and also with the fact turbos do generate a lot more heat in the engine. What is meant for "street use", was to refer if it's street legal, and what it would be like if the interior was still in there like a daily driver, but with those upgrades and the turbo, in there packing out 350HP. but i'd add a cold air intake cause i know someone who has a INJEN CAI in their nissan juke and it sounds pretty neat

Were you being sarcastic?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #78
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
Were you being sarcastic?
Unfortunately, I don't think he was. Probably the same guy that posted in another thread that ohlins suck....
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #79
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think he was. Probably the same guy that posted in another thread that ohlins suck....

Injen intake on a turbo car....now THAT I would like to see and actually laugh at. Where do you put the charge pipe if the intake is there?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #80
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
noobs..
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmookher For This Useful Post:
naikaidriver (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #81
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for all the informative replies - so I wasn't that far off then.

I understand that my experience in rally driving is different since gravel and dirt is waaaay different than tarmac (heck your suspension setups are almost night and day) but that's the only racing experience I have to relate to Matt Farah's comment about throttle being on and off. I've just personally never seen or heard of one. When the local CRC runs their tarmac stuff, even then, it's not set up for pure 100% on/ 0% off. I was just confused by Matt's comments.

Thanks again guys.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #82
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
noobs..

I spend a lot of time in the Atlanta / Birmingham area with the racing community and $20k invested in the setup and testing of a track car is noob-change.

These guys are working on a car to see if it will be able to go toe-to-toe with the guys running track-prepped GT3s, 370z's, Camaros, Mustangs, RX8s, Speed 3s, and a myriad of other cars that have already had years to prove their capabilities on the track in various classes. What kind of money do you think those teams dumped in their cars?

Look, I'll concede that your "average" weekend HPDE, Solo or Track Day warrior will not be likely to spend that kind of money but the same could be said for "average" competitors in Car Audio, Fabrication, and even Car Shows. Most never compete or invest in that level but that's not the point of this challenge.

You're all welcome to your opinions (because that is exactly what they are) but don't throw around words like "nobody", "everyone", "never" and other similar absolutes when you not only do not speak for everyone but its unlikely you even speak from experience.

Scott
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to naikaidriver For This Useful Post:
SnapOv3st3r (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #83
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
350hp eh? We should race.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #84
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
350hp eh? We should race.
if that is at the wheel you win
if thats crank, sure we need to go hit up a track !
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote