follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2022, 01:13 PM   #1
Wingnutt

Drives: Pearl White 2014
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Impossible to get a smooth start.

I've been driving MT vehicles since I was 16 (I'm 41)

I've had my FRS for just about a year now and I still cannot get a smooth start from a stop in first gear.

If I try to slowly let out the clutch and apply throttle the car shudders horribly during engagement..

This is my 3rd clutch, PP, FW, TOB, no change.

The other option is to literally slip the clutch until your can smell it. There is no middle ground.

Normal stop and go slow speed driving is absolutely miserable and it's making me really hate the car.

Oh and apparently because I installed a lighter flywheel than stock I get a horrendous rattling and shaking from 1800-3000 rpm so in normal driving the car drives and sounds like garbage..

I was so convinced that there is something wrong with the car I've dumped about 3k into parts and shop fees swapping clutches, fluiddympr etc etc and it has accomplished absolutely nothing.

Is the car really just.... Like this?
Wingnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I have never ever ever had an issue with starting out in either of my cars. Even when my TOB was going bad the car started out as smooth as can be.

Ditch all the "upgraded" crap and go back to stock.
pope (01-11-2022), soundman98 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 01:46 PM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
If you have aftermarket clutch parts on the car it would be nice to know which ones. Shuddering can be caused by a hot spoted flywheel or one that is not sufficiently flat, pressure plate not installed correctly, ect.

Please don't say ACT
soundman98 (01-11-2022), Tcoat (01-11-2022), Ultramaroon (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I feel like an earlier search on the forums could've save you thousands of dollars on unnecessary parts to deal with a innate design flaw. But we are already beyond that. These cars are indeed, just like that. It can be mitigated by either replacing the bushings on the transmission and shifter, with also replacing the transmission fluid.

Unless the last owner, if you bought it used, completely used and abused the transmission, the roughness of 1st and 2nd gear are completely normal.
Another thing worth mentioning is that it is also more noticeable when the car is cold, so a good idea is to let it run for a bit before going on a drive, the colder it is the worse it gets.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I feel like an earlier search on the forums could've save you thousands of dollars on unnecessary parts to deal with a innate design flaw. But we are already beyond that. These cars are indeed, just like that. It can be mitigated by either replacing the bushings on the transmission and shifter, with also replacing the transmission fluid.

Unless the last owner, if you bought it used, completely used and abused the transmission, the roughness of 1st and 2nd gear are completely normal.
Another thing worth mentioning is that it is also more noticeable when the car is cold, so a good idea is to let it run for a bit before going on a drive, the colder it is the worse it gets.
Your really "shudders horribly during engagement"? I have had two, driven several and rode in many and not one of them shuddered horribly.
Ya they can be a bit notchy to get into second when cold but no noticeable difference when letting the clutch out to start moving.
soundman98 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #6
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Your really "shudders horribly during engagement"? I have had two, driven several and rode in many and not one of them shuddered horribly.
Ya they can be a bit notchy to get into second when cold but no noticeable difference when letting the clutch out to start moving.

It would shudder the first weeks of ownership for me because I wasn't used to such a distinct clutch and short shifter, I wouldn't say horribly, maybe its an exaggerated expression to reflect OPs frustration with this vehicle platform. I came from using a Mazda 3 2013 so the transmissions where night and day.

I has also happened to anyone that I've given the keys to, all reported the same, 1st gear is a little tricky to engage in the cold or from a stop.

Doesn't happen to me anymore because I'm so used to it. In OPs case, he did mention replacing flywheels which could've just made things feel worse. Maybe a faulty installation could've caused it.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
It would shudder the first weeks of ownership for me because I wasn't used to such a distinct clutch and short shifter, I wouldn't say horribly, maybe its an exaggerated expression to reflect OPs frustration with this vehicle platform. I came from using a Mazda 3 2013 so the transmissions where night and day.

I has also happened to anyone that I've given the keys to, all reported the same, 1st gear is a little tricky to engage in the cold or from a stop.

Doesn't happen to me anymore because I'm so used to it. In OPs case, he did mention replacing flywheels which could've just made things feel worse. Maybe a faulty installation could've caused it.
His problem does not appear to be putting it in gear but more when he starts out. Sure it can happen to somebody that doesn't know the clutch well but should not last more than a couple of starts.
Ya throwing parts at it isn't a fix but need to clarify it isn't a "this is normal for these cars" either.
Light weight flywheels totally suck balls in low displacement street cars!
soundman98 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #8
spcmafia

Quote:
His problem does not appear to be putting it in gear but more when he starts out. Sure it can happen to somebody that doesn't know the clutch well but should not last more than a couple of starts.
Ya throwing parts at it isn't a fix but need to clarify it isn't a "this is normal for these cars" either.
Light weight flywheels totally suck balls in low displacement street cars!

You're right, it isn't normal for the cars to be a bit rough when taking off from 1st gear, though it is a bit normal for 1st and 2nd to feel a bit notchy. It gets easier and better, if any, the more time you spend on the vehicle. Maybe OP had a rough few interactions and decided to start replacing parts when all he needed was extra time. Seat placement does help, I have found the less extended my arm is to the shifter and my feet to the clutch the better it is. But that is just me.

Hey now, flywheels are nice and shiny! I love shiny stuff! Plus the red FW does match beautifully with the red intake and manifold .
Old 01-11-2022, 02:21 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You're right, it isn't normal for the cars to be a bit rough when taking off from 1st gear, though it is a bit normal for 1st and 2nd to feel a bit notchy. It gets easier and better, if any, the more time you spend on the vehicle.
Are you talking rough as in shifter going into gear, or rough as in clutch engagement ?

My car has always been pretty smooth feeling. Even with the stock clutch master cylinder.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #10
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Are you talking rough as in shifter going into gear, or rough as in clutch engagement ?

My car has always been pretty smooth feeling. Even with the stock clutch master cylinder.

I would say notchy, rough engaging to 1st gear. Taking off can feel tricky at first, but then its smooth overtime. Mostly for first few days of ownership and then maybe the occasional very cold mornings.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:28 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
You're right, it isn't normal for the cars to be a bit rough when taking off from 1st gear, though it is a bit normal for 1st and 2nd to feel a bit notchy. It gets easier and better, if any, the more time you spend on the vehicle. Maybe OP had a rough few interactions and decided to start replacing parts when all he needed was extra time. Seat placement does help, I have found the less extended my arm is to the shifter and my feet to the clutch the better it is. But that is just me.

Hey now, flywheels are nice and shiny! I love shiny stuff! Plus the red FW does match beautifully with the red intake and manifold .
His complaint was not about getting into gear though.

If people can see your flywheel then rough starts are the least of your worries!
Old 01-11-2022, 02:36 PM   #12
spcmafia

Quote:

If people can see your flywheel then rough starts are the least of your worries!
We're talking about crank flywheels right.........

Well, this is awkward. I totally missed that his problem is taking off and not so much engaging, which is one of the most common complaints. .

I mean I can see how taking off might feel rough because it has happened to me when I first got the vehicle due to the same, not being used to different clutch, and gears. But nothing as described by OP.
Ultramaroon (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 02:37 PM   #13
spcmafia

Quote:

Forgive me, master.
soundman98 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
Forgive me, master.
soundman98 (01-11-2022), spcmafia (01-12-2022), Turdinator (01-11-2022)