follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2018, 02:01 AM   #15
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey guys! i made a small board to try to fit under the blank button on the Traction control button area.
Im thinking probably drilling two small holes to accommodate to the Joystick shaft and the back button shaft to be able to stick out and probably add some decals arrows to make it as OEM looking as possible.

DustinS (09-06-2018), Sportsguy83 (10-17-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 02:12 AM   #16
geraldjust

Sorry wanted to include a upclose pcb pic of how small it looks.

DustinS (09-06-2018), shaynek (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #17
T0rt0r0

Drives: European gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice idea !

Appart from the price I'd love to have the new cluster installed !
T0rt0r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #18
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0rt0r0 View Post
Nice idea !

Appart from the price I'd love to have the new cluster installed !
well if i make this kit not sure what i would price it at. Its a very niche market for these things. But like myself im sure there are some people who might be interested in it. But the prices of used cluster could vary and new ones are a bit expensive.

If anyone has a BRZ 2017 lcd clsuter and wants to switch to a gt86 lcd let me know! il even program the mileage to correct it for you lol.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #19
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Is the mileage on the 2017 cluster stored in the flash chip or a separate eeprom like the 93c66 on the older clusters? Care to share what programmer you used to read and write to the flash chip? I'm interested in a kit if you decide to make one but the price of a new cluster is prohibitive. I'd use a used cluster but only if I can correct the mileage.
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #20
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
Is the mileage on the 2017 cluster stored in the flash chip or a separate eeprom like the 93c66 on the older clusters? Care to share what programmer you used to read and write to the flash chip? I'm interested in a kit if you decide to make one but the price of a new cluster is prohibitive. I'd use a used cluster but only if I can correct the mileage.
Yea its stored as a EEPROM. its a 93c86 i believe. But the format compared to the older clusters is not the same. its using a different storing system. Similar but not exactly the same. im using a tl866cs programmer. But almost any EEPROM reader/writer could work. Make sure you have the right data though. So double read and then write back the same data to see if it stuck. I first ran into a problem of accidently using a 8bit format rather then a 16 bit format.

IF your interested i might offer a mileage correction service if anything.

Oh again this will work plug in play with push start cars! if you got key car you will have to go to a dealer to get it programmed anyways.
HRTROB (09-07-2018), RedReplicant (07-05-2023)
Old 09-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #21
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
Yea its stored as a EEPROM. its a 93c86 i believe. But the format compared to the older clusters is not the same. its using a different storing system. Similar but not exactly the same. im using a tl866cs programmer. But almost any EEPROM reader/writer could work. Make sure you have the right data though. So double read and then write back the same data to see if it stuck. I first ran into a problem of accidently using a 8bit format rather then a 16 bit format.

IF your interested i might offer a mileage correction service if anything.

Oh again this will work plug in play with push start cars! if you got key car you will have to go to a dealer to get it programmed anyways.
Thank you very much for the info! I have a push button start car so the immobilizer won't be a problem. I'd like to have it display the correct mileage though. I only have an R270 programmer and I'm not sure if it can read/write to a 93c66 or c86. Unfortunately mileage correction service won't work for me since I am halfway across the globe.
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
Thank you very much for the info! I have a push button start car so the immobilizer won't be a problem. I'd like to have it display the correct mileage though. I only have an R270 programmer and I'm not sure if it can read/write to a 93c66 or c86. Unfortunately mileage correction service won't work for me since I am halfway across the globe.
you could always try to get yourself a 93c66 chip and see if you can read or write to it. im sure they could be bought cheaply from were you are. If you want and get your cluster, read and send me the bin file for the eeprom. And il send you the corrected file to burn back to the cluster.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #23
geraldjust

SO! update guys!

The rest of the components are here and i was able to put some together. But i ran into a issue that i did not anticipate.

So the blank button clips on onto the rest of the bracket with two side pivot points. So if i make a kit. would you guys be comfortable braking off those two tabs to make the pcb fit inside the plastic then glue it down with epoxy? that way would be the most solid feeling switch. OR, i could try to 3d print a button that would somehow fit in and screw on though the bottom. But i mostly have just white and black filament.

And in order to get the three wires out of the box. you will need to drill a hole thought the front or back of the side of the holder. Any thoughs guys?
HRTROB (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #24
geraldjust

Hey guys! so another update after a day of tinkering with my 3d printer i managed to get a button with the same curve on top and bottom. But i havent been able to get a goood looking finish on it. So with a couple of minutes of sandpaper it gives a good matt finish. il probably paint it later on. I haven't received the low profile tach button for the back so i'm just waiting on that to complete the installation. There will be another side to the 3 pin cables were it will have the extra pins to attach to the connector in the cluster.

HRTROB (09-12-2018), MJones_RB (03-26-2019)
Old 09-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #25
Allen Poe
AT Pleb

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram (Firestorm Red)
any alternative for us AT plebs who already have buttons where you intend to put the controller?
Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 AM   #26
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Poe View Post
any alternative for us AT plebs who already have buttons where you intend to put the controller?
Well i guess the Conversion from AT to MT would be to hard hu. lol kidding. I can perhaps print out a small bracket to to go under the board and you can screw it down onto the plate were the seat warmers go. If you dont have heated seats lol. And i can add a template were to drill the holes. and prob add M3 hex nuts and bolts.

Could that work?
Old 09-14-2018, 02:32 AM   #27
Allen Poe
AT Pleb

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram (Firestorm Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
Well i guess the Conversion from AT to MT would be to hard hu. lol kidding. I can perhaps print out a small bracket to to go under the board and you can screw it down onto the plate were the seat warmers go. If you dont have heated seats lol. And i can add a template were to drill the holes. and prob add M3 hex nuts and bolts.

Could that work?
LOL I have heated seats too. only thing I could think of would be some kind of switch in the empty space where the headlight controls and trunk release go, but even then, once I install my fog lights even that space will be taken up.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:00 AM   #28
geraldjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Poe View Post
LOL I have heated seats too. only thing I could think of would be some kind of switch in the empty space where the headlight controls and trunk release go, but even then, once I install my fog lights even that space will be taken up.
HAHA your right .. hm.. I have a idea! how about on the left side of the radio trim. right behind the wiper stock. its a very common plastic trim plastic. If people mess it up, it would not be too complicated to replace that trim plastic.