follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2021, 07:10 PM   #15
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've owned the car for 3 weeks and having completed 1100 kms here are some further thoughts.

But first an analogy.
When I'm drinking inexpensive wine I am not very critical. The rating is either enjoyable (cheap and cheerful), drinkable or it's getting poured down the sink. If I am drinking more expensive wine I become much more judgemental, I critique the wine with greater scrutiny. This same attitude extends to this car; it is not a premium car and I wasn't expecting miracles.
More importantly, I haven't test driven other cars so I don't have to trouble myself with "but it's not as good compared to...".

There will some comparisons with mum's former Yaris and the Peugeot 206gti I used to own. The BRZ might get a mention too.

Around corners the car is more fun than the Yaris but not as much fun as the Pug though it is faster than both. The Yaris exhibited no sign of playfulness, just eventual understeer (which is not surprising) and the Pug had awesome, beautiful lift-off oversteer. (In the wet the Pug was driven with caution for fear of spin. It happened a couple of times and I didn't want to repeat the experience.) I've not been trying very hard to get the Suzuki to oversteer given its cornering speed so at this point in time I'm saying it is closer in cornering style to the Yaris than the Pug. At medium speed the front points really well and understeer isn't an issue until unwise speeds. For a street car its cornering ability is more than enough. Before getting the car I was thinking that inside wheel spin was going to be an issue and while it occasionally makes itself known it hasn't been the problem I thought it was going to be. It's just as well as there is no LSD available.
The fitment of the KWs has been postponed until January.

I've mentioned this elsewhere but this car is the first auto I've owned. Surprisingly, I don't miss a manual box. I think it a little weird that I don't miss it but *shrug*

Tyres sometimes scrabble for traction from a standstill in the dry. There is quite a mid-range surge (relatively speaking) between 2k and 4k but power tapers off significantly after 5k rpm with a 6.2k redline. I like there are no pops and farts from the exhaust on gear change. I think that effect contrived and would become annoying quite quickly.
Fitting a silicone intake tube has made the engine noise almost non-existent. It is now incredibly quiet. I've had a quote for a single exit exhaust with a custom titanium muffler. This is slated for February if all goings according to plan.

A space saver spare is on the shopping list; I do not have high confidence in a bottle of sealant.

I think the car's biggest fault and it's not very major, more of a lance corporal, is the size of the petrol tank. It's only 37 liters. On an constant throttle the range is pretty good but I don't drive on a constant throttle around town. My current average fuel consumption is 8.9 liters/100kms, 31.7 Imperial mpg, 26.4 US mpg which is pretty ordinary.

The seat fits me well and is very supportive. I have seen some reviews where the seat is too narrow for the driver but I like the grippy feeling. Something I really, really like about the interior is the infotainment screen isn't stuck on top of the dash, it doesn't interfere with my line of sight. The steering wheel is cluttered with controls and while it makes ergonomic sense I prefer a steering wheel just for steering. More importantly the air con has analog controls.
Something that irks me (when I think of it) is the seat isn't perfectly set behind the steering wheel. I'm guessing the steering wheel is 10mm offset to the left of the centerline of the seat. I know this is not uncommon. It makes no difference to driving, it's the thought of it that bugs me.

The car is loaded with electronic safety features. Lane Departure Warning (permanently switched off), Autonomous Emergency Braking (switched off after every start), Pedestrian Detection (I haven't tested this) plus others. What gets me is the Owner's Manual gives a list for every safety feature for when it may not work as intended. There are 21!! reasons listed why the Blind Spot Monitor might not work.
Risk compensation at its best.

I was expecting a faster (non GR) Yaris but I wasn't expecting it to be this much fun.
Win!

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
bcj (12-08-2021), Kaotic Lazagna (12-08-2021), NoHaveMSG (12-07-2021), Racecomp Engineering (03-22-2022), Stonehorsw (12-08-2021), Tcoat (12-07-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #16
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

A few days ago I received a text message from the dealership welcoming me to the dealership family. I did not reply but can I expect an invitation to their Christmas party?
Today I received a letter from Suzuki Australia welcoming me "to the Suzuki Way of Life". Huh? Wtf is the Suzuki way of life?
Are these messages supposed to endear me to a product? Strangely enough I did not hear back from Suzuki Australia after I completed my mostly negative reply to their survey.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #17
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have you checked out the rent4ring swifts in Germany? They do alot of fun stuff with them, the new gen aswell. Ive rented the previous gen swift sport for a weekend on the ring and it was bloody brilliant!
Old 12-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #18
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedN View Post
Have you checked out the rent4ring swifts in Germany? They do alot of fun stuff with them, the new gen aswell. Ive rented the previous gen swift sport for a weekend on the ring and it was bloody brilliant!
Yeah, I've contacted them for information. They were quite helpful. I've watched some videos of their cars getting thrashed mercilessly around the 'ring.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:34 PM   #19
80beh

Drives: ZC33s
Came across this post, another worthy mod if driving hard is your thing is upgrading/replacing the Lower Engine Mount. Hardrace is supposedly the street friendliest option. It completely transform the car, the softness of the suspension is no longer an issue, it was the engine movement that unsettled the car all this time. Naturally, NVH has increased which is not a bad thing, provides a more visceral driving experience.

I also have CTC intake kit and RaceChip installed, top end is very good now.

What brand of intercooler do you have?
80beh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 80beh For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:13 PM   #20
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80beh View Post
Came across this post, another worthy mod if driving hard is your thing is upgrading/replacing the Lower Engine Mount. Hardrace is supposedly the street friendliest option. It completely transform the car, the softness of the suspension is no longer an issue, it was the engine movement that unsettled the car all this time. Naturally, NVH has increased which is not a bad thing, provides a more visceral driving experience.

I also have CTC intake kit and RaceChip installed, top end is very good now.

What brand of intercooler do you have?

I'll put the engine mount on the shopping list.
I have the CTC intercooler although it is still sitting in the garage. I'm not sure if/when I'll install it.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:52 PM   #21
Greenbottle

Drives: 2015 Hyperblue BRZ
I've just gone the opposite way. Had a 2018 Swift Sport manual and traded it on a slightly older BRZ. The Swift was easy to drive with plenty of go, being lightweight, but as you noted, no forums, no decent range of accessories, no sparewheel - the space saver Suzuki offered me didn't fit over the front brake caliper.

Only issue with the Swift was the brakes were very grabby when cold or low speed.

Averaged 6.2L/100km around town but it was a bit of a boring shopping trolley.

Now the BRZ . . . . . .
Greenbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:49 AM   #22
Ash_89

Drives: Mazda 2 (1.3L)
There is a forum here: https://www.sssoc.co.uk/forum/
Ash_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:19 AM   #23
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_89 View Post
There is a forum here: https://www.sssoc.co.uk/forum/

That forum is deader than the zombies in Dying Light.

Old 03-04-2022, 03:52 AM   #24
Ash_89

Drives: Mazda 2 (1.3L)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
That forum is deader than the zombies in Dying Light.
True, but you can get help from fellow owners if needed - albeit slower than over here.
Ash_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:23 PM   #25
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

I've just ordered 4 of these (not this size pictured). AUD$950 including freight to my door. They're coming from Taiwan so about 3 months away. One of their claims to fame is they need very little warm up. Given the wife is going to have a track day (whether she likes it or not) and the weight of the car I'm guessing getting heat into the rear tyres might be a bit of challenge. I have no idea how they managed to get rated street legal.
I reckon the looks alone will add 5KW.

Name:  .jpg
Views: 449
Size:  38.2 KB

Old 03-20-2022, 06:52 PM   #26
80beh

Have you managed to fit the CTC intercooler?
Old 03-20-2022, 08:53 PM   #27
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80beh View Post
Have you managed to fit the CTC intercooler?
Nope, it still sitting in the shed. It is not a job I want to do in our carport and the guy whose workshop I use has moved away and only visits every now and then. Having said that, given the car's use I don't feel the mad need to have it installed. There maybe a tinge of buyer's remorse but only a tinge.
There have been quite a few items removed from the aftermarket parts list.

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-21-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 07:42 PM   #28
80beh

Have you done any exhaust work to the car? I'm looking at removing the OEM centre pipe, replacing it with straight pipe or small resonator, seems like a cheap way of liberating some decent noise, some videos I found in you tube

https://youtube.com/shorts/XNG_Qn9qaVI?feature=share