follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 10-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #1
Nigori

Drives: 2020 Hakone 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lucas Octane Booster

I’m currently running an OFT Stage 2+ tune with Tomei EL headers and a muffler delete. I want to try the Lucas Octane Booster but heard you need a tune for the ECU to be able to sense the octane level. Is this true or can I just add the octane booster?
Nigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #2
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Neither the car's ECU, nor OFT sense octane. They just adjust timing if the engine starts knocking because of low octane.

However, if you're running the tune for the octane gas you've got in it already, you won't see a difference. I could see this being useful when using a 93 tune, when you only have 91 available.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #3
Nigori

Drives: 2020 Hakone 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Neither the car's ECU, nor OFT sense octane. They just adjust timing if the engine starts knocking because of low octane.

However, if you're running the tune for the octane gas you've got in it already, you won't see a difference. I could see this being useful when using a 93 tune, when you only have 91 available.
The gas I put in are 92s and the reason I want to try octane boosters is to improve my mpg. So from my understanding I can directly add the octane booster and it’ll adjust?
Nigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
if the engine has any timing retard due to knock, additional octane numbers will net you hp and torque.

And for previous turbo cars I've owned and tuned on the Lucas stuff works very well
Gruppe-S UEL header/overpipe
Wayne Rom Stg 2 tune
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigori View Post
I’m currently running an OFT Stage 2+ tune with Tomei EL headers and a muffler delete. I want to try the Lucas Octane Booster but heard you need a tune for the ECU to be able to sense the octane level. Is this true or can I just add the octane booster?
I moved from the United States to Spain, where gas turned out to have a tiny bit less octane rating. I tried all kinds of octane booster and none of them worked AT ALL. I also tried blending 10% ethanol into the mix and that worked some (still not great... but better than the octane boosters which did absolutely nothing).

So, in short, I'd advice you to not waste your money
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tato.valverde View Post
I moved from the United States to Spain, where gas turned out to have a tiny bit less octane rating. I tried all kinds of octane booster and none of them worked AT ALL. I also tried blending 10% ethanol into the mix and that worked some (still not great... but better than the octane boosters which did absolutely nothing).

So, in short, I'd advice you to not waste your money
That just means your tune doesn't have the timing to take advantage of more octane. More octane on it's own does pretty much nothing.

FYI to all, most octane boosters are hard on catalytic converters.
villainous_frx (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #7
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I always wondered if it's a good idea to use octane booster for a track session? Even if the car has a good conservative road race tune on pump gas, just to have an extra safety margin?
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
I always wondered if it's a good idea to use octane booster for a track session? Even if the car has a good conservative road race tune on pump gas, just to have an extra safety margin?
if the track has 100 just put a few gallons in with your 91.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
Arthur-A (11-10-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 09:33 PM   #9
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Boostane is the best octane booster on the market.
When I was NA getting custom tuned and dialing in the timing, the final map 7 i got had consistent but minor IAM drop consistently in the .8-.9s so tuner said to use less aggressive map 6 or use octane booster. Used boostane and IAM was rock solid at 1 never dropping. Used only 1oz per 2gallons too. Didn’t take much.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 03:14 AM   #10
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That just means your tune doesn't have the timing to take advantage of more octane. More octane on it's own does pretty much nothing.

FYI to all, most octane boosters are hard on catalytic converters.
I dont think you understood... My ECU mapping was optimized for the higher octane us gas, so when I moved to Spain I was getting lower octane gas and thus my IAM was dropping as low as 0.5 on hot track days. I tried octane boosters and they did nothing. Ethanol helped a bit.

Newer higher octane gas from Repsol available at just 3 gas stations in Spain allowed me to run the ECU map from the states.

So yeah, in short, octane boosters did absolutely nothing for me, with data proof
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #11
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tato.valverde View Post
I dont think you understood... My ECU mapping was optimized for the higher octane us gas, so when I moved to Spain I was getting lower octane gas and thus my IAM was dropping as low as 0.5 on hot track days. I tried octane boosters and they did nothing. Ethanol helped a bit.

Newer higher octane gas from Repsol available at just 3 gas stations in Spain allowed me to run the ECU map from the states.

So yeah, in short, octane boosters did absolutely nothing for me, with data proof

There is evidence to the contrary of what you say as well. Sounds like the fuel you were using wasn’t what it was rated, and I personally wouldn’t trust an oil/fuel product with the “lucas” name.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #12
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,130 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I understand that most off the shelf octane boosters are junk.
VP racing octanium works pretty well from little research I've done. I've heard redline octane booster works decently as well.

OP the only reason I would run a octane booster in your situation is if your IAM cannot reach 1 due to poor fuel quality.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 11:26 AM   #13
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
octane boosters that work exists but they are expensive and need to be diluted like 1-3‰ in the tank... think of Bardhal BSF
It must contain MMT and possibly Toluene as well, and you need to increase timing and maybe also lean it a bit to take advance of it
Can also be used in small amount for your purpouse if you get shitty tank fuel, it will keep your AM at 1
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (11-15-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 06:11 PM   #14
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigori View Post
Most of the Octane boosters are specious at best: "Raise octane 10 points!" That's converting 91 octane into 92... big whoop.

VP Octanium or Boostane are the droids you're looking for.

MMT is really effective at increasing octane but is not copacetic with emissions equipment over the long term if you have to use a lot. Example of effectiveness of MMT: 6.4oz of Boostane Premium will convert 5 gallons of 92 pump gas into 100 Octane.

I have dyno'd with boostane treated fuel (92 converted to 100) out of curiosity against straight 100 oct Race Fuel and we were able to advance the timing the same for each without detonation and made the same WHP (within 1/2 hp). The claims are real. Compared to regular 92 pump gas, 100 octane (either race gas or treated with boostane) was worth 12whp by being able to advance the timing on a naturally aspirated engine.

I have no catalytic converters because it's a race car. I do not advocate removing emissions equipment on street cars.

What you CAN do is map switching. You could treat your fuel and then create a map for that treated fuel. Then you drive around on normal pump gas but then when you do a track day, you can run treated fuel and switch maps for the extra power. That shouldn't damage your emission systems since it's only occasional use. They also have a lower concentration they claim is safe for emission equipment but that's up to you decide if those claims are true. I also think VP uses a formula with a lower concentration of mmt vs Boostane but I don't have confirmation of that.

MMT burns orange - so you exhaust tips and spark plugs will turn orange but it's not really hurting the plugs.
Arthur-A (01-16-2022), bcj (11-29-2021)