follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 06-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #4117
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What type of peak performance number are achievable running this system with forged internals on 93 octane?

Is there anyone using this kit primarily running on pump gas that also has a secondary map for e85 that they run for track or other occasions? I would imagine this would be no different than a fail safe map and perhaps swapping a pulley.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #4118
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post
What type of peak performance number are achievable running this system with forged internals on 93 octane?

Is there anyone using this kit primarily running on pump gas that also has a secondary map for e85 that they run for track or other occasions? I would imagine this would be no different than a fail safe map and perhaps swapping a pulley.
Too many variables to even guess.

Flex fuel would do everything you want with one map. Mix and match e85 and gasoline, and the flex fuel tune adjusts on the fly.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #4119
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Nate View Post
Is there a belt that anyone recommends? Thinking about just getting the Continental one since it’s available at the local Autozone
I had that occur one time. Change the tensioner. After I did that it never happened again.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #4120
Swolzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Too many variables to even guess.

Flex fuel would do everything you want with one map. Mix and match e85 and gasoline, and the flex fuel tune adjusts on the fly.
My goal ultimately would be to make 400-450whp at a minimum on e85 but if achievable on pump gas would be even better clearly. But high 300s on pump gas with the upward mobility of 400-450 on e85 would be a requirement for me to go ahead with forging internals and sticking with the FA20 instead of going LS3.

I'm just doing a bit of forward thinking. I plan on moving forward with the eforce on the stock block but with a plan in mind of putting together the next step of either a built block or a LS3.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #4121
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
My goal ultimately would be to make 400-450whp at a minimum on e85 but if achievable on pump gas would be even better clearly. But high 300s on pump gas with the upward mobility of 400-450 on e85 would be a requirement for me to go ahead with forging internals and sticking with the FA20 instead of going LS3.

I'm just doing a bit of forward thinking. I plan on moving forward with the eforce on the stock block but with a plan in mind of putting together the next step of either a built block or a LS3.
When are you installing the kit? I’m curious what your initial thoughts are.
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #4122
CSG Mike

Quote:

Possible with a built engine? Yes.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:21 PM   #4123
Swolzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
When are you installing the kit? I’m curious what your initial thoughts are.
I'm doing everything myself and I work about 70 plus hours a week so it's a little slow going right now but I currently have the kit ready to install as soon as I finish putting in a new clutch, water pump, and idler pulley.

Outside of the drive to pick up the vehicle from where I bought it I've put less than 10 miles on it before I had it on jack stands and the interior pulled out. I'm just doing most everything all at once.

Quote:
Possible with a built engine? Yes.
On 93oct?

What type of reliability would you say comes with that sort of output? Let's say you have good coolant/oil temps, good tune, on a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being completely stock reliability and 10 being reliability of a top fuel car.

Last edited by Swolzee; 06-09-2021 at 10:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swolzee For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 10:54 PM   #4124
CSG Mike

Quote:
I'm doing everything myself and I work about 70 plus hours a week so it's a little slow going right now but I currently have the kit ready to install as soon as I finish putting in a new clutch, water pump, and idler pulley.

Outside of the drive to pick up the vehicle from where I bought it I've put less than 10 miles on it before I had it on jack stands and the interior pulled out. I'm just doing most everything all at once.

On 93oct?

What type of reliability would you say comes with that sort of output? Let's say you have good coolant/oil temps, good tune, on a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being completely stock reliability and 10 being reliability of a top fuel car.
Depends entirely on the quality of your build, your maintenance and driving habits, as well as use case.

You're well beyond the hp/liter any auto maker in the world would ever put a warranty on. Even Koenigsegg money doesn't get you the hp/liter you're looking for.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Swolzee (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 01:23 AM   #4125
Swolzee

Quote:
Depends entirely on the quality of your build, your maintenance and driving habits, as well as use case.

You're well beyond the hp/liter any auto maker in the world would ever put a warranty on. Even Koenigsegg money doesn't get you the hp/liter you're looking for.
Well said. Leave it to a tuner to feed you spool full of reality.

Currently I'd be content with a reliable-ish 280whp to track over the summer. I guess for my goals it is fighting an up hill battle to do anything other than a swap if I want a higher degree of reliability.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:08 AM   #4126
CSG Mike

Quote:
Well said. Leave it to a tuner to feed you spool full of reality.

Currently I'd be content with a reliable-ish 280whp to track over the summer. I guess for my goals it is fighting an up hill battle to do anything other than a swap if I want a higher degree of reliability.
280whp is well into proven territory. 350whp is also considered reliable at this point, given proper supporting mods.

Yes, these numbers for track use, which typically requires much more than a "once in a while highway onramp" street car.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #4127
Swolzee

Quote:
280whp is well into proven territory. 350whp is also considered reliable at this point, given proper supporting mods.

Yes, these numbers for track use, which typically requires much more than a "once in a while highway onramp" street car.
This year will be my first time tracking a car non-drag and I'm sure I'll be hooked. So reliability to stay racing and less time replacing and repairing is a big focus especially considering my limited time away from work. Although, depending on how the car feels in this aspect I may be content for quite some time.

It just seems like the point of diminishing returns on the FA20 is right where I want the car to be at +400 and to even get there from where I'm at I estimate a built shorty, fuel supply, tune, to be an additional $4k.
Which at that point the initial SC build investment is only $4k away from a Sikky/GM Crate LS3 build. Hard to justify an unstable 400ish hp over spending $4k more on a rock solid 500ish hp.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:10 PM   #4128
Glitch

Drives: 2019 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
This year will be my first time tracking a car non-drag and I'm sure I'll be hooked. So reliability to stay racing and less time replacing and repairing is a big focus especially considering my limited time away from work. Although, depending on how the car feels in this aspect I may be content for quite some time.

It just seems like the point of diminishing returns on the FA20 is right where I want the car to be at +400 and to even get there from where I'm at I estimate a built shorty, fuel supply, tune, to be an additional $4k.
Which at that point the initial SC build investment is only $4k away from a Sikky/GM Crate LS3 build. Hard to justify an unstable 400ish hp over spending $4k more on a rock solid 500ish hp.
I would think the driving characteristics of the car would change a lot when swaping an LS3 in place of the FA20 regarding weight distribution and center of gravity. If just for drag I could see it, but for track I would be hesitant.
Glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #4129
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Highway Onramp Racer checking in
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-10-2021), Decep (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #4130
Swolzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would think the driving characteristics of the car would change a lot when swaping an LS3 in place of the FA20 regarding weight distribution and center of gravity. If just for drag I could see it, but for track I would be hesitant.
This was my original hesitation. Weight wise it's only a +20-lb difference. As distribution goes, with the Sikky kit It's almost exactly a 50/50 split with how far back the engine can be mounted.

Just based on sheer weight numbers distribution the e-force is actually adding more weight and with all that mass being top heavy and as far forward as possible with the addition of the cooler and all of its fluid this would seem to me to have a greater effect on that distribution than the LS3 *shrug*. If nothing else I would say it's similar.

Last edited by Swolzee; 06-10-2021 at 01:36 PM.