follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got my first ticket...

I've had my FR-S for a couple years now and just got my first traffic ticket in it today. I had a "violation of a traffic control device".
Ran a stop sign.

I came up to this three way stop, stepped on the brakes, Looked to my left as I rolled through the intersection and there was a cop. I said "oh shit" and of course he started following me. I pulled into this park about 100 yards down the road when the cop turned on his blue lights. I proceeded to drive about another 50 feet to a parking space as the cop pulled in behind me. I shut off the engine and rolled down the window as the cop approached. I started to say I was sorry for not coming to a complete stop at the stop sign but the cop started yelling "when I turn on my blue lights that means stop" in a very angry manner. I told him I thought it would be better to park safely rather than stop in the middle of the road. He then demanded my license insurance and registration. I nervously fumbled through my wallet to retrieve the documents. So the cop starts to go back to his car and yells something at me. I asked "Excuse ME"? And he yells back "Stay in You vehicle". About twenty minutes later he returns to my car and says there's a problem with my registration. I ask what the problem is and he says it's expired but he checked and found that it is valid so I wouldn't get a ticket for that. But for running the stop sign the fine is $169 and so many points on your license. Then he started to explain the different options I had. By now I'm pretty pissed off because I fully expected a warning. So I replied "I know what to do" and he says "have a nice day and drives off.
This is the first ticket I've gotten in over ten years. The last ticket I got was for gong 25 MPH in a 15 MPH zone. I well known speed trap that I passed every day. One time I just wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, that's my story. I want to know what you think I should do? Should I just pay the fine and forget about it or should I take it to court?
If I take it to court and are found guilty then I have to pay the original fine PLUS the judge can add a fine of up to $500 depending on his mood. What would you do?
Here is a short clip of the scene of the crime. I'm sitting where the cop was and the car going through the intersection did pretty much exactly what I did.
By the way, I sat in this position for about fifteen minutes and not a single vehicle came to a stop.

I've tried everyway I can think of but I can't seem the upload the video.
Here is a link to it I think:
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Just pay it, you were in the wrong so no point to fighting it. It happens and sucks but not worth the headache.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (07-30-2015), Choco (07-30-2015), humfrz (07-31-2015), Premium 615 (07-30-2015), Rampage (07-30-2015), Tcoat (07-30-2015), tyrantcf (07-30-2015), WNDSRFR (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
ChrisSC300

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You ran the stop sign and got busted. Pay this fine and call it a day. Why take a chance at a bigger fine & fight it when your obviously guilty and admit to it.
ChrisSC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChrisSC300 For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (07-30-2015), Choco (07-30-2015), Dream20b (07-30-2015), tyrantcf (07-30-2015), WNDSRFR (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
UchihaFanBoy

Drives: 16 BRZ,99 Forester,13 FRS(RIP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Go to court and try to lower the points or pay the fine and keep the points and drive safe. I think it 1 or 2 points for that..well in Jersey.. Like a month ago I was pulled over by a state trooper for speeding 80mph on a 55mph. The trooper asked me did I know why he pulled me over I told the truth. It was my first time getting pulled over. I've been driving for 6 years clean record like i told the trooper but he gave me a ticket anyways and said next time dont speed lol I went to court to fight for the ticket without a lawyer and judge let me slide and took all my points off(4 points I had) and paid fine and court fee. Just go to court and see what happens.
UchihaFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UchihaFanBoy For This Useful Post:
WNDSRFR (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
NO, don't pay it. Either go to court and fight it, (you have an incredibly high chance of at least getting no points in your license this being your first ticket in the past few years), or as a last resort take traffic school online and get a reduced ticket fee AND no points in your license.

No points in your license is key to not have the insurance raised.

Never just pay a ticket, fight it.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
steeloyangster (08-03-2015), WNDSRFR (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Get a lawyer and take it to court.

It won't be cheap, but the lawyer should be able to knock your ticket down to a lower offense and hopefully no points. The no points is what you're really hoping for.

Points are going to jack your insurance rates WAY UP and for YEARS!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Here is a short clip of the scene of the crime. I'm sitting where the cop was and the car going through the intersection did pretty much exactly what I did.
By the way, I sat in this position for about fifteen minutes and not a single vehicle came to a stop.
Unfortunately I can't view the video due to being at work but;

"and the car going through the intersection did pretty much exactly what I did."
- unless you have proof that this occurred and that the cop was looking directly at it, it may only help just a little bit.

"I sat in this position for about fifteen minutes and not a single vehicle came to a stop."
- unfortunately that's how life is when it comes to cops/the law. You can see everyone else roll through stops yet when you decide to do it once there just happens to be a cop there.

I'm unsure if a rolling through a stop sign gives a point on your record or not.. if it doesn't I would just pay the fine. If it does, it doesnt hurt to go to court and just pray that the cop doesn't show up.
Theres times where I've met nice and mean cops, unfortunately 1 lead to a point on my record. (I did 75 on the freeway in the carpool lane and the cop originally pulled me over because he couldn't see my passenger. He then gave me the ticket for "speeding" instead.) I also once got out of a ticket for doing 5 or 7 over the speed limit at a speed trap but when he came to the car and asked for license and registration I said the following "I have my license in my wallet which is in my back pocket and my registration is in the glovebox. Do I have your permission to reach for these items." he told me to have a good day and left.

Cops like reassurance, some just happen to be d*cks. I know this might not be a lot of help but it's up to you on what you'd like to do. I never fought a ticket because those were the only times i've gotten pulled over. It just matters on the mood of the officer on your court date...

hoped this helped!
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
WNDSRFR (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
UchihaFanBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
Get a lawyer and take it to court.

It won't be cheap, but the lawyer should be able to knock your ticket down to a lower offense and hopefully no points. The no points is what you're really hoping for.

Points are going to jack your insurance rates WAY UP and for YEARS!
No lawyer its a waste of money
WNDSRFR (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
NO, don't pay it. Either go to court and fight it, (you have an incredibly high chance of at least getting no points in your license this being your first ticket in the past few years), or as a last resort take traffic school online and get a reduced ticket fee AND no points in your license.

No points in your license is key to not have the insurance raised.

Never just pay a ticket, fight it.
Paying a ticket is an admission of guilt. You can go to court and potentially get it dropped or traffic school like Sportsguy said, or maybe even reduced to something else that doesn't add points.

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinski For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #10
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
In Miami, you get a lawyer for $60 or so, and he drops the ticket completely, no ticket to pay, no court fees (I got a ticket for running a stop sign close to work in the middle of nowhere at 6 am) and got it dropped completely from the system.

But I know lawyer prices are higher in other parts of FL that is why I didn't recommend them.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
UchihaFanBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
In Miami, you get a lawyer for $60 or so, and he drops the ticket completely, no ticket to pay, no court fees (I got a ticket for running a stop sign close to work in the middle of nowhere at 6 am) and got it dropped completely from the system.

But I know lawyer prices are higher in other parts of FL that is why I didn't recommend them.
Are you sure lol Im moving to Miami then lol. Lawyers here are like $400+ if your lucky to find one $300... but still pay court fee and ticket .. low cost.
Sportsguy83 (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaFanBoy View Post
Are you sure lol Im moving to Miami then lol. Lawyers here are like $400+ if your lucky to find one $300... but still pay court fee and ticket .. low cost.
This is an example http://www.theticketclinic.com/

starts at $49. Moving violations are at like $79.

Another company Alex Hanna, does like $69.

But there are smaller lawyer firms, and those can be like $50. (I think I payed $60 for that last dismissal, so much worth it).
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
UchihaFanBoy (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
LOL .... our court system is really working well when $60 attorneys can turn your guilty offense into being innocent. I mean ... you broke the law and admitted it. The police officer did sound like a D-bag, though.

The people to blame for this is .... the court system. Just having an attorney present shouldn't sway the judge.

Now ..... if your INNOCENT .... then you fight it in court.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braces For This Useful Post:
WNDSRFR (07-31-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
LOL .... our court system is really working well when $60 attorneys can turn your guilty offense into being innocent. I mean ... you broke the law and admitted it. The police officer did sound like a D-bag, though.

The people to blame for this is .... the court system. Just having an attorney present shouldn't sway the judge.

Now ..... if your INNOCENT .... then you fight it in court.
The traffic ticket system in general, is in it to make money, at least in Miami. I'd say 99% of the time you get a traffic ticket, if you haven't had one say in the last 3 months, you will be let go with no points, but they will collect "court fees" similar to the traffic ticket.....

Now about how guilty or innocent I was (I know each case is different, but read this one). We have a stop sign at work literally miles out in the middle of nowhere, on a street barely driven by anyone else but my workplace. There's a 4 way stop sign, which while you're approaching, you have clear view of all sides and know beforehand if you need to stop because someone else will be there before you. Going to my work is turning right, so it's not even running a stop sign to continue forward.

So one day, this cop decides to hide, and get hundreds of my co-workers who don't full stop in the sign.

Now, I can understand, if this was peak hour, there's a lot of traffic in the area, or someone just blatantly runs through the stop sign. But this is at 6 am, not one soul in the road except the cars turning right going to work, and he's there nailing everyone. I almost stopped, basically rolled over the sign at 5 mph and got nailed.

Is he really enforcing the law to make it safe for someone, or just racking up thousands of dollars in tickets, for the fun of it? I understand the law is there to be respected, but I also think there are cases and cases.

Well anyway, got off it clean. YMMV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Braces (07-30-2015), WNDSRFR (07-31-2015)