follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #3011
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCFRS View Post
Any other mid level coilovers besides the KW v3 and Tarmac 2s worth looking at?

Recently upgraded my 13 frs to a 17 brz. I ran fortune autos the last few years in STX, and while they were competitive locally and i did well on them, I'm looking for a new setup to be nationally competitive. MCS are out of the question because i just can't afford them.

Thanks for any help
I have HKS and I am really shocked at how good they are.

Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #3012
Simmons

What seat bracket are people using?

Simmons

Old 01-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #3013
JoeCFRS

Drives: 2013 Firestorm red FRS manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post
I have HKS and I am really shocked at how good they are.

Simmons
Hmm interesting. I think another dc region stx member has them and said they were pretty good also. Adjustable rebound as well as damping?
JoeCFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #3014
Simmons

Quote:
Hmm interesting. I think another dc region stx member has them and said they were pretty good also. Adjustable rebound as well as damping?
Just rebound,...... I know Greg and Jen have them from DC.

I got these from Matt Jones who use to be in DC.

Simmons

Old 01-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #3015
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Recently upgraded my 13 frs to a 17 brz. I ran fortune autos the last few years in STX, and while they were competitive locally and i did well on them, I'm looking for a new setup to be nationally competitive. MCS are out of the question because i just can't afford them.

Thanks for any help
ProParts had a custom setup Megan Racing coilover they did very well on early last year (2nd at the Crow's Landing tour, ), might be worth phoning them up to see if they're willing to build another set.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=36
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=39

It's tough finding something for autox, most in the <$3k budget prioritize DD and/or entry level drivers (or hellaflush yo), over $3k and it generally turns to track use, autox is niche and imho you'll have to be in contact with someone to have something not quite off the shelf or play with spring rates and sway bars yourself to dial in a setup and really take it to the next level suspension wise, I'd be calling a bunch of people before switching off what I have now. Chang/Lugod were running Mann Engineering AST's, maybe the single adjustables can nab you 90% of the performance for 50% of the price?

I really can't vouch firsthand for how good those systems are, only stalking the quick cars online (and I've heard good and bad reviews for pretty much everything at this point). But, my shortlist would be MCS, ProParts, and AST/Mann, but I wouldn't turn my nose up on KW/RCE. I'd suggest to not get hung up on single vs. double at your price point as I think then you might be locked into RCE (which may work well if you can test n' tune the hell out of 'em). Hell I still believe a non-adjustable can be setup well enough to win.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #3016
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
What seat bracket are people using?

Simmons
I seem to remember Buddy Club being the bracket of choice.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #3017
JoeCFRS

Quote:
Just rebound,...... I know Greg and Jen have them from DC.

I got these from Matt Jones who use to be in DC.

Simmons
Yea thats who i was talking about. I thought thats what they had but wasn't sure. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #3018
JoeCFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
ProParts had a custom setup Megan Racing coilover they did very well on early last year (2nd at the Crow's Landing tour, ), might be worth phoning them up to see if they're willing to build another set.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=36
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=39

It's tough finding something for autox, most in the <$3k budget prioritize DD and/or entry level drivers (or hellaflush yo), over $3k and it generally turns to track use, autox is niche and imho you'll have to be in contact with someone to have something not quite off the shelf or play with spring rates and sway bars yourself to dial in a setup and really take it to the next level suspension wise, I'd be calling a bunch of people before switching off what I have now. Chang/Lugod were running Mann Engineering AST's, maybe the single adjustables can nab you 90% of the performance for 50% of the price?

I really can't vouch firsthand for how good those systems are, only stalking the quick cars online (and I've heard good and bad reviews for pretty much everything at this point). But, my shortlist would be MCS, ProParts, and AST/Mann, but I wouldn't turn my nose up on KW/RCE. I'd suggest to not get hung up on single vs. double at your price point as I think then you might be locked into RCE (which may work well if you can test n' tune the hell out of 'em). Hell I still believe a non-adjustable can be setup well enough to win.

Great info. Thanks for all of the details. I wish i could afford those AST's or MCS.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #3019
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Great info. Thanks for all of the details. I wish i could afford those AST's or MCS.
The single adjustables from Mann are $2k-$2.5k, same price or less than T2's, if you start having to buy different springs for the V3/T2/ast than what they come with you start creeping into MCS single adjustable territory.

Don't forget to budget for camber plates. New T2's with new camber plates are going to put you up to almost $3k. By my count an MCS single adjustable setup will be <$500 more expensive than T2's unless you're shopping used.

But I get where you're coming from, I'd be calling ProParts, everything else seems to be on par with the Fortune Autos you had before.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:09 AM   #3020
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Thanks for any help

I’ve seen a lot of guys at national events running KW club sports but they’re close to MCS money.
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #3021
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
On the topic of coilovers;

I was unable to find a buyer for my KWv3 and the AutoX season is getting close so I’m looking to re-spring them to 400 square.

Where did everyone get their springs?
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #3022
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ignition View Post
On the topic of coilovers;

I was unable to find a buyer for my KWv3 and the AutoX season is getting close so I’m looking to re-spring them to 400 square.

Where did everyone get their springs?
I've bought Eibach and Hyperco springs through Summit Racing, ProParts, and even Amazon (find the P/N and google it, buy from the least shady vendor with a good price) but their 60mm spring selection isn't spectacular, first glance looks like they don't really have the perfect spring which would push you towards Swift springs, but at $20 more each I never bought into the hype. It might be worth considering the switch to 2.5" diameter springs, you get a huge selection from Hyperco and Eibach then, 1" length increments in 25 lb/in increments across the board.

I had Hyperco 425# springs F/R for awhile, went with 7" length and ended up with helper springs, I'm considering selling them and would love to send 'em out to you, but I'm a dummy and built my setup around 2.25" springs.

tl;dr find the part number for the spring you want, google it, buy from the vendor you trust.

Eibach catalog: (click motorsports)
http://eibach.com/us/rt-2-catalog-downloads.html
Hyperco catalog: (if you have questions about hyperco's springs, i.e. the data they don't publish but Eibach does like block height, send them an email and they'll happily respond with it in my experience)
https://www.hypercoils.com/wp-conten...co_catalog.pdf
Old 01-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #3023
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
We've got some KW RACE 400 lbs/in springs in stock if you're interested.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #3024
oinojo
Suspension Nerd

Drives: 2019 Mazda MX-5
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
For around $2k or less can get you revalved (my valving) AST 4100s similar to what I ran at Nationals. I would contact MANN Engineering and speak to Jan.

I just recently did a set for an SFR SCCA member and was very happy with the ride and performance.