follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #6091
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloFRS View Post
Hello Everybody, I've been browsing the forums for quite awhile but now can post here. Just got my 2015 Halo(white) Scion FR-S AT last friday and I'm Loving it!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Great color choice (especially for the SW).

Yep, fill er up with premium gas; read the manual (ALL of it); keep your distance from the parking stops ....... and you are good to go to have some fun driving .....

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
86geek (05-14-2015), Tcoat (05-13-2015)
Old 05-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #6092
5thGenOwner

Drives: '10 SS & '15 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Hello everyone!

Thought I'd make my very first post here an introductory one, and a story on how I stumbled upon the Twins.

Right off the bat, I will fully admit to having no deep technical knowledge about cars. I can get by with basic terminology but aside from pistons, flywheel, headers, etc, that's pretty much it. Why is this the case? It's because computers and the IT field is my first passion. I just recently started to get interested into cars about October-November of last year. Let's start from the beginning.

Up until the end of last year, I considered all cars to be the same (something that gets you from point A to point B; overall, one can say that does hold true). That was until I looked out the window while riding the bus to the local college and saw something that caught my interest. It was yellow, convertible, and just... interesting. So, I snapped a picture and reverse-image searched it on Google. Turns out it was a Honda S2000.

For 2 months, that car lingered in the back of my mind as I tutored the 1st years while looking for an IT job. Never became obsessed with it, just kept thinking about the car once or twice every week. That doubled when I finally landed this internship (hopefully full time position soon) at this somewhat unknown but very large company around Thanksgiving. All I could think about was buying that car. I wanted that car so bad. Great looking. People were saying it was a great car to learn how to drive a manual transmission in. I can keep going on forever.

As I looked around on the internet for <75k miles on the odometer in my area, there were none to be found. There were a few... in California and Florida. So I became a bit frustrated but not to the point of giving up. Fast forward to around mid-January, 2015. My parents gave me their 2000 Corolla since I got the job, plus they wanted a new car anyways (I think that was the main reason haha). They had minor issues with their RAV4 so they went to the Toyota dealership to get it checked out, and I decided to tag along since I had nothing else to do. I sat in the showroom for about 10 minutes while they talked things over.

Then that's when I saw this peculiar yellow car that caught my eye. Guess my subconscious has a thing for yellow cars? Anyways, I walked over and looked at it for about 5 minutes. "It is a beautiful looking car," is what I kept saying. I spotted a pamphlet and picked it up without really paying much attention to the print, except for the front page that stated "2015 FR-S". I went home afterwards without a second thought of that car.

Fast forward again to the end of February. I was browsing again for the S2000. At this time, the Twins were #2 on my list but was in the "maybe" category. That's when I saw an AP1 (MY2000) w/16k miles for $17,000. That's when I started to freak out and get all "I want this car, NOW!!" I showed it to my brother, dad, and uncle; most of my family are car people so I go to them for car stuff while they come to me to fix their computer issues. Anyways, my dad said buy a new car. For your first car that you will spend your own money on, get one that is new. My uncle said the same thing, while my brother was 50/50. He was on the fence until he watched some videos on the Twins. After a week, he said "F*** the S2000, get the BRZ/FR-S." I must mention he is 5 years younger than I am. It also took me another week or so after that but the seed had been planted and it started to grow.

That's when my obsession kicked in to full gear. I watched a ton of reviews, read articles, and stumbled upon this forum where I read further into people's experiences and such. With every passing week since I gave up on the S2K, my interest blossomed into where I am now reading on what each part of the car does, how to properly maintain cars, etc. In fact, I now consider cars to be a close 2nd hobby to my main passion for anything computer related. I'm not just reading/watching content related to the Twins, but any car that I stumble upon. Man, it's a whole new world that I'm late to.

Right now, I am leaning towards the FR-S over the BRZ but I shall see where my finances are around this time next year as I plan to buy the car outright with no loans. My fellow coworkers, who are 10+ years older than I am, said I am in the right age (23 and no kids) to be having fun with a sports car. Plus, my current wage as an intern (more as full time) will more than enough justify in buying one of the Twins. I plan to keep it mostly stock for a while and see where it goes from there.

Anyways, if you read this whole thing, thank you very much for taking the time out of your day/night to do so. I am looking forward to learning from and interacting with everyone as I search through what's new everyday. Also looking forward to meeting up with some of the fellow Twins owners around the Pacific NW in the future!

Thanks again!

-Steve

PS: Turns out that yellow car that I saw at the Toyota dealership is the 2015 Release Series 1.0 :p

Thank you
Steve! Great story and well told.

Being a car-a-holic myself, I always wondered if we could turn some of 'you folk' to the 'dark side'... now I know it is possible!! Although, I also consider myself to be a bit of a computer/gaming grown-up, who got his thrills with cars on video games well before I could ever own one myself. (how did you miss out on all the great racing games?)

Anyway, sorry I'm a little late getting back to the party, I haven't checked this thread in awhile. Happy belated b-day, artman, I think?
5thGenOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #6093
sweetspeed

Drives: 2014 Raven Black FR-S
Hello

What's up fellas! I'm Jeff, bought a 2014 Scion FR-S about 8 months ago and am in the process of heavily modifying it... if you have any suggestions definitely let me know! Pics soon to follow
sweetspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #6094
S84kam

Drives: FBRZS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just purchased a 2015 red firestorm frs. I have been looking for a car since the introduction 5 years ago. Glad to be on board!!
S84kam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S84kam For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #6095
jetrex

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Hello, My name is Ed and I am the proud owner of a 2013 Scion FRS in Whiteout with the 6 speed Manual. Absolutely loving this car! It came with Borla exhaust and 19" Konig Rims(I dont care for the rims). Looking to replace the rims with the TRD 18x7.5 rims.

jetrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #6096
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetspeed View Post
What's up fellas! I'm Jeff, bought a 2014 Scion FR-S about 8 months ago and am in the process of heavily modifying it... if you have any suggestions definitely let me know! Pics soon to follow
Hi Jeff ....... WELCOME!

Does your car REALLY have whitewalls .....

humfrz
Old 05-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #6097
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by S84kam View Post
Just purchased a 2015 red firestorm frs. I have been looking for a car since the introduction 5 years ago. Glad to be on board!!
WELCOME and CONGRATULATIONS ......

Introduction 5 years ago ..... ?? ...... I reckon time just flys by when you're retired .....

humfrz
Old 05-15-2015, 08:46 PM   #6098
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrex View Post
Hello, My name is Ed and I am ..........
Hello Ed, my name is humfrz and I'm an ...... oh, wrong forum .....

WELCOME to the group!

humfrz
Old 05-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #6099
sweetspeed

Drives: 2014 Raven Black FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hi Jeff ....... WELCOME!

Does your car REALLY have whitewalls .....

humfrz
na man, that was simply the tire wet foam drying, but it makes for a cool pic!
sweetspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetspeed For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-15-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 12:17 AM   #6100
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Garage
Long time lurker here. Was supposed to take delivery of my new fr-s today, but upon final inspection there were 2 dents on the passenger rear quarter. They weren't bad, but I think one of them had some creasing. I could see it about 10 to 15 feet away. It was transported from another dealership and my dealership believes the damage was there before transport.

They have a body guy coming Monday to fix it. I told them if it needed to be repainted or the dent could not be fully repaired that I would not take the car. Hopefully they have a great PDR guy. They gave me a Camry as a loaner through Monday and were apologetic. My salesman was very good through the whole experience, but this still leaves me a little disappointed. Fingers crossed that everything will be ok.
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:21 AM   #6101
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride86 View Post
Long time lurker here. Was supposed to take delivery of my new fr-s today, but upon final inspection there were 2 dents on the passenger rear quarter. ..........
CONGRATULATIONS ..... on your new car.

WELCOME to ...... the group.

A couple of dents ...... hmmmmm ....... I'll wager the PDR person can make them disappear.

You will find that these little cars dent REAL easy.

You're sorta lucky, your car came with some dents ...... I had to wait ...... for my wife to put in the first one, my granddaughter to put in the second one and I made it three by "resting" a rubber trash can against the rear fender.

While you're waiting for the PDR man to do his magic, is a great time to ..... read the manual ...... the WHOLE thing .... not just how to set the radio.

Have a fun driving summer!

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 05:01 AM   #6102
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Garage
As I inspected the dents, I could tell the sheetmetal felt very thin. This is a weekend car so it won't get used much. Trust me it'll be parked far away from everything. Cars will get dents over the years. Just sucks that someone damaged my car before acquisition. I was very excited to be driving around this weekend, but I'll just have to be patient.

Either way I'm glad to be part of this forum. I've already seen a great deal of tips/tricks and general advice. Hopefully I'll be applying some of them to my car.
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joyride86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #6103
FRSMonogram

Drives: Scion FR-S Monogram in Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just traded my 09 Mazdaspeed3 for an FR-S Monogram, Manual, in Argento.

Name is George and I'm living in Glastonbury, CT.

FRSMonogram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSMonogram For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #6104
svtfever

Drives: 14 GMC Sierra SLE CC 4x4.
looks great
svtfever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6mt, bot. report?, frs, notreally, turbo