follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2022, 11:57 PM   #1
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sirius XM

Is this available through the head unit without android or apple car play?
Old 02-20-2022, 12:16 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Sirius XM is a satellite system that has nothing to do with either Carplay nor Auto.
It will however require a subscription after whatever the free trial period is.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,817 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This may be informative.

https://vaistech.com/satellite-any-car/
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:41 AM   #4
Danslides

Drives: Car
Delete

Last edited by Danslides; 03-29-2022 at 02:58 PM.
Danslides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #5
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Cool thank you for answering. I have it on my car now I wanted to see if transferring to a GR was possible. I just wasn’t sure if it was built into the head unit
Old 02-20-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Activate it for a month, then cancel for 2 months. You'll get about 200 flyers in that 2 months to re-enable your subscription for varying deals.
Old 02-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #7
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Activate it for a month, then cancel for 2 months. You'll get about 200 flyers in that 2 months to re-enable your subscription for varying deals.
I can confirm this. There's even endless threads on Reddit about how to continually resubscribe for the introductory rate.

What I can't figure out is why Sirius XM believes, exclusively, that in order to compete with things like Pandora and Spotify they have to be "different" and have absolutely inane and infuriately chatty DJ's on every channel.

If I could hop in my car and, without connecting my phone, listen to randomized music from a variety of genres I'd probably pay a monthly subscription for that. Because I already pay for that with Pandora's premium service that I have to connect my phone to use, and use data (or the less-random offline feature).

When we bought my wife's car a few years back it came with a Sirius XM trial. We listened for a few weeks and then just used Android Auto from then on. I see the same thing happening with the GR86. I'm already sick to death of the decades-past-relevance DJs talking about everything except "that was X, up next is Y".
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 07:23 PM   #8
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
I can confirm this. There's even endless threads on Reddit about how to continually resubscribe for the introductory rate.

What I can't figure out is why Sirius XM believes, exclusively, that in order to compete with things like Pandora and Spotify they have to be "different" and have absolutely inane and infuriately chatty DJ's on every channel.

If I could hop in my car and, without connecting my phone, listen to randomized music from a variety of genres I'd probably pay a monthly subscription for that. Because I already pay for that with Pandora's premium service that I have to connect my phone to use, and use data (or the less-random offline feature).

When we bought my wife's car a few years back it came with a Sirius XM trial. We listened for a few weeks and then just used Android Auto from then on. I see the same thing happening with the GR86. I'm already sick to death of the decades-past-relevance DJs talking about everything except "that was X, up next is Y".
i used to subscribe to XM back when they competed with each other, and then xmsirius, within the first 2 years of the merger.

at first, it was somewhat worthwhile, as xm music channels were commercial free, and almost no dj's either. but no station played more than 20 songs of any of their respective genre-- which is my biggest pet peeve of radio.. a 'classic rock' station that spans 30 years of music, and they can distill all that down to 20 songs?!?

the dj's entered the picture around the merger, and commercials shortly after. the commercials were really bad at first-- they only signed 2 advertisers so every single commercial break only had those 2 ad's on repeat...

now, the only advantage to satellite radio is the fact that one doesn't need to change the station to drive across the country. but it's still listening to the same 10 songs.

of course, i gave up on pandora as well-- i've got 3 different pandora accounts, each of which i attempted different techniques to find new music. they all ended up playing the same 50 songs...
Tcoat (02-23-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 07:24 PM   #9
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
Not sure what year you have but the 2020 has exactly that feature for Sirius. You give it a pool of stations and it randomly plays from each.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #10
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
the dj's entered the picture around the merger, and commercials shortly after. the commercials were really bad at first-- they only signed 2 advertisers so every single commercial break only had those 2 ad's on repeat...
Forgot about that. Yeah, they still have ads. For other SiriusXM channels.

W. T. F.

Yes, I'm aware I could change the channel. I'm aware there are other stations. You don't make more money if I use more channels, so why in the FLUFF are you wasting my time trying to sell me on something I already pay for? Shut up and play the next song. FFS.

Quote:
of course, i gave up on pandora as well-- i've got 3 different pandora accounts, each of which i attempted different techniques to find new music. they all ended up playing the same 50 songs...
Yeah, this is why I end up building playlists and just running those through the phone. I haven't really found a great way to do that, but I can at least do things like pull my entire discography of a given band off my media server, delete all the "non-driving" songs, and then dump that into a playlist.

I've built a few multi-hour playlists over the years. It's not perfect, but it's better than the alternatives.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 11:17 PM   #11
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Yeah, this is why I end up building playlists and just running those through the phone. I haven't really found a great way to do that, but I can at least do things like pull my entire discography of a given band off my media server, delete all the "non-driving" songs, and then dump that into a playlist.

I've built a few multi-hour playlists over the years. It's not perfect, but it's better than the alternatives.
the point of any music service to me is to locate new music styled like that which i've already indicated i like. the premise of pandora appealed to this concept. i really have no idea how it goes so wrong. it took me 3 accounts to figure it out. all started with the same recommendations. first, i thumb-upped everything i liked. down to 50 songs. 2nd account, i thumb-downed everything i disliked. same 50 songs. last i just let it play everything. never skipped, never liked/disliked. and it still arrived at about 60 of the same songs that time.

i've been told that if i work really hard to curate a spotify playlist, it'll do that. but if i'm working hard at it, i don't need an intelligent web service.
Old 07-25-2023, 02:32 PM   #12
tiger1964

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Quote:
Quote:
i used to subscribe to XM back when they competed with each other, and then xmsirius, within the first 2 years of the merger. at first, it was somewhat worthwhile, as xm music channels were commercial free, and almost no dj's either. but no station played more than 20 songs of any of their respective genre-- which is my biggest pet peeve of radio.. a 'classic rock' station that spans 30 years of music, and they can distill all that down to 20 songs?!?
Interesting. Got an offer to subscribe, a couple of months free then $23.99/month; if my wife keeps this car 16 years too, heading towards $4600+ to listen to the radio. We can buy a lot of CD's for that, or succumb to sticking files on a thumb drive. I did a live chat with Sirius XM and asked for deals, there's a program at $107.99 for 12 months, then regular pricing. I forsee endless annual friction with them with cancelling and renewing...
Old 07-25-2023, 09:30 PM   #13
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Not a fan of satellite, tried it in another rig and let it lapse. We did find a comedy channel at that time that had someone on that made us laugh so hard on the gravel travel we had to stop.

I just use Spotify, paid subscription, any more as I create my playlists and listen to whatever I want without any commercials. Works great with the car play systems. Our tow rig has both since we have varying phones in the house.

Entirely music for my car, my commute isn't long enough for podcasts or audio books long format media.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #14
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1964 View Post
Interesting. Got an offer to subscribe, a couple of months free then $23.99/month; if my wife keeps this car 16 years too, heading towards $4600+ to listen to the radio. We can buy a lot of CD's for that, or succumb to sticking files on a thumb drive. I did a live chat with Sirius XM and asked for deals, there's a program at $107.99 for 12 months, then regular pricing. I forsee endless annual friction with them with cancelling and renewing...
You should never have to pay full price for SXM. When we were using it, I was able to consistently renew it for $5 to $6/Month by talking to a live agent.

That said, I'm surprised they maintain their high cost. It's just not worth it even at the $70 or so per year.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-26-2023)