follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #15
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I think what he means is that in 5 years we will be using the technology of that time and not current(today's) tech.

The problem with current battery tech is it is advancing so fast it is obsoleting itself and leaving behind no support in a very short amount of time. Unless you have a custom solution made and continue to contract it to be built, or the industry can support a standardized battery. Our 48V/30AH that we where using is already obsolete with no plans to support it from the manufacturer. We hadn't even finished evaluating it yet

Now we are forced to adapt a solution that we believe(fingers crossed) may continue to be supported in some capacity even though it is not very ideal for our application.
More advanced battery technology isn’t needed. Any improvements only betters the situation, but the real thing that is needed in infrastructure.

You say it is advancing so fast that it is making the old stuff obsolete. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Because batteries have to be capable of charging off 120v/220v, they are all backwards compatible. It is true that basic chargers won’t compete with V3 Superchargers, but they don’t have to because we just need more at this time. Moreover, older batteries are still great for use in home/grid storage. Older EVs will make perfect used cars for many people.

The other big thing is hydrogen. If anyone wants the range anxiety gone then battery/hydrogen cars will be the obvious solution. Again, we need supporting infrastructure.

Also remember, this is all NEW car sales in the UK. Plenty of used ICE cars will still be on the road for decades after, unless they change the laws.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #16
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Need to change the perspective away from the North American idea of distances and range when considering battery charge life in the UK.
Don't you know? America is the center of the universe and everything done in the world has to be filtered with American eyes.

Also, I'm 99% certain my next car will be the 2021+ Toyota Mirai. Got to sit in one last week while doing a focus group research study, I'm sold.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
More advanced battery technology isn’t needed. Any improvements only betters the situation, but the real thing that is needed in infrastructure.

You say it is advancing so fast that it is making the old stuff obsolete. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Because batteries have to be capable of charging off 120v/220v, they are all backwards compatible. It is true that basic chargers won’t compete with V3 Superchargers, but they don’t have to because we just need more at this time. Moreover, older batteries are still great for use in home/grid storage. Older EVs will make perfect used cars for many people.

The other big thing is hydrogen. If anyone wants the range anxiety gone then battery/hydrogen cars will be the obvious solution. Again, we need supporting infrastructure.

Also remember, this is all NEW car sales in the UK. Plenty of used ICE cars will still be on the road for decades after, unless they change the laws.
Try being a small manufacturer building battery powered equipment then

I know infrastructure is an issue, I live in Oregon. I work in the capital and live blocks from the capital building. Couldn't tell you where the nearest public EV charger is. Believe me I look as used Leafs are only about 5k.
soundman98 (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #18
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Try being a small manufacturer building battery powered equipment then

I know infrastructure is an issue, I live in Oregon. I work in the capital and live blocks from the capital building. Couldn't tell you where the nearest public EV charger is. Believe me I look as used Leafs are only about 5k.
https://goelectric.oregon.gov/charge-your-ev

Quote:
Oregon has nearly 1,600 public charging stations from seven charging networks: AeroVironment, Blink, ChargePoint, EVgo, Greenlots, SemaConnect, and Tesla.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah I know there are ways to look it up. But like I said, my route from blocks away from the capital building to one of the main industrial areas of town, don't have any near by. I can't even take a bus from the nearest charging station I can find online to my work without having to walk quite a ways No infrastructure. Cart before the horse.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #20
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:

hydrogen makes even less sense. it leaks out of EVERYTHING, the storage tanks have an expiration date(meaning the car has an expiration date), it's pressurized, and it violently explodes.

also an important factor is the uk heavily taxes older vehicles--scratch that, i can't find any definitive info on it except that they tax on c02 emissions...
Irace86.2.0 (02-05-2020), why? (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #21
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
hydrogen makes even less sense. it leaks out of EVERYTHING, the storage tanks have an expiration date(meaning the car has an expiration date), it's pressurized, and it violently explodes.

also an important factor is the uk heavily taxes older vehicles--scratch that, i can't find any definitive info on it except that they tax on c02 emissions...
I doubt Toyota would invest so much in the tech if it wasn’t viable. They just need more infrastructure. I agree with Musk that it is less efficient, but it will have a place in the future for range for many vehicles. Even if batteries become faster to charge then it’ll still be necessary for some people for towing or whatever. Maybe if they can half the weight and double the range then maybe that would make hydrogen obsolete, even for special applications.
Dadhawk (02-06-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #22
soundman98

i have a sneaking suspicion that toyota's hydrogen push has a lot to do with the definitive vehicle expiration date, as well as the capability of using natural gas to create the fuel.

toyota is still very much "refueling ain't our problem".
Old 02-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #23
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If after 100 yrs, they could build reliable internal combustion engines, my opinion on evs would be different. The manufacturers can't seem to avoid major recalls with every new model. Maybe they can handle electric motors better than they do engines and transmissions
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #24
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
If after 100 yrs, they could build reliable internal combustion engines, my opinion on evs would be different. The manufacturers can't seem to avoid major recalls with every new model. Maybe they can handle electric motors better than they do engines and transmissions
most of the recalls these days don't deal with powertrain issues...
Old 02-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #25
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
most of the recalls these days don't deal with powertrain issues...
But there are enough powertrain recalls to make me wonder if they'll ever get it right. And notwithstanding recalls, how about throw out bearings, cvts that fail after 50k miles, 1000 dollar water pump replacements etc.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #26
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
15 years is a lot of time. So many things can happen and opinions on ICE/EV can change. Technology in vehicles can also advance drastically. We’ve seen how much technology in general advanced between 2000 and 2015. I think we’ll see the trend on car manufacturers picking up on EV and hybrid cars continue.

We really can’t say how things are going to be in 2035, so we have to wait and see. I really don’t know how they expect people to let go of internal combustion engines though. There’s a lot more of those than battery powered cars. Won’t they lose money if people decide to keep their cars refuse to buy?
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #27
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
15 years is a lot of time. So many things can happen and opinions on ICE/EV can change. Technology in vehicles can also advance drastically. We’ve seen how much technology in general advanced between 2000 and 2015. I think we’ll see the trend on car manufacturers picking up on EV and hybrid cars continue.

We really can’t say how things are going to be in 2035, so we have to wait and see. I really don’t know how they expect people to let go of internal combustion engines though. There’s a lot more of those than battery powered cars. Won’t they lose money if people decide to keep their cars refuse to buy?
Most people have zero attachment to ICEs. Most want something that gets them from A to B in comfort without issues. ICE will die like the manual transmission. It is unfortunate, but it’ll happen.
86MLR (02-06-2020), Captain Snooze (02-06-2020), Will BRZ (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 10:23 PM   #28
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Most people have zero attachment to ICEs. Most want something that gets them from A to B in comfort without issues. ICE will die like the manual transmission. It is unfortunate, but it’ll happen.
Yeah good point. Not exactly the same way, but I know what you mean. Feel like we’ll see some more of this.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j52odgkRxDs[/ame]

Speaking of which. What about big oil and gas companies? Like of course there will still be a big demand for it for other things, but cars and trucks must be a huge part of it. What about like 18 wheelers and all the other trucks?
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (02-06-2020)