follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #85
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantKR View Post
Because it's the same thing! Obviously this guy gets it. If you want a RWD 2 door with a turbo, then just get a WRX.

And the WRX and BRZ are in the same price category. Most people that want a turbo would be willing to shell out another 4-6k for a BRZ WRX/STi.
Ok then buy an aftermarket turbo...it will equal the difference or do you need a reason to complain?

I get what you're saying but I think you missed the point that has been made. They don't want 2 sports cars costing the same amount...what's the purpose of that? Pleasing the brz/fr-s drivers that don't mind? I'm ok without it. I'll get an aftermarket. If they add a turbo people will bitch it's not good enough and replace it like they do with the WRX and STi. Well maybe they don't complain about the WRX and STi but it does get replaced often enough
Old 11-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #86
Defuser
Remember

Drives: 2015 Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lava View Post
Ask yourself, why has Mazda not offered a higher horsepower option to the Miata?
This! WRX is not a valid comparison, as it is simply a variant of a 4-door econobox, which totally skews the margins.
Defuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #87
DantKR

Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
they make even less money on limited runs. It wouldn't be feasible to R&D a proper FI rig just to have it limited to the capacity to what we're seeing in their other limited releases. Aero and non-reliability parts (interior) is much easier to R&D and develop.

RWD 2 door with a turbo does not equal AWD 4 door with a turbo, but I see whatcha mean
Your sarcasm meter is broken .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
Ok then buy an aftermarket turbo...it will equal the difference or do you need a reason to complain?

I get what you're saying but I think you missed the point that has been made. They don't want 2 sports cars costing the same amount...what's the purpose of that? Pleasing the brz/fr-s drivers that don't mind? I'm ok without it. I'll get an aftermarket. If they add a turbo people will bitch it's not good enough and replace it like they do with the WRX and STi. Well maybe they don't complain about the WRX and STi but it does get replaced often enough
Because I want to void my warranty the first year I have the car? Also I don't exactly want to have to buy a tune. I'd rather have the factory one then just slap on a tune after the warranty is done and people learn about the factory version of the car. Been watching this thing for far to long and have a slight mistrust with some of the vendors after how they treated people in the first year and some change.

Or they can just make an actual "performance" model of the car. They're in the same price area but they fill different segments. Do you think people said the Impreza shouldn't get a turbo? Because in a way that's what you're saying. "Oh they shouldn't make a better performance version of what we already have."
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #88
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It certainly appears that those of us in the actual automotive industry all agree that we are unlikely to ever see a production FI car.
Woo! I'm part of the cool kids club!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #89
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
Woo! I'm part of the cool kids club!
Well I don't know if it is the "cool " kids as some would probably call us the "Dorky" crowd!
Shark_Bait88 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #90
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Son of a bitch, it is.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #91
Defuser
Remember

Quote:
Well I don't know if it is the "cool " kids as some would probably call us the "Dorky" crowd!
Depends on if he wears a hat like that or not!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #92
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuser View Post
Depends on if he wears a hat like that or not!
Hey a friend made me that hat!

SHHH he is on here so wear it to keep him happy wouldn't even touch it other wise.
Don't want too offend him but it is pretty dorky isn't it!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #93
Strife26

Quote:

Because I want to void my warranty the first year I have the car? Also I don't exactly want to have to buy a tune. I'd rather have the factory one then just slap on a tune after the warranty is done and people learn about the factory version of the car. Been watching this thing for far to long and have a slight mistrust with some of the vendors after how they treated people in the first year and some change.

Or they can just make an actual "performance" model of the car. They're in the same price area but they fill different segments. Do you think people said the Impreza shouldn't get a turbo? Because in a way that's what you're saying. "Oh they shouldn't make a better performance version of what we already have."
Not so sure about that since the WRX always had a turbo since it was released in America right?

The BRZ/FR-s is already a performance model. Do you mean performance ++?

Warranty smorranty...just pray you don't need it lol, Jk. I was told using royal purple voids the warranty. The only reason I care about the warranty is in case I ruin the car when I can't afford an aftermarket replacement for whatever I break. I did that with my STi. I learned a lot about cars quickly after utterly destroying my clutch
Old 11-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #94
Tcoat

Quote:
Not so sure about that since the WRX always had a turbo since it was released in America right?

The BRZ/FR-s is already a performance model. Do you mean performance ++?

Warranty smorranty...just pray you don't need it lol, Jk. I was told using royal purple voids the warranty. The only reason I care about the warranty is in case I ruin the car when I can't afford an aftermarket replacement for whatever I break. I did that with my STi. I learned a lot about cars quickly after utterly destroying my clutch
^^^^ Exactly!
The Impreza needed something to change it to a performance vehicle as it was really just a normal sedan.
Adding a turbo and all the other parts that go along with that was a relatively cheap proposal as the volume of Imprezas sold supported the upgrade.
The volume of base FRS/BRZ sold and the relatively small market for a turbo upgrade (I know I will hear "but everybody wants it") does not make it economically feasible to upgrade at the factory.
For about the 100th time I will say that adding a turbo is not just a matter of slapping one on in the plant and calling it a day. Many, many other parts would have to be upgraded so the guys that say a turbo only costs about $5K can think again.
Toyota will not take a hit just to please a crowd that would be well under 1% of their customers!
Old 11-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #95
Strife26

Quote:
^^^^ Exactly!
The Impreza needed something to change it to a performance vehicle as it was really just a normal sedan.
Adding a turbo and all the other parts that go along with that was a relatively cheap proposal as the volume of Imprezas sold supported the upgrade.
The volume of base FRS/BRZ sold and the relatively small market for a turbo upgrade (I know I will hear "but everybody wants it") does not make it economically feasible to upgrade at the factory.
For about the 100th time I will say that adding a turbo is not just a matter of slapping one on in the plant and calling it a day. Many, many other parts would have to be upgraded so the guys that say a turbo only costs about $5K can think again.
Toyota will not take a hit just to please a crowd that would be well under 1% of their customers!
Agreed! Especially with the twins. They make it sound like any tiny modification ruins everything they worked to accomplish. I think it was the...bah Idk who. Someone in charge of the design of the cars. He said adding a convertible top or sunroof would require reworking the whole car. As far as I understand it they see it as perfection on wheels. Everyone thinks it's as easy as dropping a turbo under the hood I guess. It will probably install itself too.
It also sounds like a turbo is a bad idea overall due the engine or compression, Idk. I'm barely a car guy so I don't fully understand it all.
Its an awesome car without a turbo. That really shouldn't be a reason to avoid it. Go buy a mustang if you require so much more...murica !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
Defuser (11-20-2014), Tcoat (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #96
Defuser
Remember

But, I want a turbo DIESEL in my FR-S. Shouldn't be too hard...
The Following User Says Thank You to Defuser For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #97
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuser View Post
But, I want a turbo DIESEL in my FR-S. Shouldn't be too hard...
I want mine to do this! Should be easy just some props and extra door seals, Maybe $3K or $5K tops!
Attached Images

Strife26 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #98
Tcoat

Quote:
Agreed! Especially with the twins. They make it sound like any tiny modification ruins everything they worked to accomplish. I think it was the...bah Idk who. Someone in charge of the design of the cars. He said adding a convertible top or sunroof would require reworking the whole car. As far as I understand it they see it as perfection on wheels. Everyone thinks it's as easy as dropping a turbo under the hood I guess. It will probably install itself too.
It also sounds like a turbo is a bad idea overall due the engine or compression, Idk. I'm barely a car guy so I don't fully understand it all.
Its an awesome car without a turbo. That really shouldn't be a reason to avoid it. Go buy a mustang if you require so much more...murica !
To turbo it properly there is a whole lot more that needs to be done to the engine, brakes, axles. etc.
None of this is cheap and not to rehash what has been written a dozen times already all of the changes would have to meet government standards.
Now (again repeating myself) I do not see why they could not come out with a super/turbo TRD add on and other upgrades that would not void warranty. They did it with the TC supercharger. But... of course for some people it would not be big enough, not give enough hp, use to much fuel, not sound right, smell funny, make a noise, cost too much, not increase my value enough, break too much, not be as good as the one on XXX (could go on forever but point made) so it would still not satisfy everybody.
Strife26 (11-20-2014)