follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #323
bslate3

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Congrats to Raymond Dsouza on winning STX!

This was my 5th time to SoloNats and I finally got a trophy. Never dreamed I could manage a 4th place finish in such a stacked class. It was great meeting new people and seeing old friends.

Special thanks to those that have given me setup advice and driving advice over the last 6yrs. I’ve been working really hard to improve my driving and it’s finally paying off.

Hopefully I can make more national events next year.
bslate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bslate3 For This Useful Post:
Simmons (09-22-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:13 PM   #324
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Congrats Brandon!

I was pretty crestfallen on my day 1 performance -- coned first run put me in a bad spot and couldn't make it up day 2 obv.

Great chatting with you at our workstation (this is Alex!).

My only real regret is not meeting more people in the class. Day 2 was a scramble as Jonathan's car broke before his first run, and then he decided he wanted to attempt a tire swap before his 3rd run. VERY hectic!
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #325
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah. I didn't really meet a lot of people. Some of it is that I'm not very outgoing until I get to know people, some of it was trying to be cautious about COVID, and some of it was trying to conserve energy, but I feel like I only talked to about 10 people the entire 8 days in Lincoln. I did figure out that I was in the timing trailer with Locust.

Car felt great at the Pro. I thought/hoped that Jed and I could be in the mix, but we weren't. But the car felt really good.

Didn't touch it for a few days, then had Ray take some runs in it on the test and tune course. Slight shock change and he matched the times he was running in his car. I took some runs and the car felt awful. Which is fine, because cars are supposed to feel awful there. Get on course Thursday and the car was so loose that it was barely driveable. Spin my first 2 runs, then punt cones with the rear of the car early in my 3rd run. I made big changes to settle the car between runs and it didn't seem to respond to any of them. Friday was better, but the car was pushy.

I can't be too mad, though, as between COVID and the tire shortage, I've only ran 10 weekends in the car the last 2 years. Looking forward to getting in a full year for next season and running pretty much everything within 500 miles of home + Lincoln. Also really excited that Jonathan is moving to the southeast.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #326
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadphantom View Post
Yes I did, I ran in an STS NA. It was quite an overwhelming experience, 90s cars, miata, A052 was all a little much to get the grasp on in one event to do any good on top of being in an underpowered car. I misjudged the rear width of the car and couldn't be clean, and I also realized how much easier it is to drive a STX car than a STS car, so quite a humbling experience. I will come back and appreciate my STX car even more now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Driving other platforms brings new ideas and mindset, as well as will help further adapt to issues/setup things. I try and drive other cars as much as I can. But, only happens a couple times a year during fun runs. STS Miata are fun, but the braking is a huge learning curve for me.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:01 PM   #327
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
Yeah. I didn't really meet a lot of people. Some of it is that I'm not very outgoing until I get to know people, some of it was trying to be cautious about COVID, and some of it was trying to conserve energy, but I feel like I only talked to about 10 people the entire 8 days in Lincoln. I did figure out that I was in the timing trailer with Locust.

Car felt great at the Pro. I thought/hoped that Jed and I could be in the mix, but we weren't. But the car felt really good.

Didn't touch it for a few days, then had Ray take some runs in it on the test and tune course. Slight shock change and he matched the times he was running in his car. I took some runs and the car felt awful. Which is fine, because cars are supposed to feel awful there. Get on course Thursday and the car was so loose that it was barely driveable. Spin my first 2 runs, then punt cones with the rear of the car early in my 3rd run. I made big changes to settle the car between runs and it didn't seem to respond to any of them. Friday was better, but the car was pushy.

I can't be too mad, though, as between COVID and the tire shortage, I've only ran 10 weekends in the car the last 2 years. Looking forward to getting in a full year for next season and running pretty much everything within 500 miles of home + Lincoln. Also really excited that Jonathan is moving to the southeast.
Lmao you were? Which work position were you, sorry? The whole week is a blur for me I really have no idea how I even managed a car around the course 6 times. Edit: I had a major timing fuckup so my apologies to ES.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #328
steverife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Lmao you were? Which work position were you, sorry? The whole week is a blur for me I really have no idea how I even managed a car around the course 6 times. Edit: I had a major timing fuckup so my apologies to ES.
Audit. I figured out that you were on here. But then I got really busy.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #329
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
Audit. I figured out that you were on here. But then I got really busy.
Gee I wonder why... That sucked so much I feel really bad

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

Old 09-22-2021, 10:47 PM   #330
Simmons

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
It was cool to meet some more STX people at Nats.....I have been in and out of the class a bunch over the years.

Eric Simmons

Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmons For This Useful Post:
e1_griego (09-23-2021), steverife (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #331
steverife

I have an Invidia Q300.

It is pretty much perfect as far as sound, but it is really hard to get to the rear sway bar without burning your face off. And more importantly, it constantly scrapes pulling out of parking lots.

What are some other options that are comparable as far as sound levels, but possibly more compact?
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
Kelse92 (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #332
e1_griego

I went with the CSG Touring86 to replace my Perrin. The muffler is smaller and i can easily get to the diff now whereas the Perrin wouldn't allow my small/slimmer jack to fit under there. It's got my vote for balance of sound and size.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #333
Kelse92
At the track

Drives: '14 FRS - Former e92 M3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I have an Invidia Q300.

It is pretty much perfect as far as sound, but it is really hard to get to the rear sway bar without burning your face off. And more importantly, it constantly scrapes pulling out of parking lots.

What are some other options that are comparable as far as sound levels, but possibly more compact?
I have the same and feel the same way!
Car is too quiet on the track though with my track helmet that has earmuff comms and swaybar adjustments are kinda tricky. Interested in hearing what other options would work better and not be too loud, this one came on my car when I bought it and I need to think about changing it up now.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #334
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I went with the CSG Touring86 to replace my Perrin. The muffler is smaller and i can easily get to the diff now whereas the Perrin wouldn't allow my small/slimmer jack to fit under there. It's got my vote for balance of sound and size.
How about weight?

I have a q300 and looking to change, but would love to drop some #s at the same time.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:43 PM   #335
e1_griego

It's probably not much lighter -- maybe 4-5lb I think.

I drive the car enough long distances to events that I care a lot more about sound than weight.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:55 PM   #336
Locust
Custom User Title

Quote:
I have an Invidia Q300.

I went with the Amuse R1000 and I can no longer hear. It scrapes on random things and my face melted completely off like in Indiana Jones. 10/10 would highly recommend.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
bslate3 (09-27-2021), Kelse92 (09-27-2021)