follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #1
T_Squadrito

Drives: White 2014 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question about first gear possible problem

Solved: So it turns out it was one problem leading to a few seemingly unrelated symptoms. Basically the motor mounts are just showing signs of minor wear but that minor wear and tear was enough for the engine to rock a little which was causing the acceleration to feel a little funny, and also was causing one of the exhaust pipes to bang and rub against the sub frame which is why it was making the banging and grinding sound. As for why it only happened on hills, my best guess is because the engine is angled back on a hill, it is sorta falling with the worn mounts causing the pipe to more easily press against the frame.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I probably am beating a dead horse at this point but I dont want to clutter my other thread with this question now that the problem in question on that thread is now pretty much resolved.

I am having an interesting (Problem I suppose?) with first gear. I changed my transmission fluid to Motul 300 and so far it has been the best thing I have ever done to the car besides the clutch pedal adjustment. Before someone says it was the adjustment that caused this, and you may be right, let me give context, I adjusted the clutch pedal to be exactly in line with the break pedal. I used a straight edge to insure it is in the same spot and initial tests showed no grinding. I have between 2-4cm of dead space before engagement so more than I would like still but more than enough not to be grinding I would think. I want to add that I will try dialing it back a bit more to see if that solves the problem, but given the nature of when the problem occurs I am not convinced its related.

When cold, the first and second gear are actually very smooth. Once warmed up, for probably abour 5 minutes I hit this patch of time where first gear on a slight upward incline will grind just a little even with the clutch fully up. It never happens on flat ground and never happens on down hills. Only from a complete stop on an up hill incline. RPMs are between 1000 and 1500. I figured maybe I was just getting sloppy and maybe not revving enough but higher RPMs and faster clutch draw just seem to mean faster and louder. I am not entirely sure what could be causing this. I am not getting any whirling sounds. Just a very clunky coarse sounding yet also sorta subtle grind. If you didn't drive manual you would probably think its normal. What is particularly weird, to me, like I said before, is, it happens for about a 5-10 minute patch of time, but then it goes back to working normally. I expected some possible changes and strange sounds after my fluid change so I am not immediately concerned about this but also, it seems a bit odd. The next thing is, yeah, it could be the peddle adjust ment but it is weird to me that it only happens when warm, for a short period of time, and only on an incline, then all goes back to its nice beautiful well lubricated ways.

Before I rush to concern I just want to get your thoughts. I also have not yet added the whiteline bushing inserts on the rear dif. This seems like too weird of an issue on too mundane of a task for that to really make a huge difference, but, thoughts? Could this be a rear dif thing where maybe that would help? Its not a clinking noise or clicking noise so I am not convinced it is the rear dif either and I feel it in the clutch pedal but I might be way off on my assessment.

Here is a video so you can see some of whats going on. In the first couple clips youll notice at a stand still nothing really seems to be wrong. Once we get to the last clip you can hear the problem during acceleration.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MYw...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you for your input

Last edited by T_Squadrito; 06-24-2021 at 04:56 PM.
T_Squadrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:43 PM   #2
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Just to be clear, the grind is when you are taking off not when putting the car in gear?
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
T_Squadrito (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 10:56 PM   #3
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Just to be clear, the grind is when you are taking off not when putting the car in gear?
Correct. not when I’m putting the car I. Gear. It is from about halfway up the pedal until it’s fully released and only on an uphill incline after about 30 minutes of driving and only for about 5-10 minutes and then stops and only in first from a complete stand still. if I am already rolling it’s fine.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:06 PM   #4
Turdinator
Señor Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Squadrito View Post
Correct. not when I’m putting the car I. Gear. It is from about halfway up the pedal until it’s fully released and only on an uphill incline after about 30 minutes of driving and only for about 5-10 minutes and then stops and only in first from a complete stand still. if I am already rolling it’s fine.
A clunk from the rear end isn't unusual with these cars taking off but a grind is. Can you pinpoint if its coming from the front, back or gearbox area?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:13 PM   #5
T_Squadrito

Quote:
A clunk from the rear end isn't unusual with these cars taking off but a grind is. Can you pinpoint if its coming from the front, back or gearbox area?
I can’t say for sure. It’s a somewhat unusual sound. It almost sounds like tire rub on a metal fender mixed with scraping over a speed bump. It’s not quite as loud as loud or terrifying sounding as a normal grind which is almost more terrifying. You feel a good firm rattle in the clutch pedal that I would almost compare to sliding your foot over 40 grit sandpaper if that makes sense, which is why I’m wondering if it is related to the pedal adjustment, but I have seen people go lower than I did without problems so now I’m not so sure. I am parallel with the brake pedal but I have seen people go a full 5mm lower than the brake pedal
Old 06-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #6
Turdinator
Señor Member

Garage
I'd be surprised if it was related to the pedal adjustment. Could be throw out bearing issue, could be a lack of lube on the fork pivot or the thing the bearing slides on could be a worn out friction disc. When the car isn't running and you push the clutch in and out is it smooth and quiet?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:44 PM   #7
T_Squadrito

Quote:
I'd be surprised if it was related to the pedal adjustment. Could be throw out bearing issue, could be a lack of lube on the fork pivot or the thing the bearing slides on could be a worn out friction disc. When the car isn't running and you push the clutch in and out is it smooth and quiet?
Very smooth very quiet. Also, when the car is on but in neutral I don’t have any whirling noises or whistling noises like I would imagine hearing if it was the TOB. At a stand still all seems normal for lack of a better term. I’ll upload a video tomorrow if I can recreate the issue. I’m not 100% sure it’s throw out bearing because I know a lot of people complain about that as the clutch goes in also but it’s fine going in, and in certain RPM sweet spots it’s not so bad. The friction disk wouldn’t surprise me but at the same time, if it’s a bearing or Vice versa I might as wel do all of it and hit every bird with the same stone. Idk that that is a project I want to take on now that I no longer have a garage space to work. Not the type of job you typically take on in a parking lot. If I buy a new clutch kit it will have a TOB and I can probably get a loca shop to take it on for less than $500 in labor if I bring the parts. With any luck this won’t be that dire but the sound isn’t convincing.

Last edited by T_Squadrito; 06-16-2021 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:43 AM   #8
T_Squadrito

Quote:
I am slightly hoping this isn't transmission related at all and is maybe suspension related. I just listned to a video of a wheel bearing problem and that actually sounds somewhat similar. Its almost a deep ratcheting sound that sorta starts and stops until the clutch is off and sometimes a little after. The part I dont hear is a humming or growl. I would think with a sound this bad maybe it would be growling at me but I don't hear it. A friend of mine who was in the car with me once when it happened said he heard it from the wheel and thought it was scraping. Is it possible that this only happens when accelerating from a stop on a hill?
Old 06-16-2021, 01:52 AM   #9
Turdinator
Señor Member

Garage
Quote:
I am slightly hoping this isn't transmission related at all and is maybe suspension related. I just listned to a video of a wheel bearing problem and that actually sounds somewhat similar. Its almost a deep ratcheting sound that sorta starts and stops until the clutch is off and sometimes a little after. The part I dont hear is a humming or growl. I would think with a sound this bad maybe it would be growling at me but I don't hear it. A friend of mine who was in the car with me once when it happened said he heard it from the wheel and thought it was scraping. Is it possible that this only happens when accelerating from a stop on a hill?
Have you replaced any suspension bushes with urethane?
Old 06-16-2021, 01:59 AM   #10
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Have you replaced any suspension bushes with urethane?
I havent touched it yet. Car is only a few months in my hands now. Car drove fine on the test drive and had no outstanding mechanical issues that could be identified at the time. I just read someone else say their transmission mount was lose and was rattling between 0-5mph which is exactly where I am at. Another person had what they described exactly as me and they said motor mounts. Another said suspension from pot hole (I avoid them like the plague but who knows what the last owner did. It seems fine outside of 0-5mph). I know white line makes the suspension bushings and I was recommended to do those and the rear dif and replace the transmission mount as more of a driving experience enhancement.

I don't know what this would sound like but I see a lot of other people saying break pads which I havn't yet and REALLY need to do. I am curious if that could be it. I may do that this weekend just to get it out of the way anyway and with any luck maybe thats it but I am genuinely not convinced.

This is the exact sound but a little deepr and only when the car is moving and between 0 and 5 mph

He thought it was the belt tensioner and my tensioner pully does rattle a lot. I will get video of all my stuff tomorrow.

Last edited by T_Squadrito; 06-16-2021 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:14 AM   #11
Turdinator
Señor Member

Garage
Quote:
I havent touched it yet. Car is only a few months in my hands now. Car drove fine on the test drive and had no outstanding mechanical issues that could be identified at the time. I just read someone else say their transmission mount was lose and was rattling between 0-5mph which is exactly where I am at. Another person had what they described exactly as me and they said motor mounts. Another said suspension from pot hole (I avoid them like the plague but who knows what the last owner did. It seems fine outside of 0-5mph). I know white line makes the suspension bushings and I was recommended to do those and the rear dif and replace the transmission mount as more of a driving experience enhancement.

I don't know what this would sound like but I see a lot of other people saying break pads which I havn't yet and REALLY need to do. I am curious if that could be it. I may do that this weekend just to get it out of the way anyway and with any luck maybe thats it but I am genuinely not convinced.

This is the exact sound but a little deepr and only when the car is moving and between 0 and 5 mph

He thought it was the belt tensioner and my tensioner pully does rattle a lot. I will get video of all my stuff tomorrow.
Urethane bushes can make a squeaky groaning sound if not lubed correctly.

If its a rattle it could be all sorts of things. I think you may need to get a recording of the sound or take it to someone to check.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:17 AM   #12
T_Squadrito

Quote:

If its a rattle it could be all sorts of things. I think you may need to get a recording of the sound or take it to someone to check.
Ill do both. Ill get a few good recording tomorrow if I can replicate the problem. One of the mechanics I go to only works on BMWs but makes an exception for fluids and basic servicing. I may ask them to take a look because I know they arent going to BS me into a $1200 repair I don't need because they wouldn't do it anyway.

This thread also covers the issue almost to a T. I havent tried accellorating from a stop in second while turning the wheel yet though. Ill try everything tomorrow and get video of all of it. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116718
The Following User Says Thank You to T_Squadrito For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 02:30 AM   #13
T_Squadrito

I just learned that the mounts on the downpipe on the FRS and BRZ and 86 apparently historically get lose and I just listened to it and Im like..... oooooohhhhhhhh.... when I get my car up to do brakes ill take a look at that too. Might just need to tighten something.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
T_Squadrito

Quote:

Here is a few videos I composited together so you can see and listen to everything. In the last clip you will hear it during accelloration. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MYw...ew?usp=sharing