follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
slawdio
ON SALE

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
The reason for this feature is because the glass goes up under the frame of the window in the car, so disabling it would mean you couldn't open or close the door without breaking the window. (But you know this.)

As far as the window seal problem, I've felt mine and it feels like the seal itself has become loosened in the area of the issue. Not sure if it is a result or the cause, but if you feel the full length of the window seal, for the most part it feels like the center of it is either glued or perhaps stuck into a groove in the metal, and in the problem area it isn't anymore. Anybody else notice this, or maybe you could go check yours and report back here?
I'm not sure it actually goes Up-and-into the frame. If it does, how will you open the door if the battery dies?
slawdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
TennisHsu

Drives: 2013 Whiteout MT Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by siXXtoes View Post
My seal has been hit or miss when the window goes up. I have noticed after i wash my car i have condensation between the inside of the windy and the seal. Anyone else have the issue?
The seal gasket acts as a double seal (one on the inside of the glass, and one on the outside), condensation in between means moisture has made it past the outer layer. As long as the condensation stops at the inner seal, your car is still protected.
TennisHsu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TennisHsu For This Useful Post:
siXXtoes (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #31
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Did a hand wash w/ lather and I noticed some of the lather seeped between the window and the rubber 'seal'
Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #32
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
The reason for this feature is because the glass goes up under the frame of the window in the car, so disabling it would mean you couldn't open or close the door without breaking the window. (But you know this.)

As far as the window seal problem, I've felt mine and it feels like the seal itself has become loosened in the area of the issue. Not sure if it is a result or the cause, but if you feel the full length of the window seal, for the most part it feels like the center of it is either glued or perhaps stuck into a groove in the metal, and in the problem area it isn't anymore. Anybody else notice this, or maybe you could go check yours and report back here?
Umm, I think you might be mistaken on that. That feature is there to avoid the cabin pressure associated with that type of enclosure and closing the door. Additionally it also reduces stress to the window coming into contact with the rubber gasket when being closed/slammed.
The window does not go into anything. It simply rests on top of the rubber gasket with a little pressure to ensure a proper seal.
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #33
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitJerk View Post
Umm, I think you might be mistaken on that. That feature is there to avoid the cabin pressure associated with that type of enclosure and closing the door. Additionally it also reduces stress to the window coming into contact with the rubber gasket when being closed/slammed.
The window does not go into anything. It simply rests on top of the rubber gasket with a little pressure to ensure a proper seal.
Actually I'm pretty sure it does, there is at least the hard plastic lip that it goes into for sure. But you are right about the pressure reduction aspect of it as well. The glass definitely goes up inside the black plastic a bit when it closes. I just went to double-check my car and you can see the top of the glass, barely. It might allow you to open the door, but it will be VERY close, if it doesn't actually scrape the plastic in the process. I sure as hell wouldn't want to close the door with the window all the way up, that's for sure. Not trying to start an argument and I apologize if my previous posts may have come across a little harsh.

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal

Last edited by Moshpit37; 08-24-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Double-checked my facts and don't want to sound like a douche.
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #34
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

No worries Mosh, I'll have to take a closer look. Just been busy and the car's been garaged since I made that last post.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #35
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

I stand corrected. Boy do I feel like a knucklehead. Sorry for the misinformation. SMH
Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #36
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

I should say thanks too! Lol
Old 08-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #37
jakev9041

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

The reason that this feature is on the car is actually weight savings and passenger comfort. First, cars are so air tight now that you need a system for letting air pressure equalize instantly when closing doors, this is done in most cars with a flapping vent called different things by different folks but typically an air extractor, equalizer etc. (pictured). In many sports cars where weight and/or space/packaging issues are a concern this window partial open system is used instead. I am having the same problem with my BRZ and I expect it to be corrected by changing the angle of the window just slightly which requires taking apart the door, so I will have the dealer do it.

Also, as a note: You could open and close the door with the window fully up, I have done it with the battery disconnected, it is harder to open and it kills your ears due to the pressure, but it will not break anything.
Attached Images

Last edited by jakev9041; 08-29-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the technical details!
jakev9041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I just took my FR-S in to the local dealership to have a rock chip in the windshield repaired, and I mentioned this issue to them as well, and they are going to replace the seal entirely. Didn't sound like it would be too long of a wait, they said the part should be in in less than a week. They are going to let Toyota HQ know about it as well.

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #39
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I Have the same thing, only on driver side. Doesn't bother me as long as there are no leaks and the seal doesn't break down. I will report it to the dealer when they change the oil just to be safe.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #40
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
What happens when you have a completely dead battery? Like left at the airport for 3 weeks with the interior light on DEAD.
nm, someone answered above.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #41
DSTL

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Add another, I have this now too. Right along the area where it is most curved, seal folds under when rolling up.
DSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #42
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTL View Post
Add another, I have this now too. Right along the area where it is most curved, seal folds under when rolling up.
I have the same issue, exactly as you described. Definitely on drivers side...I'll have to check the passenger side.
sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote