follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where can I get new header gaskets for cheap?

Only place I know of to get them ships to Texas for 60 bucks. Seems kind of high for what I assume are rubber rings (never done exhaust work before). Asking because I'm going to be installing OFH soon and don't want to reuse gaskets.

Link to DIY guide would also be appreciated.

Thanks
MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Not sure if serious.

Use OEM gaskets, your local dealer will suffice. If they are too expensive, order online or through another dealer.

Job done.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
Not sure if serious.

Use OEM gaskets, your local dealer will suffice. If they are too expensive, order online or through another dealer.

Job done.
Yeah, I planned on OEM, so it was kind of a stupid question. It's probably silly but I worry about talking to the dealership about parts like that because the car is still under warranty. I thought maybe I could order online from somewhere and leave them out of it. I'll just call the dealership and if they start asking for VIN numbers I'll tell them it's for a friend... or just panic and hang up
Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
Yeah, I planned on OEM, so it was kind of a stupid question. It's probably silly but I worry about talking to the dealership about parts like that because the car is still under warranty. I thought maybe I could order online from somewhere and leave them out of it. I'll just call the dealership and if they start asking for VIN numbers I'll tell them it's for a friend... or just panic and hang up
It's just a car part, why would they need the VIN? Besides, what do you think they're going to do deny a warranty claim because you purchased an OEM gasket..?
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think you're overthinking it a bit sir. For all they know you just developed a leak and want to rectify it yourself.

Just call them up and ask
Old 02-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
You can use grimspeed gaskets as well. Thicker than OEM which may help with sealing up slightly uneven flanges
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #7
MikeM7

Yes, I'm being unreasonably paranoid. I'll just call the dealership. Sorry for the stupid question.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
MikeM7

So I just wanted to follow up on this. It seemed like a really stupid question at first, but it turns out I was right all along. The dealership has been a PIA.

1st Call - Seemed to go well. She did immediately ask for my VIN number, but I told her I didn't have it and we proceeded. She asked me what I needed, looked it up, and told me there were 5 exhaust gaskets. I said alright put me down for 1 of each. Easy enough.

2nd Call - I'd forgotten about the order and called 2 weeks later to make sure they had it so I could come pick them up. She had no record that I had placed an order (not sure if it was the same girl) and asked if I'd gotten an order number. I told her not that I know of but I'd check my email and voice mails and call back.

3rd Call - This guy was the worst. I went through what happened and asked if he could just search one more time to see if he can find it. I was trying to just verify that there was nothing in the system before starting over, but during the process he kind of freaked out and was like "look man I'm tryin to help you but there's nothin there I'm tellin you!" and I had to wait through a long diatribe of explaining that we have to start over, when that's what i was trying to say when he cut me off to begin with...

So we start the order over, and this time he INSISTS that he needs my VIN number. He also suggests that I come to the dealership, but is adamant that he can't create the account without at least the last 8 of VIN. I reluctantly agree just to get this over with, go out to my car, and the bottom half of the numbers aren't visible. So after giving him the vin through trial and error, he finally pulls up the diagram and is absolutely befuddled.

"Well which one do you want?? I see this one hear goin into this pipe here.. and then that goes over to this pipe right here.. and then that goes into what I guess you're calling a "header".. and then that's got like two of these things right here." I was just like ok.. so how many are there total? "5" Ok, so order me 5 of them. That's what I asked for the last time. "Are you sure? I really think you should come in with your car so we can make sure. I'd rather you looked at the diagram." Just give me the part numbers...

So.. in defense of this seemingly silly thread, this is why I just wanted someone to give me a link so I can just order them online and have them delivered to my doorstep.

Exhaust Gasket Part Numbers:
44011AG000 (2)
44022AA123 (1)
44011AC030 (2)

I'm just going to order them online...
Old 03-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
First off, do the research so you know what you actually need.
You only need 3 gaskets for the header. 2 mate between header and block, the other goes from header to over pipe.

Just walk in to your dealer, go to the parts counter and tell them you need the exhaust manifold gaskets. If you say header, some people have no idea what you're taking about.
You 100% do not need the vin. Don't even say it's for your own car if that helps you. I've walked into 2 different Subaru dealerships here to get the gaskets without any issues.
2 of the gaskets are the same, the 3rd is different.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
YouShallKnow

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to YouShallKnow Send a message via AIM to YouShallKnow Send a message via Yahoo to YouShallKnow
Do you feel comfortable installing the header? I imagine it's going to be harder than ordering gaskets.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
First off, do the research so you know what you actually need.
You only need 3 gaskets for the header. 2 mate between header and block, the other goes from header to over pipe.

Just walk in to your dealer, go to the parts counter and tell them you need the exhaust manifold gaskets. If you say header, some people have no idea what you're taking about.
You 100% do not need the vin. Don't even say it's for your own car if that helps you. I've walked into 2 different Subaru dealerships here to get the gaskets without any issues.
2 of the gaskets are the same, the 3rd is different.
Yeah, I know I only need 3 gaskets for the header. I'm installing catback also...

I don't particularly want to drive to the other side of town twice to pay more for something I can have delivered to my doorstep without having to talk to any aggravating people.

Edit: I didn't realize I hadn't mentioned the exhaust yet, my bad.

Last edited by MikeM7; 03-14-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouShallKnow View Post
Do you feel comfortable installing the header? I imagine it's going to be harder than ordering gaskets.
Not really but I'm going to do it anyway. I've managed to do everything else so far with nothing but DIY's and youtube videos. I have help on standby if I need it, but yeah, I'm going to do as much as I can by myself. It looks like it's just taking out a bunch of pushpins and bolts and then putting them back on.

I'm mostly just irritated at that last conversation with the dealership.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #13
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Only place I know of to get them ships to Texas for 60 bucks. Seems kind of high for what I assume are rubber rings (never done exhaust work before). Asking because I'm going to be installing OFH soon and don't want to reuse gaskets.

Link to DIY guide would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Wow. I can't believe everyone overlooked this! When you buy the OFH you have the option to add gaskets to the order. Just buy them when you buy the OFH. They cost a bit more because they are the good stainless steel ones. The other, fiber sandwich, gaskets are the wooooooorst. The exhaust nuts aren't supposed to be torqued very tight, so the cheap fiber gaskets leak. I know, I've used them before. It sounded like an old lawnmower with a rusted-out muffler, every time I gave it the throttle.

If you do this yourself, it is easy, but time-consuming. Just be sure to start up your car while it's still on jack-stands, warm it up to normal operating temperature, shut it off, walk away and make a sandwich or something. Then when it's cooled off, loosen and re-torque the header-to-engine nuts to the proper torque, and they should give you years of trouble-free service.

KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
MikeM7 (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #14
MikeM7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Wow. I can't believe everyone overlooked this! When you buy the OFH you have the option to add gaskets to the order. Just buy them when you buy the OFH.
I bought my OFH new for $575 shipped from a member on the forum that hadn't installed it, it didn't come with gaskets. I didn't order from OFT website and I had a hunch they were overpriced there, plus shipping is a little high.

I can get all 5 for about the same price as just the OFT header gaskets from http://subaruparts.com/

Although even with the part numbers it's still a little confusing because you get 6 different results. I think they are all the same part, just labeled differently.