follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2023, 03:52 PM   #1
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Tire Sidewall Damage

Just looking to gain a little knowledge here.

2018 BRZ. Got new wheels and tires at 8K mi. General G-Max AS-05
Now at 56K mi.
Alignment: -1.5F L&R, -1.7R L&R, 0 toe front, 1/8 toe rear.

Driving to work today and felt something off on acceleration and deceleration. Car would pull in one direction during accel. and the other during decel. I figured it was a low pressure tire and that I would fix the issue by filling up when getting to work. Problem worsened until I felt it quite a bit so I pulled over and saw the tires was near flat. Popped on the spare and went home. Attaching pics of what the tire looked like.

Just looking for thoughts on wear and damage of the tire.

- I see people often about low camber barely showing tire wear differences over long periods of time. This is my experience after 48K miles. But that is to be expected, especially because for me, that's probably about 80% highway miles.

- 50K is tire life expectancy, so I'm definitely nearly there. Didn't mean to drive on them this long, for some reason in my head I was thinking I was only nearing 40K miles on these tires. Never saw a tire tear like that before, but there's always a first. Is that likely due to age or alignment, or crap tire, or could be many things combined?
Attached Images

Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 03:54 PM   #2
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
That's a typical run-flat condition.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (04-26-2023), Dzmitry (05-03-2023), Opie (04-25-2023), SCFD (05-10-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 03:57 PM   #3
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
What is the age of the tire? Was this a front or rear tire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 04:13 PM   #4
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
That's a typical run-flat condition.
This....and the wear is likely due to the toe setting, not the camber....
Dzmitry (05-03-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 07:11 PM   #5
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
How long did you drive it with suspected low pressure? By your description it sounds like it might have been quite a way, which could certainly cause this sidewall damage. Might have been a flat from any number of reasons.
Ohio Enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (05-03-2023), strat61caster (04-29-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 07:19 PM   #6
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Not running TPMS I take it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (05-03-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 10:09 AM   #7
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
How long did you drive it with suspected low pressure? By your description it sounds like it might have been quite a way, which could certainly cause this sidewall damage. Might have been a flat from any number of reasons.
My thought too, as was mentioned by others too. The tire was really low/flat and the wheel chewed away the edge of the tire as the car was driven.

One thing I've noticed with high load-rated performance tires is how you have very few visual indicators of low pressure until it's totally flat. The stiff sidewalls hide a lot. If you aren't checking pressures regularly it can sneak up on you. I don't have a lot of faith in the TPMS giving me an appropriate warning based on history with several different cars.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:52 PM   #8
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
IMO, it was probably a road event that was punctured and just deflated "too quickly". Had that happen on my other car. When I stopped (when indicator lit up) and didn't immediately see any damage (had no tire gauge with me), I kept driving to my house ) I was nearby). Since it was the rear tire that was affected, it met a quicker death going uphill. In the end, it left had less damage than your tire but the inner structure was already affected. All this happened in maybe 10 minute timeframe. After all, this older car only notices differences in tire rotation speeds (doesn't give psi). Therefore, it was likely at less than 30psi when I parked to inspect.
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 03:45 AM   #9
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
TPMS check usually happens once every 25 miles approximately, with the pressure level trigger being 29 psi and under. Should be plenty of time to catch something unless it was a pretty sizeable leak.

Continuing to drive on an fault indicator is asking for trouble
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:05 PM   #10
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
TPMS check usually happens once every 25 miles approximately, with the pressure level trigger being 29 psi and under. Should be plenty of time to catch something unless it was a pretty sizeable leak.

Continuing to drive on an fault indicator is asking for trouble
that only works if the tpms is fully functional.

my sensors leapt into a ziplock bag 3 tire changes ago and got replaced with good old rubber valve cores.
Dzmitry (05-03-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 02:46 PM   #11
lapsio

Drives: 2020 BRZ Final Edition, 1999 MX5 NB
Imho it's tire pressure. I had two tires explode on me exactly like this and in both cases it was because I kept driving on low pressure. You probably lost some pressure for whatever reason and tire overheated tremendously because of low pressure, resulting in sidewall explosion. Quite typical.
lapsio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lapsio For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (05-03-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 09:41 PM   #12
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
that only works if the tpms is fully functional.

my sensors leapt into a ziplock bag 3 tire changes ago and got replaced with good old rubber valve cores.
TPMS leaping into ziplock bag. Sounds like they are fully functional, sentient even
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
CaptainFenderbaum (05-11-2023), Dzmitry (05-03-2023), soundman98 (04-30-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 03:33 PM   #13
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Garage
Have been away so I haven't had a chance to catch up on comments.

These are not run-flat tires from looking at the specs. I've had the tires for about 3-4 years. 50K miles on them. This one was the rear.

I don't have TPMS sensors on these aftermarket wheels since I've got them along with the tires. But funny enough, not long before this happened, I actually bought some. So once these tires are replaced, I'll be putting the TPMS sensors on.

Everything was good up until that morning that it happened. I typically pay attention to my tires and the pressures have been good. I'd say I last filled them to 38 psi about a month or two before the incident. That morning I was driving, I noticed right away something odd. As I mentioned above, accelerating would veer one way and letting go of the pedal would veer the other way. But this was quite subtle at the beginning of the drive. But still easily noticeable since the car has always drove perfectly straight with good alignment. I drove like that for 25 miles before swapping. It started to feel worse as I was getting on and off a couple exits, but the veering was only obvious when I pressed or let go of the gas pedal. Once I was cruising on the highway, I couldn't really tell, there wasn't a wobble or much of a sound that I recall. Once I had to slow down for traffic and then get going again, that's where I REALLY started to feel it and instantly pulled over.

I have mixed feelings about TPMS doing much other than allowing you to keep track of pressures over long periods of times. In a situation like this, TPMS or not, I was heading to work. So the hope was to make it or change to a spare and go home. I can quickly feel the change of a low pressure tire, don't need TPMS to tell me that. In this case, it was extra obvious. I do my own pressure checking every few months. And I'm always peeking over at the tires when I'm filling up gas. So I'd notice if something is off. In this case, I'm sure if I checked, I would have noticed. But TPMS light wouldn't have stopped me from going to work. Though it probably would have made me stop at a Wawa near home to fill up the tires, so maybe I would have noticed. But with this tear, it's just odd, and it being on the inside made it hard to notice or realize anything.

It's just interesting to me seeing a tire tear like that, it's a first for me. I guess the low pressures or old age caused a crack somewhere on the side and then that crack continued to expand and tear?

Thanks all for the feedback! Glad the wheel didn't take damage as that would have sucked.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:26 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post

It's just interesting to me seeing a tire tear like that, it's a first for me. I guess the low pressures or old age caused a crack somewhere on the side and then that crack continued to expand and tear?
The sidewall is not designed to support the weight of the car without the accompanying volume of pressurised air.