follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
Jmk91

Drives: 2017 Brz Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front pipe/over pipe question

So I’m looking to get JDL front pipe/over pipe combo. I’m not sure what size to get it in. I have a jdl header and a greddy sp 2.5 cat back. Eventually I do plan on going FI. Should I get the 2.5 or get the 3 inch piping?
Jmk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If you're going supercharger just go 2.5 or if turbo it depends in my opinion. Maperformance turbo kit uses a 2.5 diameter downpipe. Ptuning turbo kit uses factory or aftermarket header.

Also while you're NA 2.5 all the way back will be more give more low end torque.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
Jmk91 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
If you're going supercharger just go 2.5 or if turbo it depends in my opinion. Maperformance turbo kit uses a 2.5 diameter downpipe. Ptuning turbo kit uses factory or aftermarket header.

Also while you're NA 2.5 all the way back will be more give more low end torque.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Is that true?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeader View Post
As with most all NA cars, the more you open the exhaust, the more low end torque you lose. Exhaust back pressure helps scavenging, which is why going to a less restrictive, wider exhaust pipe in an NA car (from the 2.25 factory to a full 2.5 with no cats, resonators, and all straight through mufflers) will gut your low end but give you a much better top end.
It IS odd that you can feel it after a single piece, but not impossible. Rumor has it that it takes a 10hp/10 ft-lb change to be noticed, but I've never tried it.
Funny this guy said the exact opposite. But that aside I think most agree and from what I know about exhaust, you tend to shift the band up a little at the expense of low end torque in NA vehicles big V8s included. but to be honest overpipe/frontpipe alone will not show you much if any change because of stock hdrs and stock tune. I've got tomei hdr, overpipe, AVO high flow catted front pipe, borla catback (2.5 all the way).. You wanta know what difference I can feel the most ? The tune! (notice not listed in the names of cool exhaust pieces) Then the headers.. the rest is just really sound and future setup for not to distant FI install. (I hope) Get the tune .. first. Piece the rest if need be to budget, hdrs first if you're gonna do those.. otherwise get a cat or axle back exhaust you want and move on and leave the rest.
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:54 PM   #4
Jmk91

Drives: 2017 Brz Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKITA View Post
Is that true?!?!

Funny this guy said the exact opposite. But that aside I think most agree and from what I know about exhaust, you tend to shift the band up a little at the expense of low end torque in NA vehicles big V8s included. but to be honest overpipe/frontpipe alone will not show you much if any change because of stock hdrs and stock tune. I've got tomei hdr, overpipe, AVO high flow catted front pipe, borla catback (2.5 all the way).. You wanta know what difference I can feel the most ? The tune! (notice not listed in the names of cool exhaust pieces) Then the headers.. the rest is just really sound and future setup for not to distant FI install. (I hope) Get the tune .. first. Piece the rest if need be to budget, hdrs first if you're gonna do those.. otherwise get a cat or axle back exhaust you want and move on and leave the rest.

Yeah I have a tune, I’ve had one for a long time haha. I did the basic oft tune than I paid steve99 for a better tune. I was just wondering for my exhaust what route to go. Last thing I want to do later on is rebuy. I’d rather do it once and call it a day. That’s why I use quality products. I’d rather pay the premium than save a few to spend a lot more later on. As stated I already have headers and a cat back. Was just wondering for front/Op.
Jmk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmk91 View Post
Yeah I have a tune, I’ve had one for a long time haha. I did the basic oft tune than I paid steve99 for a better tune. I was just wondering for my exhaust what route to go. Last thing I want to do later on is rebuy. I’d rather do it once and call it a day. That’s why I use quality products. I’d rather pay the premium than save a few to spend a lot more later on. As stated I already have headers and a cat back. Was just wondering for front/Op.
like already mentioned.. performance not that noticeable for me.. better tune like Steve's maybe but probably not .. might save some weight as well.. sound will change for sure
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
anyway VVT can help recovering a bit of low end torque if going large with exhaust pipes diameter, by reducing overlap between valves
tomm.brz is online now   Reply With Quote