follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #393
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
I've been daily driving e85 at this power level for 4 years and over 100k miles now. Vortech 3.48 pulley at like 8.5 psi max. High hp low torque. The blower doesn't come alive until 4k rpm, but if i'm banging through gears, I don't see below 4k. The stress on the motor down low is not that big of a difference than stock. Everyone scoffs at the vortech's torque when in reality it's the SC kit that makes the highest hp with the lowest boost pressure.
Actually, the Rotrex kits make more than that pound for pound, on E85, as does the Edelbrock/Harrop.

Here's an edelbrock kit on the standard (CARB) pulley which makes a *maximum* of 9 psi, with a Delicious flex fuel kit. Stock header, stock front pipe.

The Vortech was better than the Innovate kit (which was first to market), but has been surpassed by the kits released afterwards.

To put it in perspective, I make more power at 5.5 psi boost at peak power, on ethanol (300whp), with my GReddy turbo kit.

That all being said, lower torque, and lower power, means less stress, and a high probability of more reliability.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Cal3000 (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 11:21 PM   #394
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Actually, the Rotrex kits make more than that pound for pound, on E85, as does the Edelbrock/Harrop.

Here's an edelbrock kit on the standard (CARB) pulley which makes a *maximum* of 9 psi, with a Delicious flex fuel kit. Stock header, stock front pipe.

The Vortech was better than the Innovate kit (which was first to market), but has been surpassed by the kits released afterwards.

To put it in perspective, I make more power at 5.5 psi boost at peak power, on ethanol (300whp), with my GReddy turbo kit.

That all being said, lower torque, and lower power, means less stress, and a high probability of more reliability.
Oh wow nice. That's pretty high for a dyno dynamics. How is calibrated? Baseline? I have a FBO (minus intercooler) Evo that made 281whp on a Dyno Dynamics. 350whp on that dyno is like 420whp on a dynojet.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:44 PM   #395
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
Oh wow nice. That's pretty high for a dyno dynamics. How is calibrated? Baseline? I have a FBO (minus intercooler) Evo that made 281whp on a Dyno Dynamics. 350whp on that dyno is like 420whp on a dynojet.
Here's how my personal car dynos. Bottom line is stock 2017.

CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (03-28-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 11:56 PM   #396
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I constantly hear this convention batted around that low end torque is what breaks/bends rods or that the 'hit' of a turbo down low does it.

That makes zero sense from a physics standpoint. Every two engine revolutions any given rod will go from almost no load to full load on the power stroke. No matter how fast your turbo hits it can't cause a delta faster than that. I also don't see how having higher torque down low could be worse than having it up high.

Someone explain why I'm wrong.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:28 AM   #397
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
I constantly hear this convention batted around that low end torque is what breaks/bends rods or that the 'hit' of a turbo down low does it.

That makes zero sense from a physics standpoint. Every two engine revolutions any given rod will go from almost no load to full load on the power stroke. No matter how fast your turbo hits it can't cause a delta faster than that. I also don't see how having higher torque down low could be worse than having it up high.

My understanding is it isn't necessarily where the torque comes in that is the issue. It has to do with engine load.

The theory *from my understanding* is that high torque combined with high load at low RPM is going to have a higher chance of breaking/bending a rod than if you are at a higher RPM since engine load is typically lower at higher RPM
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:00 AM   #398
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Its the inertia on the rotating parts. If you cut fuel the engine keeps spinning due to inertia right? so when you are WOT the intertia pulling the piston down, helps relieve some of the stress put through the rods. The effect is stronger as you go up in revs due to more inertia in the rotation parts.

Think of a merry go round at a play park. When its spinning slowly you can push really hard, but as it builds speed the inertia makes it harder for you to push it as its already moving.

The effect is nothing like as strong as people like to make out though, and we still see plenty of cars with centrifugal supercharges blowing rods once they go much past 280whp.
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #399
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
This is a great way of saying it. Low rpm's and high load are an awful combination for boosted vehicles. If you go over to nasioc you'll see tons of people say number one about an STI is to never floor it at low rpms in 5th or 6th because that is where most issues occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc209 View Post
Its the inertia on the rotating parts. If you cut fuel the engine keeps spinning due to inertia right? so when you are WOT the intertia pulling the piston down, helps relieve some of the stress put through the rods. The effect is stronger as you go up in revs due to more inertia in the rotation parts.

Think of a merry go round at a play park. When its spinning slowly you can push really hard, but as it builds speed the inertia makes it harder for you to push it as its already moving.

The effect is nothing like as strong as people like to make out though, and we still see plenty of cars with centrifugal supercharges blowing rods once they go much past 280whp.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #400
toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
This is a great way of saying it. Low rpm's and high load are an awful combination for boosted vehicles. If you go over to nasioc you'll see tons of people say number one about an STI is to never floor it at low rpms in 5th or 6th because that is where most issues occur.
You have issues on turbo charged cars because you get boost spiking when the load is very high.

Quote:

If the inertia of the crankshaft pulling the piston down relieves some of the compression force in the rod you are effectively saying that the net force on the rod is lower. If the net force on the rod is lower the net force on the crankshaft is lower. If the net force on the crankshaft is lower you would measure less torque on a dyno. This does happen and it is why most NA motors do not generate max torque near redline. When you stuff more and more air in as rpms rise you can create this (ie centrifugal supercharger).

Second paragraph, no. If a machine can generate 100 lbs of force it does so regardless of how fast it is applied. You have a tougher time pushing a faster moving wheel because of timing issues and the fact that your are not a machine; if you were mechanically constrained to the rotating system and your 100 pounds of force did not require a ramp-up time like muscles do your force would always be applied at the correct time and you would generate the same amount of rotational acceleration.

If the above argument is correct it really comes down to how long the maximum compression force is applied to the rod. If that is the case and someone can point me to a reference I would be happy. I would think from a materials standpoint it would be the opposite; if maximum torque occurs at higher rpm the transition from compression to tension would lead to work fatigue faster.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #401
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Are you talking about in general or just with the FA motor? I think there are a lot of misconceptions about mode of failure. But most of the threads I have seen about blown FI motors, SC or turbo, are from setups that were running in the upper threshold of what the stock internals could take.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #402
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
The inertia effect is real. Also check out my post on oil pressure about halfway up the previous page

Last edited by gtengr; 03-29-2018 at 12:27 PM.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #403
toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Are you talking about in general or just with the FA motor? I think there are a lot of misconceptions about mode of failure. But most of the threads I have seen about blown FI motors, SC or turbo, are from setups that were running in the upper threshold of what the stock internals could take.
Yes. My point is that if your stock motor is generating 250 ftlbs of torque is is no less likely to snap a rod if you make that torque at 3500 rpm or if you make that torque at 6500 rpm. There is some form of conventional wisdom on this site that seems to point to the opposite and I would think that is false from a purely physics-based approach.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #404
toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
check my post on oil pressure about halfway up the previous page
I missed that. Thank you, that is the first post I've seen on this topic that actually makes a valid point.

Is oil pressure really a full function of rpm? There is no relief valve at some point? What is the maximum oil pressure in this motor and at what rpm do we reach that
Old 03-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #405
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I missed that. Thank you, that is the first post I've seen on this topic that actually makes a valid point.

Is oil pressure really a full function of rpm? There is no relief valve at some point? What is the maximum oil pressure in this motor and at what rpm do we reach that
Yes, oil pump is a driven part. Don't know the answer to the rest, except that it is on the low side.

This is one of the reasons I am leaning toward SC over turbo, that and engine bay heat.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #406
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:

I don't have gauges yet, but here is some data (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76760). Pressure is still building towards the max between 2000-4000 rpms.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kill brain cells, not facts