follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2014, 03:43 AM   #29
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight23 View Post
it's amazing they are still in business
well they have ridiculous sales for phones and price match even amazon.

I bought my dad the galaxy s4 for 50 bucks about 4 months ago over there. closest was Walmart at 100 bucks.

'14 Firestorm FRS
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #30
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin_az View Post
With that said its not price that keeps people shopping at Best Buy. Sure that’s a factor but that’s not the whole picture. Best Buy is still in business for several reasons. #1 (IMO) is because of their employees. If you go to purchase something, they will knowledgeable, courteous, polite, and not pushy to sell. Even if the person tells you up front they have no intent on buying, still provide them as much info as you can. The employees are also trained to identify what kind of customer a person is and will try to sell them biased on that category (if they are single or have a family just as an example).

Anyone remember Circuit City?
ROFL! I know you said IMO but uh, yeah, not quite. There are, of course, exceptions to that rule. But for the most part the floor staff are a bunch of kids or people that just want a job and want the day to go by so they can get paid. I was offered a job at Best Buy twice but stayed on at Circuit City instead until the very end. Let me tell you something about Circuit City... I've worked at three of their locations and helped open a fourth store. In the 90s up until about 2002 or so they were a great company. Floor staff made commission, people loved their jobs, and everyone knew their shit because we were trained well. Then they mixed up corporate, cut commission out completely, and fired their best employees because they made too much money. Thus, the start of a downward spiral. We weren't trained as well. They started hiring warm bodies to put in place and push extra shit that customers didn't need. We were constantly harassed to sell more, sell more, why didn't you hit your warranty goal for the week?! You're going to be fired if you don't keep those goddamn numbers up!

Ok so I'm ranting now. Anyway, the point is that no, Best Buy is in a similar situation. As far as I can tell they're trying to slowly improve, and I've seen a handful of the things Circuit City started trying to implement to turn the business around (but it was too little too late for CC) trickling out onto the Best Buy floor. Good for them if they don't want to go out of business. However I've also seen employees blatantly spew misinformation, obviously have no idea and just make something up to satisfy, or straight up lie to customers just to make a sale. I hate to be "that asshole customer" but there have been at least two occasions where I've corrected them in front of the customer, because fuck you no, you don't just take advantage of people like that so you can pad numbers. Having said that, like I said there are exceptions to that rule and there are employees out there that know a little (or maybe a lot) about what they're talking about and genuinely want to get the customer out the door, happy, with a great solution. But those are few and far between.

I don't want to make it sound like I hate Best Buy. I really don't. I've probably spent about 25 grand there on corporate purchases in the past year because they're convenient, and up until he went off to greener pastures my business account rep was awesome at his job. And I do a lot of my own shopping there for instant gratification (except Costco for TVs, because fuck yeah Costco.) But that's because they'll price match. If all of a sudden they started wanting to charge more for everything, yeah they'd probably just turn into another showroom to me.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
draggin_az (06-19-2014)