follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2020, 12:56 AM   #15
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
When I did my clutch it was almost flush till half an inch.
I tried everything. What I eventually did was put in the bolts and slowly and evenly tightened them like lug nuts.

Sure enough it sat flush. Zero problems afterwards.

Tried that, but it felt we were about the break the bolts. Did not want to sit flush no matter what we tried. But maybe we’ll try again tomorrow morning if it comes it. Cheers
airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
Tonrogs

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Double check your new clutch disk is correct for the spline on the transmission. You will have to remove the clutch to do that. See if it slips on.
Did you replace the pilot bearing? Did you double check fitment prior to trying to assemble everything?
If all are correct, make sure when reassembling that you use the tool to center the disk.
Double check your alignment pins are in place, should be 2 of them.
Jack the front of the engine up a bit to give more room.
Push transmission onto the 2 bottom studs on engine.
Get some assistance! Have someone check that while you are pushing and wiggling the trans you are keeping it parallel with the engine mating surface. You need to push and wiggle violently. Should eventually begin to slide on. Ive had it take me 2 minutes one time and up to 30 minutes another.
'14 SWP BRZ 6MT | FBM built 9:1cr engine w/ GTX3076R Turbo | Mazworx CD009 trans swap | EcuTek | Jackson Racing Dual Oil Cooler/Radiator | SPAL fans | JDL 3" Dual Resonated OP/FP | Perrin 3" | Radium Dual Cans | 18" Rota Titans | M85 3.73 diff | DSS 1k axles | And more....too much more....ugh.
Tonrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tonrogs For This Useful Post:
airrick (04-28-2020), gravitylover (04-27-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #17
airrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonrogs View Post
Double check your new clutch disk is correct for the spline on the transmission. You will have to remove the clutch to do that. See if it slips on.
Did you replace the pilot bearing? Did you double check fitment prior to trying to assemble everything?
If all are correct, make sure when reassembling that you use the tool to center the disk.
Double check your alignment pins are in place, should be 2 of them.
Jack the front of the engine up a bit to give more room.
Push transmission onto the 2 bottom studs on engine.
Get some assistance! Have someone check that while you are pushing and wiggling the trans you are keeping it parallel with the engine mating surface. You need to push and wiggle violently. Should eventually begin to slide on. Ive had it take me 2 minutes one time and up to 30 minutes another.

This^ right here. I did eventually do it but having that person on top checking when we were level and when to wiggle and shove.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #18
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Well I just got everything apart and the transmission out. Removed without taking the shifter out just got from underneath. Didn't slide the shifter-to-transmission assembly out of the way which blocked me from removing the trans at first.

Tomorrow I will attempt to reinstall the trans some good advice on here as this is going to be a PIA.

People keep saying to jack the engine up by the oil pan which only tilted the motor more forward. I jacked it from a spot right in the front of the oil pan with a piece of wood. To push the front of the motor up and the back of the motor slightly down if that makes sense.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #19
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
How I support the engine

Old 04-29-2020, 01:50 AM   #20
airrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Well I just got everything apart and the transmission out. Removed without taking the shifter out just got from underneath. Didn't slide the shifter-to-transmission assembly out of the way which blocked me from removing the trans at first.

Tomorrow I will attempt to reinstall the trans some good advice on here as this is going to be a PIA.

People keep saying to jack the engine up by the oil pan which only tilted the motor more forward. I jacked it from a spot right in the front of the oil pan with a piece of wood. To push the front of the motor up and the back of the motor slightly down if that makes sense.
i jacked it up by the headers. I totally damaged my new clutch so be careful about getting your splines in-line. theres 2 ways i know of doing this once you have your trans on the 2 studs. rotate the crank shaft, or spin the drive shalf from the rear of the transmission( but you need your car in gear)

as long as you get your motor and trans level thats really the important part because it should just slide in without any real real stoppage, if there is. something is up.

good luck mate!
The Following User Says Thank You to airrick For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #21
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by airrick View Post
rotate the crank shaft, or spin the drive shalf from the rear of the transmission( but you need your car in gear)
Fuck I put the shifter linkage rod into what I thought was neutral to spin the driveshaft area freely. I also slighty rotated the crank shaft a lil to try.
I would basically get it to about an inch of sliding all the way on.

I made sure I really took my time aligning the clutch with the tool. Holding the tool in place while tightening down each pressure plate bolt a little at a time for the record so it seemed very aligned.

I think I totally fucked up now im pissed. I jacked up front of motor till the point the intake hose popped off. I keep raming in front to back and wiggling side to side and it still wouldn't go within an inch.

I cheated and started to thread the bolts a slowy pull in(I know this is supposed to be bad) go to within a half an inch and still tried to wiggle then I think I heard a ping inside the transmission. Although I didn't feel any resistance to using the bolts to pull together. Anyway I Stopped with 1/2" of space still for fear of fucking up something more. Its going to be raining all day tomorrow so Im just going to walk away for a few days.

im going to keep reading and watching videos. I will probably pull everything back out unless anyone has had success using the bolts to pull it together. FUCK!!!!
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #22
airrick

Quote:
Fuck I put the shifter linkage rod into what I thought was neutral to spin the driveshaft area freely. I also slighty rotated the crank shaft a lil to try.

I made sure I really took my time aligning the clutch with the tool. Holding the tool in place while tightening down each pressure plate bolt a little at a time for the record so it seemed very aligned.

I think I totally fucked up now im pissed. I jacked up front of motor till the point the intake hose popped off. I keep raming in front to back and wiggling side to side and it still wouldn't go within an inch.

I cheated and started to thread the bolts a slowy pull in(I know this is supposed to be bad) go to within a half an inch and still tried to wiggle then I think I heard a ping inside the transmission. Although I didn't feel any resistance to using the bolts to pull together. Anyway I Stopped with 1/2" of space still for fear of fucking up something more. Its going to be raining all day tomorrow so Im just going to walk away for a few days.

im going to keep reading and watching videos. I will probably pull everything back out unless anyone has had success using the bolts to pull it together. FUCK!!!!

slowly threading the bolts is bad. if you cant move your transmission by wiggling it. there is something in the way or your splines arent aligned or your alignment came out of place because apparently it can. with that plastic alignment tool. i recommend you checking with the alignment tool on the pressure plate by move your finger around the alignment tool and make sure the gap is the same. its what i did to check alignment but thats what i did after i took everything out. I had someone hold the clutch while, i held on the aligntment tool in place and hand threaded the bolts.

did you remove your transmission mount bracket? if gave me more room near the linkage area for aligning the trans and motor.

Last edited by airrick; 04-29-2020 at 03:46 PM. Reason: info
Old 04-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #23
airrick

Quote:

This is why its bad to start threading your bolts to meet the transmission. I fractured my new clutch. It has like 10 cracks on it since i didnt align my splines
Attached Images

SuperTom (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #24
SuperTom

Quote:
This is why its bad to start threading your bolts to meet the transmission. I fractured my new clutch. It has like 10 cracks on it since i didnt align my splines
If the worst thing is my clutch being messed up I wont be so mad as I was reusing my stock one with low miles. I was installing a LW flywheel and put in new TOB, velox clutch lever. I was thinking I just wasn't strong enough to get it to slide in, but some people say it should be sooo damn easy. plus I didn't feel any resistance when slowing hand tighting down the trans a little bit side to side. Anyway I will pull the trans back off and double check to see if the clutch got fucked. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #25
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm puzzled, is there a legal requirement in your country that a car owner must do all mechanical work on his/her vehicle? The Heath Robinson contraptions to get round issues only to find that you've wrecked something else just doesn't compute with me..
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #26
airrick

Quote:
If the worst thing is my clutch being messed up I wont be so mad as I was reusing my stock one with low miles. I was installing a LW flywheel and put in new TOB, velox clutch lever. I was thinking I just wasn't strong enough to get it to slide in, but some people say it should be sooo damn easy. plus I didn't feel any resistance when slowing hand tighting down the trans a little bit side to side. Anyway I will pull the trans back off and double check to see if the clutch got fucked. Thanks!
you just need to make sure someone is on top telling whoever is on the bottom pushing/wiggling the trans in place. if the splines are aligned and everything level is really should just slide in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
I'm puzzled, is there a legal requirement in your country that a car owner must do all mechanical work on his/her vehicle? The Heath Robinson contraptions to get round issues only to find that you've wrecked something else just doesn't compute with me..
Nope, just part where I have to give a shop legal tender. The part where you don't understand is all about learning. I mean I could pay a shop but i like the learning, and yea i messed up but i still have the knowledge now and better confidence in next time. Or you could pay for my next transmission job =D
JD001 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #27
Tonrogs

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
if you heard a "ting" that could be one of your tob clips. Definitely pull it apart and take a peek.
I also recommend to zip tie the fork to a bolt outside the trans when putting the trans back in. This way it cannot get knocked off the pivot or push the tob post the sleeve it rides on incase you accidentally hit it on the tunnel.
Keep wiggling round and round until it goes on. I typically never spin the driveshaft as long as you wiggle it right, it will turn itself and go on.
'14 SWP BRZ 6MT | FBM built 9:1cr engine w/ GTX3076R Turbo | Mazworx CD009 trans swap | EcuTek | Jackson Racing Dual Oil Cooler/Radiator | SPAL fans | JDL 3" Dual Resonated OP/FP | Perrin 3" | Radium Dual Cans | 18" Rota Titans | M85 3.73 diff | DSS 1k axles | And more....too much more....ugh.
Tonrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonrogs For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #28
SuperTom

Quote:
you just need to make sure someone is on top telling whoever is on the bottom pushing/wiggling the trans in place. if the splines are aligned and everything level is really should just slide in.

Nope, just part where I have to give a shop legal tender. The part where you don't understand is all about learning. I mean I could pay a shop but i like the learning, and yea i messed up but i still have the knowledge now and better confidence in next time. Or you could pay for my next transmission job =D
well this is a solo project no help around. Also im working on a slightly slanted driveway. I thinking with the front already up high, the engine pushed high from front. The trans was going in at an up angle making it more difficult to move the weight. Ill have to try to jack the rear up higher to make it all level

Its going to be hard for me to let this go the next couple days, damn rain. And no im not taking this to someone stubbornness is part of the learning process for me