follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I suspect the OP maybe was used to an auto trans?
perhaps, but the auto, especially in sport mode, does an ok job at downshifting to around peak power when you're wot. think people who complain about passing power on the twins are those with a MT...they keep it in either 5th or 6th going 60-70 MPH and punch it like they expect a big block chevy under their foot
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #16
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I will never ever be able to understand the oft made statement "I have problems passing" with this car. The vast majority of cars on the roads have between 90 and 150 HP yet they all manage to get past other vehicles with no issues. Did everybody that can't get past other cars all come from Mustang GTs or something where you just mashed the pedal? Hell just the other day I was doing 65 on a back road and a Mitsubishi Mirage flew past me with all it's 80HP, 74lbs torque. He didn't seem to be struggling even if he was a far braver soul than I to go that speed on the road we were on. Going turbo or SC because you "can't pass" is just a way your own brain is trying to rationalize your need for one. Downshift and pass.

Not sure what to tell you man, all I know is I was in 3rd or 4th gear, foot to the floor the other day trying to get into the far lane and a Toyota Sienna minivan was gaijing on me (I honestly think he was trying to race me or block me). I did let off throttle because traffic in front of me slowed down, and I decided to go behind the van anyways, but yeah, i found myself wanting for more power in that specific situation. Maybe I should have downshifted another gear and redlined it but didn't feel like doing that at the time (I have no problem pushing it that far, I'm not light with the throttle).

I came from one of the worst cars of the 21st century but still find myself wanting for a bit more power, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #17
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Damnit, Bobby!
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #18
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
Not sure what to tell you man, all I know is I was in 3rd or 4th gear, foot to the floor the other day trying to get into the far lane and a Toyota Sienna minivan was gaijing on me (I honestly think he was trying to race me or block me). I did let off throttle because traffic in front of me slowed down, and I decided to go behind the van anyways, but yeah, i found myself wanting for more power in that specific situation. Maybe I should have downshifted another gear and redlined it but didn't feel like doing that at the time (I have no problem pushing it that far, I'm not light with the throttle).

I came from one of the worst cars of the 21st century but still find myself wanting for a bit more power, personally.

think the issue is people don't give the 2GR enough credit the days of economy/luxury cars being slower than performance cars are over
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

If you have it to the floor and you are not accelerating fast enough then you are in the wrong gear for what you are trying to do. You would not have to red line it but simply be in the right gear for the job. Adding power will not help if you are not using what you already have to full advantage.
Jordanwolf (09-08-2017), mrg666 (09-08-2017), TommyW (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #20
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I will never ever be able to understand the oft made statement "I have problems passing" with this car. The vast majority of cars on the roads have between 90 and 150 HP yet they all manage to get past other vehicles with no issues. Did everybody that can't get past other cars all come from Mustang GTs or something where you just mashed the pedal? Hell just the other day I was doing 65 on a back road and a Mitsubishi Mirage flew past me with all it's 80HP, 74lbs torque. He didn't seem to be struggling even if he was a far braver soul than I to go that speed on the road we were on. Going turbo or SC because you "can't pass" is just a way your own brain is trying to rationalize your need for one. Downshift and pass.
Its why we can't have a more "aggressive" overdrive gear to keep revs down in 6th gear anymore, people afraid to actually row their gears.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
mrderp
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: 860 SansOverspray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm breaking in my new one and yet I manage to find enough power under 4000rpm while not at WOT to pass cars on the highway.

I guess I'm doing it wrong?
mrderp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrderp For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #22
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubella2 View Post
A lot of your complaints would have been noticed on a test drive.
Going to have to agree with this, especially the first complaint about seating position. To me it's perfect, I'm also 5'9" though and my dad who is 6' says the seating is very comfortable and feels right. Perhaps this is a question of anatomy
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #23
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
If you have it to the floor and you are not accelerating fast enough then you are in the wrong gear for what you are trying to do. You would not have to red line it but simply be in the right gear for the job. Adding power will not help if you are not using what you already have to full advantage.
^ this. tcoat no stupid, me like tcoat
Jordanwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #24
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Going to have to agree with this, especially the first complaint about seating position. To me it's perfect, I'm also 5'9" though and my dad who is 6' says the seating is very comfortable and feels right. Perhaps this is a question of anatomy
I'm 6' and it is perfect. Even my 6'1" dad who always complains about seating in small sports cars (he's a luxo-barge kind of guy) said he was comfortable.

But yeah seats are a weird thing. A lot depends on how long waisted or long legged you are.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #25
damnitBobby

Drives: 2016 frs 6mt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Excellent write up, I've had mine for 6 months and yeah, there definitely is a lack of power, particularly for passing on the highway. What car are you replacing it with if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: Also, did you ever look into a turbo/SC? Why didn't you go that route if you wanted more power? Or even change up the gearing?
Thanks. I'm not really into aftermarket stuff. I guess I have old man taste.

I never said it had trouble passing. I think someone else said that.

I said it could use more power so I wouldn't lose to V6 accords. And yes I understand why I'm losing to V6 accords. But when you aren't a car enthusiast and you see a sleek sports car you wouldn't expect it to lose a drag race to a plebeian family sedan. Hey but I had the same issues with my RX8 so don't get too butt hurt guys. It's a minor gripe about an overall great car.

And the guy/gal that asked visit the STI engine/modifications forums for more information on glass motors.

As far as what I'm replacing it with that remains to be seen. The new F Type R is striking my fancy. But not sure if I want to spend that much. So I think I'm going to take a break from sports cars for a while.
damnitBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #26
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrderp View Post
I'm breaking in my new one and yet I manage to find enough power under 4000rpm while not at WOT to pass cars on the highway.

I guess I'm doing it wrong?

In the specific situation I was talking about, the Sienna minivan with more hp/torque was also gunning it. I think I was in 3rd or 4th so I would have had to downshift again to get in front of the minivan if I had the space. Also, sometimes other cars don't merge properly and there's barely an opening for me to merge. Or I go to pass a truck and it takes forever, even redlining at times. Maybe the cars/trucks in my area are just crazy but that's my experience. I'm learning how to maximize the power in this car now and barely find myself in situations where I feel low on power, but there have been enough instances to make it a concern for me.

HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #27
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
You should get the Lexus LC 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Thanks. I'm not really into aftermarket stuff. I guess I have old man taste.

I never said it had trouble passing. I think someone else said that.

I said it could use more power so I wouldn't lose to V6 accords. And yes I understand why I'm losing to V6 accords. But when you aren't a car enthusiast and you see a sleek sports car you wouldn't expect it to lose a drag race to a plebeian family sedan. Hey but I had the same issues with my RX8 so don't get too butt hurt guys. It's a minor gripe about an overall great car.

And the guy/gal that asked visit the STI engine/modifications forums for more information on glass motors.

As far as what I'm replacing it with that remains to be seen. The new F Type R is striking my fancy. But not sure if I want to spend that much. So I think I'm going to take a break from sports cars for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #28
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I suspect the OP maybe was used to an auto trans?
Please don't say that! I am sure you agree with these and these are valid for AT too. You can and should downshift with AT as well. Sitting back and expecting right foot to do the job is for muscle cars not sports cars. We are supposed to downshift with AT as well. Redline is at 7500 rpm for a reason!
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote