follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Car Wont Start Up HELP !!***

so i went to turn on my car this morning and it completely shut down… lights and electronic things worked like radio and unlocking doors lights horn etc went to turn the key to just where the gauges come on and nothing happened car completely shut down. the car never gets to actually turn on or even catch. i noticed that if i disconnect the red terminal of the battery and let it chill for 5 minutes and put it back on the car will start. i also tested to see if it was the battery: i just let the lights go on and they shortly went off for some reason. i have no idea whats happening to this piece of shit car i want to burn it lol I'm going to have to bring it to the dealer but really hope my warranty isn't voided. all i have is a CAI HIDS, FOGs, Tails, Axle Back and thats it
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,835 Times in 16,432 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, that's got to be aggravating ....

I'd guess either the battery isn't holding the charge or the alternator isn't making electricity (or allowing it to go to the battery).

So, a load test on the battery and a charging test on the alternator may be in order.

Now, is THAT old school or what .... ??

Maybe somewhere in your electrical mods, a battery drain was created ..??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
ScionFR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, that's got to be aggravating ....

I'd guess either the battery isn't holding the charge or the alternator isn't making electricity (or allowing it to go to the battery).

So, a load test on the battery and a charging test on the alternator may be in order.

Now, is THAT old school or what .... ??

Maybe somewhere in your electrical mods, a battery drain was created ..??

humfrz
Now should I disconnect all lights and see what happens ? I also tested the alternator and disconnected the red terminal as the car was running and everything was fine
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

Old 11-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sounds like you swapped every major exterior light on the car and now your battery won't hold a charge.

Looks like an open and shut case to me, there's an electrical fault somewhere. You're going to have to go through all the work you did if you did it yourself, check up on the specific kits you bought and see if there's anything wrong (incorrect resistances or something) or if you paid someone go bitch to them to fix their mistakes.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
ScionFR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Sounds like you swapped every major exterior light on the car and now your battery won't hold a charge.

Looks like an open and shut case to me, there's an electrical fault somewhere. You're going to have to go through all the work you did if you did it yourself, check up on the specific kits you bought and see if there's anything wrong (incorrect resistances or something) or if you paid someone go bitch to them to fix their mistakes.
or it could be a relay, it could be sticking and by disconnecting my battery it removes and opens the circuits resetting the system. idk i don't know if its the lights themselves because my car will start after i reset the system and disconnect the battery. its not like i have to jump start it every time

Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
humfrz

hmmmm......so, did you have the battery "load tested", not just tested to see if it reads 12 volts?

If you have a multi-meter, you can test to see if you have an open circuit and track it down.

Happy hunting ......

humfrz
Old 11-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Lights or aftermarket alarm/auto start would be my guess.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
If you've ever let the battery discharge to the point where it doesn't have enough juice left to crank the starter, I bet the battery's not holding enough charge to start.

My stock battery exhibited the same type of behavior, and since I keep a dash cam on while parked, I figured it was time to swap it out with something better suited for all the additional electronics I've added as well as needing to keep power going while parked (until voltage drops to 12V, which should just be enough to start the car). Ended up going with an Optima Yellow Top D35.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
ScionFR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
If you've ever let the battery discharge to the point where it doesn't have enough juice left to crank the starter, I bet the battery's not holding enough charge to start.

My stock battery exhibited the same type of behavior, and since I keep a dash cam on while parked, I figured it was time to swap it out with something better suited for all the additional electronics I've added as well as needing to keep power going while parked (until voltage drops to 12V, which should just be enough to start the car). Ended up going with an Optima Yellow Top D35.
so what battery should i go with? I'm not trying to spend 200 on a battery lol and is it easy to install? i have HIDs Spyder Tails, Fogs , LED side markers and signals and DRLs and reverse light

Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
so what battery should i go with? I'm not trying to spend 200 on a battery lol and is it easy to install? i have HIDs Spyder Tails, Fogs , LED side markers and signals and DRLs and reverse light
A good dual purpose (starting and deep cycle) is what I would recommend. Die-Hard Platinum is another respected choice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
ScionFR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
A good dual purpose (starting and deep cycle) is what I would recommend. Die-Hard Platinum is another respected choice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Do I need to look for certain specs when getting the battery

Old 11-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
Do I need to look for certain specs when getting the battery
Well, ScionFR-S, are you sure it's the battery? Did you have it load tested?

If the battery isn't bad and you replace it and not fix what is wrong, it will just drain the new battery (no matter how big it is) .... it will just take longer....

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JDM FRS (11-28-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Also of note, disconnecting the battery is not a good idea with modern cars. For the sake of your entire electrical system, try not to run the car without a battery connected to the charge/start system
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #14
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
A group 35 with the proper terminal orientation should fit.

Like humfrz suggested though, get your stock battery tested first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk