follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #603
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nope you nailed it!
If they made the car to the standards that some would like it would be another $100K sports car lost is the shuffle with the rest of them and most would never have been able to touch it in the first place. Little do they know that the 8 year old cars they can afford are going to have all the issues that this one does and more. Hell some of them are worse than this brand new (look closely at a lower end Porsche interior). That will be OK though because it is a Porsche, Corvette, etc, etc.
Every car has some sort of problem unique to them, that's common sense. It all depends on what we are looking for. For me, personally, the BRZ doesn't have enough going for it to keep me interested when it's shaking/vibrating itself to hell and back.If it works for others....cool, not knocking that.

I could go on for just as long with all the problems associated with Corvettes too, having owned multiple in the past 10 years. But I wasn't comparing it to that in the first place, everybody else was.
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apex_BRZ For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-21-2016), Tcoat (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #604
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Ah yes I forgot those. Like just about everybody else I guess.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #605
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,247 Times in 8,614 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Best car for the price I've ever owned, and I've owned some good ones.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #606
P86RAVES

Drives: 08 WRB WRX STi / NA Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Woodman View Post
Comparing new 0 mile vehicles with used second had cars makes no sense. You can win any argument with this comparison. Not quiet enough? Buy a 1997 Rolls Royce for less Not enough space? 2004 Topkick? Too slow? A 911 is better then a silly twin.

Porsche 718 Cayman: MSRP $ 53,900.00
Chevrolet Corvette GS: MSRP $ 65,450.00
Jaguar F type: MSRP $ 61,400.00
Alfa Romeo 4C: MSRP: From $55,900.00

Toyota 86: MSRP: $26,255.00
Yea, comparing this car to an S2000 or RX7 makes about no sense whatsoever.

No one could bring up any valid points and shortcomings of the car because those are old and have miles and this one is new and has less miles. Why would anyone even do that?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #607
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nope you nailed it!
You are wasting your breath though since your target audience are just going to second guess the teams at Toyota and Subaru on every point. For some reason every person that got bored with the car knows exactly what it should have been and has a business plan to back it.
If they made the car to the standards that some would like it would be another $100K sports car lost is the shuffle with the rest of them and most would never have been able to touch it in the first place. Little do they know that the 8 year old cars they can afford are going to have all the issues that this one does and more. Hell some of them are worse than this brand new (look closely at a lower end Porsche interior). That will be OK though because it is a Porsche, Corvette, etc, etc.
Yep. I touched on this in the 2017 BRZ thread, but there are way too many people who do not understand the incredible financial scrutiny that goes into making cars.

Gifting the BRZ with a unique components not shared across the Toyota/Subaru portfolio (chassis, engine and drivetrain) meant that concessions had to be made to keep the car both light *and* affordable.

There is an illustrative scene in the Ford Mustang development documentary "A Faster Horse". The team is going over the financials of the project and they end up going with a gasket that is 5 cents per unit cheaper because even though it's less durable or produces more NVH, when amortized over hundreds of thousands of vehicles, it frees up another $2 million in the budget to work on suspension tuning.

Those are the kind of trade-offs that the team had to make to offer you a compact, light weight, ultra-low COG, RWD, 2+2 car that still meets all regulations, passes crash tests and is affordable to the masses. Those are the sacrifices that are required when you go from Porsche Cayman budget to the Cayman for the every man budget.

Last edited by unhappymeal; 11-22-2016 at 12:47 PM.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (11-23-2016), Rakshaa (11-22-2016), stock (12-09-2016), strat61caster (11-22-2016), Tcoat (11-22-2016), Turdinator (12-07-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #608
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
Yep. I touched on this in the 2017 BRZ thread, but there are way too many people who do not understand the incredible financial scrutiny that goes into making cars.

Gifting the BRZ with a unique components not shared across the Toyota/Subaru portfolio (chassis, engine and drivetrain) meant that concessions had to be made to keep the car both light *and* affordable.

There is an illustrative scene in the Ford Mustang development documentary "A Faster Horse". The team is going over the financials of the project and they end up going with a gasket that is 5 cents cheaper because even though it's less durable or produces more NVH, when amortized over hundreds of thousands of vehicles, it frees up another $2 million in the budget to work on suspension tuning.

Those are the kind of trade-offs that the team had to make to offer you a compact, light weight, ultra-low COG, RWD, 2+2 car that still meets all regulations, passes crash tests and is affordable to the masses. Those are the sacrifices that are required when you go from Porsche Cayman budget to the Cayman for the every man budget.
You make a good point. Sure, it's absolutely understandable WHY certain sacrifices are made. The sad part is, when it's a new model, sometimes you don't find out to what extent until you've owned the car for a while. Everyone's tolerance level and what they decide they can live with is completely different. Kind of a bummer, but hey...that's cars.
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apex_BRZ For This Useful Post:
unhappymeal (11-22-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #609
john5757

Drives: imaginary brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post

There is an illustrative scene in the Ford Mustang development documentary "A Faster Horse". The team is going over the financials of the project and they end up going with a gasket that is 5 cents per unit cheaper because even though it's less durable or produces more NVH, when amortized over hundreds of thousands of vehicles, it frees up another $2 million in the budget to work on suspension tuning.

lol this is exactly what I was going to mention as I just watched that documentary and now I can't stop thinking about it.
john5757 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john5757 For This Useful Post:
unhappymeal (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #610
softgrip

Drives: 2017 BRZ - Dark Grey Metallic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I was 100% satisfied with my 2016 BRZ. It does everything well, and lets the child lego enthusiast in me dream of gradual upgrades to power train and suspension etc to turn the car into a track beast.

Maybe it's just me, but if I had $1million to waste on cars, it would be a BRZ with as many bells and whistles as I could possibly add. I'd also buy a BMW M2 for a daily driver

The styling of a well garnished sports kitted BRZ makes my pants tight.
softgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #611
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrip View Post

Maybe it's just me, but if I had $1million to waste on cars, it would be a BRZ with as many bells and whistles as I could possibly add. I'd also buy a BMW M2 for a daily driver
BMW M2's are great, I had the opportunity to test drive one not too long ago. Almost bought it, actually had a deposit on one until just recently. It is a shame they are so hard to get
Old 12-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #612
spralwers

Drives: 2010 Lexus ES 350, 2011 BMW 128i
I'm returning my lease this weekend. How much I enjoy this car really depends on my mood and how I'm feeling. There was a period of time where I was in a bad slump. Nothing in particular happened to me, I just became lazy and lethargic. I found this car to be overwhelming during that time and I hated driving it.

Recently I started taking better care of myself. Regular exercise, and all the changes that happened to me from regular exercising made me diet better too. And since then I really love this car. It does take a lot of energy, and enthusiasm for driving to enjoy this car. I really don't think it's for everyone.

I loved driving it in the winter with snow tires.

If I wasn't intending on going abroad for grad school in a couple years I would buy a 2017.
spralwers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #613
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P86RAVES View Post
Yea, comparing this car to an S2000 or RX7 makes about no sense whatsoever.

No one could bring up any valid points and shortcomings of the car because those are old and have miles and this one is new and has less miles. Why would anyone even do that?
Except that many of us HAD an S2000 before our twin; so the comparison is naturally going to happen.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #614
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
much more satisfied with my FR-S than my GF
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
stock (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #615
MarquisDeMaynes

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
2013 BRZ daily driver review

Having been a longtime Pontiac fan, although I had owned various other makes over the years, Pontiac's demise forced me to look elsewhere for a daily driver. Here are my thoughts on the 2013 BRZ after 30,000 miles...

MarquisDeMaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #616
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
much more satisfied with my FR-S than my GF