follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
JoonPrime

Drives: 2015 Limited series all white brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New BRZ Owner, some questions!

Hey all! Brand new to the forums here, and a brand new BRZ owner as well!
i got myself a 2015 limited series all white and it is...so beautiful...

a little about my uneducated self-my names matt, i am 22 yearsold just rounding out his first official year on the job. With the money saved i got myself this bad boy as my first big boy purchase, as well as my first ever stick shift car! Prior, i was a little mommas boy riding around in leased vehicles so i had never much to worry about.

2 main things about the car which concern me,it says premium gas and i am not against spending a little extra to make my car pur a little nicer. but whats the difference in 92 octane from wawa(east coast thing i think..) and containing up to 10% ethanol, or e10 gas as ive searched up, versus unleaded 93 from another station?? ive tried googling and browsing the web but ive found so many mixed results that...ive lost track of whose voted what. ive filled up twice at my local wawa with 92 e10 gas but i wanna know if its damaging for the car..

2nd...after i practice out my car and all the wrinkles of driving it clunky, what are some efficient ways to upgrade the cars overall performance ? like speed upgrades, super vs turbo charge and things and sorts. im a COMPLETE novice at cars...hehe..sorry..and thanks to anyone who answers!!
JoonPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
sunrisecirrus

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i think it says in the manual not more than 10% ehthanol. i fill on premium from wawa also
sunrisecirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
All the answers you need will be found by

sklimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Darnold

Drives: 04' 400whp S2000, 01' DD S2000
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Once you can drive the car without staling... Continue driving until you can effectively figure out how to revmatch smoothly daily driving (BOTH DIRECTIONS not just down shifts). Once you can do that start reading about different schools of thought with driving and forcing yourself to practice good driving habits.

- Get a shift extender for daily driving. Surprises me how many people rest their hands on the shift knob and not on the steering wheel. The extender makes the throw feel longer, however it forces you to practice good habits and you're overall control will go up.
- Go do a couple of autocross events (ON THE CRAP TIRES). Bad tires do not hide bad driving, it will take a long time to get off high TW tires and on to lower TW tires and even then going to slicks is scary.
- Do the modifications within you're bracket. (Stock class with SCCA allows catback exhaust, tires and wheels within OEM spec and I believe +5 mm within stock offset.)
- Go do a couple of road course events.

Then when you feel competent let a few instructors drive your car and ride with you in your car and let them help guide you what you should change to make the bump up into the next class.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
AFAIK this car can be safely filled with 91 and in some states thats actually the highest available. Below 91 you will encounter some problems. I myself use Wawa as well and honestly can't feel a difference between Wawa's 92 and something like Sunoco Ultra 93.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote