follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnt View Post
Hello everyone! Had my first track day at Streets of Willow Springs this past Sunday and had a very good time. My best time that I got back after the event was pretty disappointing though at a 1.43.39. Or at least I think its disappointing because its at the bottom of the results page.

I think I do know what the issue was and that was being in the right gear coming out of turns. I never really did any heel toeing before the track day so not very good at it. I tried heel toeing in the first 2 sessions but found it very awkward to do the whole foot maneuver, and found myself losing focus on the track trying to do it. So the rest of the day I just stuck in third and went in 2nd in the middle of a turn in the last couple of turns.

I have a couple of questions.
1. Am I overreacting and just need some time to get used to it?
2. Will a verus throttle pedal spacer help with this?
3. Is the autoblip feature that comes with the ecutek racerom a suitable substitute while track driving?
4. Did any of you guys find it hard to heel toe in this car when you first got in and how long did it take you to become accustomed to it.

Heres a video of some of my last session. It doesnt look good because I forgot to fix a setting in the gopro.
Were you actually the worst time, or were there others far below you? 1:43 isn't actually a bad time starting out. My friends have done 1:41 and 1:50. Sounds about right for a first-timer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #16
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some people (including myself) find the stock pedals a bit far apart to make heel-toe easy.

You can consider getting the SRP wide gas pedal, which I did. Makes it SO much easier to heel-toe and looks OEM. Also much cheaper than the Verus spacer:

https://www.srpracing.com/pd-brz-fr-...pedal-only.cfm

Highly recommend.

Last edited by NLSP; 04-01-2021 at 09:25 PM.
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #17
jmimac351
Chin Chief Instructor

Drives: 2015 Ford F150 Aluminium Couch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Was this your first track day ever? Was there an Instructor riding right seat? If not, can you get one? That is going to help you farrrr more than H/T.
Cobra Replica Build Pics
Chin Chief Instructor www.ChinTrackDays.com
jmimac351 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmimac351 For This Useful Post:
femaledog (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #18
femaledog

Drives: 2017 BRZ Perf. Pkg.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnt View Post

I have a couple of questions.
1. Am I overreacting and just need some time to get used to it?
2. Will a verus throttle pedal spacer help with this?
3. Is the autoblip feature that comes with the ecutek racerom a suitable substitute while track driving?
4. Did any of you guys find it hard to heel toe in this car when you first got in and how long did it take you to become accustomed to it.
1. Yes
2. Probably, I use the cusco pedal.
3. No, learn to do it on your own.
4. Not really once I had the wider pedal. I have small feet.

Footwork is something you need to develop. You don't need to be able to heel and toe to turn some quick laps in early groups. Brake, blip, downshift, turn. Eventually those start to overlap each other to the point they seem like one action. In the beginning, be deliberate. Straight line brake. clutch in, rev. downshift. turn.
femaledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
I've got big clown feet. I toe-toe and keep my heel planted. Find what works for you, there's no perfect solution.
MICHAEL450f (04-02-2021), SCFD (04-04-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 12:00 AM   #20
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Don't feel bad about the time... SOW is all tire. I am only at a 1:37 there atm. I also can't heel and toe so I use ecutek auto blip plus me trying to blip it to simulate. Focus on line, breaking zones, apex's, etc... Are all other things you need to master. It takes alot of practice to get comfortable at the track. Sounds like you had fun, your car came back in one peice, and you want to go again I would say that was about the perfect first track day.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:09 AM   #21
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I liked the cusco pedal.
I found the easiest way to practice was 3-2 down shifts on exit ramps.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:47 AM   #22
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
A big part of heel toeing is getting your legs straight so you can rotate your foot. A bent knee will not be conducive to this and will result in you trying to heel toe by using the side of your foot, which is difficult in these cars as the pedals are too far apart.

Straight leg, rotate your foot and use your heel. Practice all the time. It's like wheelies on a bike. You don't need to buy anything to enable you to do it. Just practice.

Question on autoblip: a 3-1 shift requires a much bigger blip to match revs than a 4-3. Autoblip doesn't compensate for this does it?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Purist; 04-03-2021 at 04:27 AM.
Purist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #23
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
A big part of heel toeing is getting your legs straight so you can rotate your foot. A bent knee will not be conducive to this and will result in you trying to heel toe by using the side of your foot, which is difficult in these cars as the pedals are too far apart.

Straight leg, rotate your foot and use your heel. Practice all the time. It's like wheelies on a bike. You don't need to buy anything to enable you to do it. Just practice.

Question on autoblip: a 3-1 shift requires a much bigger blip to match revs than a 4-3. Autoblip doesn't compensate for this does it?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
For me, biggest issue is that the knee touches the bottom of steering wheel when I try to rotate the ankle. So, fo heel and toe, I changed in a way that I rotated less and it is working fine (w/ cusco pedal extension). Practiced on street only so far, but it became natural.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #24
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
after playing more in the car today, i suggest you get used to playing with only rev-matching the car first on the street, and then slowly add heel/toe to the mix after you can competently rev-match alone.

i find this car extremely easy to rev-match (i genuinely believe the factory tune has a 'coaxing mode' that any amount of throttle input engages just the right amount of rpm regardless of actual throttle input amount, and just leaves clutch engagement timing to the user--there's no way i'm as good at it as the car makes it out to be), so i had started heel-toe rev-matching a day after i started trying to rev-match only.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:30 PM   #25
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
For me, biggest issue is that the knee touches the bottom of steering wheel when I try to rotate the ankle. So, fo heel and toe, I changed in a way that I rotated less and it is working fine (w/ cusco pedal extension). Practiced on street only so far, but it became natural.

When finding my seat position in any car I rotate my foot like I’m heel toeing and then move the seat back until my knee isn’t on the wheel and gives my hands enough room to turn the wheel. You should also be able to rotate the wheel until your arms are locked without having to lift your shoulder off the seat.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:34 PM   #26
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
after playing more in the car today, i suggest you get used to playing with only rev-matching the car first on the street, and then slowly add heel/toe to the mix after you can competently rev-match alone.

i find this car extremely easy to rev-match (i genuinely believe the factory tune has a 'coaxing mode' that any amount of throttle input engages just the right amount of rpm regardless of actual throttle input amount, and just leaves clutch engagement timing to the user--there's no way i'm as good at it as the car makes it out to be), so i had started heel-toe rev-matching a day after i started trying to rev-match only.

I felt this car blipped inconsistently until I switched to E85. Before E85 it would randomly give me the middle finger when doing a quick stab.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #27
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
One of the better instructional vids

TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #28
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
When finding my seat position in any car I rotate my foot like I’m heel toeing and then move the seat back until my knee isn’t on the wheel and gives my hands enough room to turn the wheel. You should also be able to rotate the wheel until your arms are locked without having to lift your shoulder off the seat.
I tried to balance how quick I can press/release the clutch also. I am very comfortable in the current position having to rotate about 45degress for the heel and toe, I understand that this is not the std position, but it is working for me.
Turning has never been a problem, but because I do not track the car, this may change if I go to the track.
Also, probably I would remove the 2 car seats from the car
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote