follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2016, 02:26 AM   #43
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
Most people are just jealous they have to sit in traffic and bikes don't.
I hear all the time: "motorcycles should have to wait like everyone else!"
Old 08-09-2016, 02:45 AM   #44
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Scooters do it so prolifically here that it would appear there is no law against it. I tend to put the passenger side close to the next car to block that side and swing my hand lazily, but menacingly out the driver's side window so they usually shift to the next row over. I'm not trying to make a statement. I just don't want my car gouged up or my mirror taken off by these little punk asshats on their wind up bikes ripping down between cars at any speed slower than the speed limit.

As far as less aggressive lane splitters like people slowly working up to the front at a light, it's fine with me as long as they haul ass when the light goes green. Don't cut in front of me then putt along.

Bikers get rained on and crashed into, it balances out.
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #45
echo419

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,879 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I look at allowing lane splitting the same way I look at allowing people to ride without a helmet. if you're dumb enough to do it society will soon be cured of your ignorance.
echo419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #46
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
Good for you. But it isn't illegal for people in California. All types of bikes with all types of riders split lanes and it works fine here 99% of the time.
funny thing is people in california still get pissed off when riders lane split..either most of you californians don't know about the law in your state or most of californians are douchebags because i've seen enough videos based in california where someone opens a door for no reason in stop and go traffic to cut off a lane splitter.... or someone moves their car over half a foot to make the bike swerve hitting another vehicle while lane splitting

FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #47
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
Good for you. But it isn't illegal for people in California. All types of bikes with all types of riders split lanes and it works fine here 99% of the time.

Meaning, an average biker who splits lanes once a day survives about three months, right?
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #48
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Drives: 2016 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
I look at allowing lane splitting the same way I look at allowing people to ride without a helmet. if you're dumb enough to do it society will soon be cured of your ignorance.
You're completely free to look at it that way, you'd just be wrong. I get the feeling that you don't ride and I'm also guessing you're just regurgitating drivel that you've heard somewhere else. Whether you believe it or not there have been several studies that have shown that splitting traffic is not only safer than sitting in traffic but it also eases traffic congestion. But please continue to wish death upon random strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Meaning, an average biker who splits lanes once a day survives about three months, right?
His statement should have probably been that it works out 99.999% of the time.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iamjacob For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-09-2016), Summerwolf (08-09-2016), tyrantcf (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #49
echo419

Quote:
You're completely free to look at it that way, you'd just be wrong. I get the feeling that you don't ride and I'm also guessing you're just regurgitating drivel that you've heard somewhere else. Whether you believe it or not there have been several studies that have shown that splitting traffic is not only safer than sitting in traffic but it also eases traffic congestion. But please continue to wish death upon random strangers...
welp your feeling would be wrong.

2000 Honda VFR

would like to see these studies. all it takes is some dumb ass to drift over a little while looking at their phone to kill or seriously injury you for life.

regardless though. riding without a helmet is flat out stupid and there's no other way to look at it. basically it's like smoking. people do it to look cool but it's nothing but a good way to get killed.
The Following User Says Thank You to echo419 For This Useful Post:
themadscientist (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #50
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

My apologies, I was wrong.

While I completely agree with you that riding without a helmet is super sketchy, I think the same goes for armored gloves, jackets, boots and pants (most motorcycle injuries are to the lower body). However safety is a personal choice and many individuals are very bad at risk assessment and quality riding gear is expensive.

On the study side of things...

Newest data...
http://www.ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publicatio...afety-2015.pdf

Old data...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_Report

Lots of data...
http://lanesplittingislegal.com/resources-links

Last edited by iamjacob; 08-09-2016 at 04:22 PM. Reason: missed a space
The Following User Says Thank You to iamjacob For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-09-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #51
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Sure quality gear is expensive, but weigh it against a possibly avoidable hospital bill and it starts to look like a real bargain. I ride with all the gear, but I could give two shits if other people do; it's your ass, mess yourself up if you want.
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-10-2016), echo419 (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #52
echo419

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
Sure quality gear is expensive, but weigh it against a possibly avoidable hospital bill and it starts to look like a real bargain. I ride with all the gear, but I could give two shits if other people do; it's your ass, mess yourself up if you want.
indeed. that's why I'll never ride in shorts and a t-shirt. dress for the fall not the ride. no sense in turning a tiny accident into a big deal by ripping a big patch of skin off your body that otherwise would have been no big deal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echo419 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-10-2016), themadscientist (08-11-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #53
echo419

I should add that I think where this splitting is done is a major factor. a lot of the studies seem to get the majority(if not all) their data from Cali. I've never driven there so I can't speak to what drivers are like out there.

what I can say is that in Ga for example if someone saw you lane splitting(assuming it was legal) the probability of them crossing lanes just for the sake of spotting you from getting ahead of them is high if not a certainty. folks here are major jerks on the road. they will speed up as soon as you turn on a signal(car or bike). seriously, I'll see the car dip down from the driver hitting the accelerator hard. I could go on all day with examples of how people here will do things just so you don't get ahead of them.

worse is Florida. those people just don't care. they go where they want when they want others around them be damned.

I blame all the transplants in GA. almost no one here is actually from here. then the blue hairs in FL that just don't care, know their time is coming and want to take someone with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to echo419 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #54
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I should add that I think where this splitting is done is a major factor. a lot of the studies seem to get the majority(if not all) their data from Cali. I've never driven there so I can't speak to what drivers are like out there.
If its in the US that would most likely be the case since its the only place in the US where lane splitting is legal.

Quote:
what I can say is that in Ga for example if someone saw you lane splitting(assuming it was legal) the probability of them crossing lanes just for the sake of spotting you from getting ahead of them is high if not a certainty. folks here are major jerks on the road. they will speed up as soon as you turn on a signal(car or bike). seriously, I'll see the car dip down from the driver hitting the accelerator hard. I could go on all day with examples of how people here will do things just so you don't get ahead of them.
I can second all that. I think I get more confused and shocked looks from drivers when I let them in, or make some other "counter intuitive" move.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #55
iamjacob
insert witty quip here

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
Quote:
indeed. that's why I'll never ride in shorts and a t-shirt. dress for the fall not the ride. no sense in turning a tiny accident into a big deal by ripping a big patch of skin off your body that otherwise would have been no big deal.
You're preaching to the choir. I have more $$$ in gear than my current bike cost me. I was just saying why some people don't.

Skin grafts are painful and expensive from what I hear.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #56
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
You're preaching to the choir. I have more $$$ in gear than my current bike cost me. I was just saying why some people don't.

Skin grafts are painful and expensive from what I hear.
better sweat than bleed...that always shuts up the idiots that ask why are you wearing all that gear when it's so hot outside..and i give them the look like, b!tch do i look like i'm riding a bicycle..why would you ask such a moronic question?
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote