follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2021, 02:09 AM   #29
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Haha.... I'm working but had some downtime. I'll come back and spend some quality time here. Will update ASAP.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #30
T_Squadrito

Drives: White 2014 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
There is definitely a large history of people doing this with no issues. But bringing it back is certainly a good starting point to see what results you arrive at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Haha.... I'm working but had some downtime. I'll come back and spend some quality time here. Will update ASAP.
Ok, I come bearing results (haha... bearing... cuz I might have a shot TOB... ok thats not funny... and yes I amuse myself). Just not sure if they are good results or not.

I adjusted the clutch back to stock. Erm.... In some ways it feels better but I think it may be because I was driving more carefully all around trying to adjust myself to the new clutch pedal travel (I am not a fan). It is certainly hard-er to replicate the problem on flat ground. I tried and it grabbed pretty quick. On hills it almost seems worse but that may be because I am still getting used to lifting my leg 20 miles in the air to let off the clutch.

I really cant tell. At first I got a false sense of hope because right after the adjustment I certainly believed it felt a lot better, but then on the hill, it was the same deal.

Results reported as of 10:16AM
T_Squadrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #31
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Squadrito View Post
Here is a few videos I composited together so you can see and listen to everything. In the last clip you will hear it during accelloration. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MYw...ew?usp=sharing
Listened carefully. All I heard out of the ordinary are the clunks at the one-minute mark. These can be damn hard to find, and could be one of any number of things loose, torn, worn...

You're doing a hill start so right away we know that you have to apply more torque than needed on a flat. That's the key. It's not the clutch, transmission or anything potentially tragic. Have to think about what flexes more than normal under torque.

If it doesn't handle wonky, we can probably rule out suspension bushings, but not entirely.

Diff mount? Driveshaft carrier mount?

If you have a nice flat place to tinker, you can park it in first and from the outside, rock the car back and forth to see if you can replicate the sound. Pop the hood and do it from the strut braces so you can see the engine rock. You will hear noise coming from normal lash so be careful not to let that trick you. It may not give us anything.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #32
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Listened carefully. All I heard out of the ordinary are the clunks at the one-minute mark. These can be damn hard to find, and could be one of any number of things loose, torn, worn...

You're doing a hill start so right away we know that you have to apply more torque than needed on a flat. That's the key. It's not the clutch, transmission or anything potentially tragic. Have to think about what flexes more than normal under torque.

If it doesn't handle wonky, we can probably rule out suspension bushings, but not entirely.

If you have a nice flat place to tinker, you can park it in first and from the outside, rock the car back and forth to see if you can replicate the sound. Pop the hood and do it from the strut braces so you can see the engine rock. You will hear noise coming from normal lash so be careful not to let that trick you. It may not give us anything.
Dzmitry was right to summon you and we thank you for your presence. Haha. But in all seriousness I will take a look later today or tomorrow. You give me hope because (and I say this knowing full well that you CAN get more miles out of a clutch) I am hoping to change the clutch in 20-40k just to restore a like new feel and get some preventative maintainance done in there while I am at it, but I am really not trying to redo a tranny or clutch right now if I can help it. Right now I am focusing on driver experience over mechanical and I must say, the driving experience is a little nervrakcing with that sound every time I am on a hill LOL.

I will rock the car later if I can. Gonna be busy tomorrow. If I notice anything I will attempt to get audio of it but one way or the other I will report back.
The Following User Says Thank You to T_Squadrito For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #33
T_Squadrito

Quote:

Ok got some audio. It IS creeking and is metallic like the sound in the initial recording. Rear drivers side wheel well. I don’t hear it on the right or front. Idk if this is THE sound but it’s A sound that could be related IMO. https://drive.google.com/file/d/15K-...w?usp=drivesdk (around the 3 second mark)

IF, and I recognize this is an if, it is the culprit, it MAY explain why it is more frequent on hills. Being that it is on an upwards incline, the car has more potential energy pulling it backwards so the car would theoretically push down more on the rear of the car, putting more strain on whatever is causing that, sound. Additionally that explains why its harder on a down hill to recreate and harder on flat because in both instances the car isn't trying to roll backwards as I try to force it forwards. I am not entirely sure why me and several others heard it from the front but if what is making that sound is connected to something that travels up the length of the car then it could be causing the sound to appear somewhere else.

Last edited by T_Squadrito; 06-20-2021 at 10:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T_Squadrito For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (06-21-2021), Ultramaroon (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #34
T_Squadrito

Quote:

Ok, got the car to the shop. They were confused as all hell and told me to come back on thursday. They said its 100% not the transmission or clutch but it is grabbing high and to expect to replace the clutch in about 15-30k miles. He said if I always drive the way we drove today then probably mid 20k more. So that takes at least some user error out of the equation. He just said my driving is fine and isn't the issue here so that makes me happy at least. He was able to replicate it and I was able to replicate it for him. He said it is definitely coming from the front passenger side and he doesnt believe the sound from the rear wheel well is really indicative of anything and doesnt feel its related to this problem. He said it doesnt sound suspension or brake related. He then proceeded to say he has never heard anything like this before based on the conditions needed to replicate it and it sounds like something rubbing but he is not really sure what would be making the noise from where he is hearing and feeling it. All that said. Hopefully I know more thursday.
Ultramaroon (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #35
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Overpipe heat shield? Creaks and groans can be a real PITA.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #36
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok, got the car to the shop. They were confused as all hell and told me to come back on thursday. They said its 100% not the transmission or clutch but it is grabbing high and to expect to replace the clutch in about 15-30k miles. He said if I always drive the way we drove today then probably mid 20k more. So that takes at least some user error out of the equation. He just said my driving is fine and isn't the issue here so that makes me happy at least. He was able to replicate it and I was able to replicate it for him. He said it is definitely coming from the front passenger side and he doesnt believe the sound from the rear wheel well is really indicative of anything and doesnt feel its related to this problem. He said it doesnt sound suspension or brake related. He then proceeded to say he has never heard anything like this before based on the conditions needed to replicate it and it sounds like something rubbing but he is not really sure what would be making the noise from where he is hearing and feeling it. All that said. Hopefully I know more thursday.
Indeed, as Ultramaroon said, sounds like these can be so time consuming and hard to pinpoint. If you have aftermarket parts up front of any kind, I would check all of them to make sure nothing is loose and clearances are all satisfactory. Then start checking all exhaust components, heat shields, metal trays and supports. I still can't wrap my head around the slippage of clutch you experience on hills... Perhaps a separate problem from this noise?
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
T_Squadrito (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #37
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Indeed, as Ultramaroon said, sounds like these can be so time consuming and hard to pinpoint. If you have aftermarket parts up front of any kind, I would check all of them to make sure nothing is loose and clearances are all satisfactory. Then start checking all exhaust components, heat shields, metal trays and supports. I still can't wrap my head around the slippage of clutch you experience on hills... Perhaps a separate problem from this noise?
He said he felt it too and he basically just said its just a result of 3 previous owners. He said its grabbing a bit high for him and thats probably what I am feeling since its not as grabby as a new clutch but he said it should make it another 20-30 fine with tame driving so I think we are good. I wanna do it as preventative as soon as I can. Just happy the unanimous consensus is that its not urgent. Not much up front changed but I did check all of my work and I got under the car and from what I could get to with the car on ramps I couldnt see anything wrang and everything seemed tight but maybe they will catch whats wrong with the luxury of a lift.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #38
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Overpipe heat shield? Creaks and groans can be a real PITA.
Yeah. I am looking forward to what they say on thursday. A bit like my message I just posted to Dzmitry, when I got under there it all seemed tightened down, possibly harder than spec but I didnt check, but either way, it's a little hard to be certain with the car just on ramps. Not the most accessible position to check things. Hopefully, with the luxury of a lift, they will be able to get a better idea than I could on my back.

Youd be proud. Lol. Dude goes, we dont really work on subarus but dont go after market on the clutch and if you do get a street clutch. Hes like, the stock clutch in this car is perfectly good 9 times out of 10. An after market one is just one headache after the next in this car. Lol. I remember you saying before not to do an after-market clutch and just focus on the slave cylinder.
Ultramaroon (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #39
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
He said he felt it too and he basically just said its just a result of 3 previous owners. He said its grabbing a bit high for him and thats probably what I am feeling since its not as grabby as a new clutch but he said it should make it another 20-30 fine with tame driving so I think we are good. I wanna do it as preventative as soon as I can. Just happy the unanimous consensus is that its not urgent. Not much up front changed but I did check all of my work and I got under the car and from what I could get to with the car on ramps I couldnt see anything wrang and everything seemed tight but maybe they will catch whats wrong with the luxury of a lift.
Hopefully! I am surprised they are ruling out suspension as well, though they could very well be correct. I am simply thinking, that creak was quite LOUD in a sense. A little too loud to be something as simple as a heatshield rub or any basic part. I would think it would more likely be some old rusty suspension or driveline component that takes a good bit of stress during initial acceleration from a stop.

EDIT: They didn't determine if it was a front SIDE or not, did they?
2nd EDIT: On second thought, listening to it again, I guess it's not TOO loud. But still has a solid grind sound to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #40
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Hopefully! I am surprised they are ruling out suspension as well, though they could very well be correct. I am simply thinking, that creak was quite LOUD in a sense. A little too loud to be something as simple as a heatshield rub or any basic part. I would think it would more likely be some old rusty suspension or driveline component that takes a good bit of stress during initial acceleration from a stop.

EDIT: They didn't determine if it was a front SIDE or not, did they?
2nd EDIT: On second thought, listening to it again, I guess it's not TOO loud. But still has a solid grind sound to it.
He said its 100% front passenger side. He said he physically feels it right under the floor boards but hes not sure whats ther that would make the sound or feeling hes feeling or hearing. He in a lot more and at the same time not so many words implied that unless toyoburu got really creative hes not sure what part of the suspension would make the combination of sound and feeling hes getting from it. Hes like, That’s not from suspension… I mean, it could be but thats not what I am getting from it in the handling and in the floor boards.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #41
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
He said its 100% front passenger side. He said he physically feels it right under the floor boards but hes not sure whats ther that would make the sound or feeling hes feeling or hearing. He in a lot more and at the same time not so many words implied that unless toyoburu got really creative hes not sure what part of the suspension would make the combination of sound and feeling hes getting from it. Hes like, That’s not from suspension… I mean, it could be but thats not what I am getting from it in the handling and in the floor boards.
Interesting. I was also going to say what if it's the wheel bearing or some component around there. In any case, we'll be curious of what you hear back on Thursday!
Old 06-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #42
T_Squadrito

Quote:
Interesting. I was also going to say what if it's the wheel bearing or some component around there. In any case, we'll be curious of what you hear back on Thursday!
Yeah I am excited to know so if nothing else we can have the sound and location on record if anyone else has a similar problem.
Ultramaroon (06-22-2021)