follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #43
etc

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sounds like a pretty cool project, that's going to be some insane power!

Sounds like his brake setup is in the realm of "anything is possible with enough talent and money" but not a bolt-on kind of deal.

Wilwoods are popular because they are very lego-like. You can go browse their site and put together rotor hats and discs and calipers and brackets to your hearts content and build a kit for just about anything. I personally love that about them. They are good calipers, they are generally race focused though so they often don't have dust seals on the calipers, because if you put enough miles on a race car for that to be an issue you will probably want to just rebuild them. Where the street brembos are designed with dust seals and normal street brake service intervals, as well as being designed for street levels NVH so less random noises and squeaks. Overall a better choice for a street car imo. Their prices are pretty reasonable though so I wouldn't consider them bling, it's just way cheaper to get a mass produced part for another street car. But compared to brembo's custom lines they are a bargin.

The STI brembos fit our car just fine but they don't match our brake bias, at-least the old gold ones the black ones maybe a bit better but weren't common years ago when I looked at this. The wrx is front heavy and the sti is balanced to have more front braking than the 86 which can cause issues. The STIs need a little rebuilding as when you mount them backwards on our cars you need to move the bleed valve to the other side to properly bleed them.

The easiest setup would be to just get the brakes from a '17+ performance pack as it is basically the setup described in this thread but factory. I have no idea how much those are going for though, if its anywhere around $1k-1.5k for all corners I would go with it.
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #44
Bripper

Drives: Brz LS3/tr6060 Whipple 2.9L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I ended up picking up some alcon 6 pistons 355x32 rotors for a great price, half cost of new. Hear great things about them in wrc and trophy truck racing

Waiting a month for my Alcon 4 piston rear 343x28mm rears to come in now

Last edited by Bripper; 08-04-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Bripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:10 PM   #45
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post
The STI brembos fit our car just fine but they don't match our brake bias
I believe this is not correct.

08+ sti rear brembos have 40mm pistons. It keeps you within 1% same bias, just like the EVO-X
ATS/BRZ STI calipers should be similar. Purely based on the ATS brembo using the same pad as the BRZ STI.

Last edited by spitsnaugle; 08-01-2019 at 09:15 PM.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #46
Bripper

Drives: Brz LS3/tr6060 Whipple 2.9L
Cool setup

Last edited by Bripper; 08-04-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Bripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:07 AM   #47
etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitsnaugle View Post
I believe this is not correct.

08+ sti rear brembos have 40mm pistons. It keeps you within 1% same bias, just like the EVO-X
ATS/BRZ STI calipers should be similar. Purely based on the ATS brembo using the same pad as the BRZ STI.
The question was the whole setup not just the rears. I did say it only applied to the golds not the blacks (08+) but you got me to look it up. The fronts are asymmetrical 40mm and 46mm (which gets back into the leading/trailing piston being backwards when you mount them on the opposite sides issue) and gets you a 4.524 piston area in the front instead of the 4.267 area. So there is a difference. I don't feel like running all the numbers again to figure out how large the difference is.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #48
Butterman

Drives: 84 944 and 2015 brz
This is a dangerous mod. Wildwood has a design guide (that I can't seem to find right now) that specifically says not to do this. Whatll happen is you pads will wear down to the point that the thickness of the unworm parts will be thicker than your rotor, they'll hit each other but not the rotor and you'll lose braking in the rear.

Besides, your bias is worse. Seems to me that you'll be spending money to make your braking worse just so your car will look sexy.

If you actually care about performance get directional vented rotors, use stock Calipers and run xp10 in the rear and xp8 in the front. Chances are your car is lowered so you'll be able to take advantage of a bit more rear bias.

I ran xp10s and Hoosier R7s last week and was still able to have abs kick in. The stock brakes on this car are good, idk why you would screw with them unless you need more heat capacity in the rotors.
Butterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #49
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I just cant really see the small portion of overhanging pad being enough to overcome the pressure of the pistons. I could see it causing uneven wear by cocking the pad at an angle in relation to the rotor when un compressed, or fracturing, splintering the actually pad contract path from the over hanging portion compressing until breaking. And yes, the red Brembos are sexy but I haven't had them on long enough to swap pads with a worn rotors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #50
etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterman View Post
This is a dangerous mod. Wildwood has a design guide (that I can't seem to find right now) that specifically says not to do this. Whatll happen is you pads will wear down to the point that the thickness of the unworm parts will be thicker than your rotor, they'll hit each other but not the rotor and you'll lose braking in the rear.

Besides, your bias is worse. Seems to me that you'll be spending money to make your braking worse just so your car will look sexy.

If you actually care about performance get directional vented rotors, use stock Calipers and run xp10 in the rear and xp8 in the front. Chances are your car is lowered so you'll be able to take advantage of a bit more rear bias.

I ran xp10s and Hoosier R7s last week and was still able to have abs kick in. The stock brakes on this car are good, idk why you would screw with them unless you need more heat capacity in the rotors.

These statements are incorrect and already addressed in this thread. The pads don't have enough material to touch, the bias is not worse, heat capacity is the only real reason to increase rotor size for most applications.

If you have something constructive to add that's cool, if you just want to spread FUD try that elsewhere please.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:58 PM   #51
Butterman

Drives: 84 944 and 2015 brz
My statement is not false. Some brz rear rotors are 18mm, the Carbotechs are approximately 10mm, not worth the risk, especially on the race track. Bias is worse, calculations to come in another post.
Butterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 PM   #52
etc

This doesn't use brz rear rotors, this uses STI rear rotors. They are a larger diameter as well. There is also only one rotor I know this works with the DBA4000 because it is STI but dual drilled for our 5x100 pattern (that we share with the '04 STI). That really takes all the variability out of this.

This whole thing just feels a lot like you didn't read this thread but really want to jump in anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etc For This Useful Post:
15limited (01-24-2020), Summerwolf (05-03-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #53
vijay.dy06

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Pmed you.

vijay.dy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #54
whisper
Remember

Drives: Supercharged BRZ
Hi, thanks for all the work and info. Was anyone able to test the DBA (or any other) rotors that would eliminate the pad overhang? Thanks.
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #55
vijay.dy06

Drives: Red BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There is still overhang with the DBA STI 316mm rotor. I used it for awhile. Luckily I have solved the overhang issue........ kind of. So as of today I am using a 350z/G35 Brembo package 322mm rotor. The dimensions are within 1-2mm of the DBA dimensions. Only issue that I ran into is not being able to use the brake drum setup which kind of sucks, but I'm running a rear dual caliper set up that required deletion of the drum setup anyway. You must also convert to 5x114 or redrill the rotor to 5x100 and should also use hubcentric spacers Subaru 58ish mm (face of hub where the rotors sit on not where the wheels sit) to Nissan 67.1 mm hub bore.. See the crappy photos.

vijay.dy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:11 PM   #56
DBA-ZC6
New in the town

Drives: MY17 BRZ GT manual
DBA43051S-10??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15limited View Post
Anybody have luck finding rotors to eat up the extra pad hangoff? I'm having a hell of a time even finding 08+ sti hat offset to put on a slightly larger disk.
Thanks for the post.
Recently I purchased a pair of EVO X rear calipers.
I'm looking into fitting the 326mm rear rotors for kouki(MY18 onwards WRX STI).
If the pads are sitting 5mm away from the lip of the 316mm rotor, then why not the 326mm rear rotors?
DBA43051S-10 is the part number.
Attached Images

DBA-ZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brembo, retrofit