follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-29-2021, 07:45 PM   #29
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HKS LA Clutch 26010-AT001

I've ordered an HKS LA clutch(clutch & flywheel kit) to replace my OEM clutch/flywheel. Still waiting for delivery. Will update review after install.
Details are found here:https://www.hksusa.com/products/26010/AT001/1223
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
botbs (02-19-2021), Swisher Seattle (10-22-2022)
Old 01-31-2021, 08:20 PM   #30
Enigmeerkat
Enigmeerkat

Drives: 2015 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Clutch: Xtreme Stage 1 - Sprung Organic Clutch - 1A
SC/T/NA: Naturally Aspirated
MI/KM: 1,000 kms / 621 miles
Power/TQ: ~160kW (maybe)
Lockout: No Issues
Stiffness: Medium
DD?: Yes, but after you've adjusted muscle memory
Would you buy again: Yes
Review: A lot stiffer than OEM, but much more in line with a street spec. A cheap but solid upgrade from stock, although does require some time to get used to the totally different foot-feel. Much narrower play-point, less foot travel required.
- PSR UEL Header, Invidia R400 Catback
- Whiteline Swaybars, 18" ROH Blue Evo R
Enigmeerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #31
OtherDude

Drives: 2020 BRZ, 2019 Veloster N
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotw View Post
I've ordered an HKS LA clutch(clutch & flywheel kit) to replace my OEM clutch/flywheel. Still waiting for delivery. Will update review after install.
Details are found here:https://www.hksusa.com/products/26010/AT001/1223
Did this ever get installed? Looking to get this myself in advance of going supercharged...
OtherDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #32
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherDude View Post
Did this ever get installed? Looking to get this myself in advance of going supercharged...
I did. Overall it was good and the clutch held the power well. But the lightweight flywheel paired with additional drag on the engine from the S/C make the clutch engagement very challenging and resulted in many stalls. I'm not sure its worth the additional premium over another manufacturer clutch. I sold the vehicle after 600miles on the clutch. So I didn't get any data from hard driving on track. Just street miles. My overall impression of street miles was it was more difficult to drive due to the flywheel. I actually think this setup would pair better with a NA build.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
botbs (01-19-2022)
Old 08-10-2021, 06:20 PM   #33
MR2Dave
Poop train conductor

Drives: 2015 BRZ Ice Silver Metallic
Clutch: Competition Stage 2 (OEM flywheel)
SC/T/NA: Works Stage 2 Turbo
MI/KM: 1800 Mi
Power/TQ: 231/215 wheel
Lockout: N
Stiffness: Med
DD?: Y
Would you buy again: Y
Review: Works recommended an Exedy Stage 1 but couldn't get one on short notice and this was what they could get fast. It needs about 500 miles to bed in before you can beat on it. Of course you notice the heavier pedal right away, and while bedding in it was grabby at times. After some time to recalibrate the muscle memory, the quicker engagement is welcome and I don't really notice the extra pedal weight. It works fine in traffic and doesn't chatter when slipping it at low speed so backing out of a parking space carefully isn't an ordeal. Handles more torque than I'll ever make. IF I manage to wear this out, I'll probably still go with the Exedy next time if only for the lower price.
tldr; It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be at first, and I like it after getting used to it.
MR2Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #34
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Clutch: South Bend Stage 2 Daily
SC/T/NA: SC + E85
MI/KM: ~500 miles
Power/TQ: Never measured, but I suspect I'm around 300 hp at the crank and who knows what the torque is.
Lockout: None
Stiffness: It's been long enough that I have trouble remembering what OEM found like, but I think it's essentially like OEM, perhaps a bit lighter.
DD?: Absolutely
Review: I'm still within the break-in period so I haven't had a chance to really test it out, but the feel and travel is great for regular around-town driving.
EDIT - Several thousand miles now since the install and, after adjusting and getting used to the bite point, the clutch is great. I was most concerned about staying as close to OEM as I could and I believe that has been well achieved.

Last edited by vfrqqq; 01-15-2022 at 12:19 PM.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vfrqqq For This Useful Post:
Dustin2JZ (01-04-2022)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #35
funkjaw

Drives: 16' WWB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Clutch: ACT XT/Perf Street Sprung Clutch Kit - SB7-XTSS - Streetlite Flywheel (11.8lbs)
SC/T/NA: NA
MI/KM: ~4000 miles
Power/TQ: E85 210whp
Stiffness: Mild to moderately stiffer than OEM
DD?: Yes
Any issues: TB that came with kit made noise, had a shop replace with OEM TB and issue solved.
Review: I love this clutch kit! I had very little chatter or issues related to this being a lightweight flywheel with zero problems daily driving it for myself or wife. I honestly feel this is the best complete package on the market hands down if you don't need more than a 351ft/lb torque capacity.

Last edited by funkjaw; 10-06-2021 at 11:58 AM.
funkjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:58 AM   #36
CoopBRZ

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
I'm looking at the new Xclutch 9.5" Organic clutch as a new high-torque daily driver option. Does anyone have any experience with this clutch, or Xclutch products in general? Thanks in advance!
CoopBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #37
localhost

Drives: Edelbrock SC 2015 FR-S 6MT
There's a lot of people in here who are running the South Bend Stage 2 Daily and seem to be happy with it. My question is, is that clutch actually any different from an OEM setup considering that almost everyone says it's just like OEM, if not maybe even a bit softer.

Might be a stupid question, but how do you know that clutch is actually doing what it says it'll do - especially with that 315ft-lbs rating?

Asking because I'm looking for a clutch, and that one almost seems to good to be true: basically OEM feel but holds over double the torque doesn't quite add up to me.
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:13 PM   #38
GPhilly

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ (Edelbrock SC)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost View Post
There's a lot of people in here who are running the South Bend Stage 2 Daily and seem to be happy with it. My question is, is that clutch actually any different from an OEM setup considering that almost everyone says it's just like OEM, if not maybe even a bit softer.

Might be a stupid question, but how do you know that clutch is actually doing what it says it'll do - especially with that 315ft-lbs rating?

Asking because I'm looking for a clutch, and that one almost seems to good to be true: basically OEM feel but holds over double the torque doesn't quite add up to me.
I could be wrong but I think people want to retain the OEM feel at higher HP. The stock clutches cant handle much around 280whp so people upgrade to SB clutches to handle that power and feel similar to stock.
GPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #39
localhost

Drives: Edelbrock SC 2015 FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhilly View Post
I could be wrong but I think people want to retain the OEM feel at higher HP. The stock clutches cant handle much around 280whp so people upgrade to SB clutches to handle that power and feel similar to stock.
I realize that and I completely agree, but my question is more "how do we know that the SB clutch actually does what it claims" since they make some pretty bold claims that it holds over double the factory torque while feeling basically exactly the same as the OEM clutch. More holding capacity with 0 added effort doesn't really add up to me, is my main problem. Especially for something that holds double the factory torque, I'd expect at least slightly heavier clutch than what people are claiming.
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:06 PM   #40
Mars

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Clutch: Southbend Stage 2 Daily Clutch
SC/T/NA: Naturally Aspirated w/ Stage 2+ OFT tune/catless uel headers
MI/KM: ~14,000 miles
Power/TQ: Slightly higher than stock (probably only +20hp & +20tq)
Lockout: No Issues
Stiffness: Slightly stiffer than OEM
DD?: I do but with some knee pain (could be that I'm 6'4")
Review: Got the stage 2 w/ OEM flywheel and reinforced pivot ball and fork plus updated TOB when my motor blew a while back. Went with stage 2 because I enjoy the occasional clutch kick, and its perfect for DD'ing while beating on the car a little. Only drawback is the engagement "zone" feels a lot narrower than stock but you get used to it. Honestly it drives better the more aggressive you are with the clutch. About 2 yrs, and 14k miles later I've probably done 50+ clutch kicks and way more aggressive shifting and I don't feel any issues with the clutch.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #41
happyshlappy

Drives: Brz 2013
Clutch: South bend stage 2 daily
SC/T/NA: NA
MI/KM: 1k
Power/TQ: Stock motor
Lockout: 5th gear slight grind during blip from 6th to 5th
Stiffness: Med
DD?: Yes
Would you buy again: YES
Review: Feels a bit grabbier than OEM. As other people have said it just takes a bit more deliberate use to be smooth but feels great, especially for the torque ratings.
happyshlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:06 PM   #42
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Clutch: Southbend Stage 3 Daily
SC/T/NA: Turbo
MI/KM: 2000
Power/TQ: 400/300
Stiffness: Feels stock
DD?: Not my daily, would daily without a question
Review: Extremely simple to modulate. Less effort than my previous Exedy Stage 1 clutch, which is surprising. I use this with a Fidanza 10.6lb flywheel and it's a dream.