follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
zze86

Drives: AE86, AP1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can I get some help with some technical measurements?

Hoping to appeal to some of you guys who have their engine apart and get some technical measurements. I'm considering using the FRS trans for a old RWD platform. Right now I'm thinking of trying to custom cast a bellhousing and wanted some measurements

clutch overall diameter and thickness
clutch fork/lever throw distance
clutch Throw out Bearing travel distance
trans mating surface of the engine block to the friction surface of the flywheel

TIA!

Last edited by zze86; 06-10-2021 at 10:14 AM.
zze86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I know this isn't what you asked, but I think you'd be better off with a different unit. This transmission is pretty glass.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
zze86

Thanks for the reply! I hear you on the strength issue and it was part of the consideration early on.

I'm targeting torque levels at ~150 lbf-ft so should be inline with a lightly modded FA20. Tire size will be narrow at 205-225MAX so shouldn't be too much resistance on the other end.

The nice thing about the Twins' trans is that they're light, relatively cheap, and common now. Plus, I really like how the shift feel on them. Amongst the best, right up there with the S2K and Miata. I'll be picking up a low mileage manual from a wreck this weekend for just over $300(!!) but doubt it'll come with any clutch parts. There's another one I'm eyeing for a spare that is nearby for not much more.

Was hoping to get some measurements without having to actually buy a new clutch since I may not use it. The measurement from back of engine - trans mating surface to flywheel friction surface would be really helpful!
Old 06-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zze86 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I hear you on the strength issue and it was part of the consideration early on.

I'm targeting torque levels at ~150 lbf-ft so should be inline with a lightly modded FA20. Tire size will be narrow at 205-225MAX so shouldn't be too much resistance on the other end.

The nice thing about the Twins' trans is that they're light, relatively cheap, and common now. Plus, I really like how the shift feel on them. Amongst the best, right up there with the S2K and Miata. I'll be picking up a low mileage manual from a wreck this weekend for just over $300(!!) but doubt it'll come with any clutch parts. There's another one I'm eyeing for a spare that is nearby for not much more.

Was hoping to get some measurements without having to actually buy a new clutch since I may not use it. The measurement from back of engine - trans mating surface to flywheel friction surface would be really helpful!
Well, I have an LS in my car so I can't actually help with measurements, but I'm glad you put plenty of thought into it. There's definitely something to be said for affordability and cost of replacement

Old 06-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
zze86: maybe not as light as stock twins gearbox, but imho trannies of something like 350z or mustangs are way more numerous, cheaper and can handle more torque ..
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #6
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
zze86: maybe not as light as stock twins gearbox, but imho trannies of something like 350z or mustangs are way more numerous, cheaper and can handle more torque ..
I dunno about cheaper. Transmissions can be had for literaly 300$from the twins. Gonna be hard to beat that. Probably worth more as scrap right now

Old 06-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #7
zze86

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
They are definitely stronger but also definitely not as pocket friendly. CD009 are ~2x to 3x the cost of the Twins' trans.

As well, the gear ratios are a bit off for mating to a low torque 4-cyl engine. On the CD009, the ratios are spread ~5% wider apart than the Twins'.

Finally, the CD009 shifter feel isn't as nice as the FRS. The stang's shift feel is crap and those were never a consideration.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #8
zze86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Well, I have an LS in my car so I can't actually help with measurements, but I'm glad you put plenty of thought into it. There's definitely something to be said for affordability and cost of replacement

yeah, a bit of thought went into what I wanted out of the vehicle and big power wasn't it. Have had those and, for the streets, it's kind of useless except to impress girls and cops. With wife and kids, impressing girls is no longer a concern, impressing cops too much is always a concern and track time is *ahem* shall we say limited? so big power isn't a priority.

Good shifter feel, easy and inexpensive to source parts was/is top priority.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,306 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I could probably get you bearing travel distance and clutch fork travel distance off my spare transmission. My junk engine doesn't have a clutch on it so I don't have that info. Won't be till tomorrow, I am busy tonight.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #10
zze86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I could probably get you bearing travel distance and clutch fork travel distance off my spare transmission. My junk engine doesn't have a clutch on it so I don't have that info. Won't be till tomorrow, I am busy tonight.
Whenever is convenient for you but that would be awesome!

Thanks!