follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2021, 12:13 AM   #43
TacticalFats

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As for the pedal dance, I don't think you need to do that on 2017+. Long press the left button behind the shifter till the light comes on. Presto, suicide mode.
TacticalFats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TacticalFats For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #44
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
People complain about the stereo/speakers so much in this car... sure, it's not the best but try the speakers in the current VW GTI. You'll appreciate what we got haha.
My 2007 Yaris had a better system. A sub makes it better, but switching out the head unit should be the first thing anyone that like audio does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Car manufacturers should not be in the radio business at all. Just give me a double-din hole and I'll fill it with an aftermarket unit that does 10x as much for a 10th of the price.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
they aren't. They buy it from actual audio makers and just put their own name on it.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-22-2021), p1l0t (03-03-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 02:03 PM   #45
ymshulman

Drives: '17 BRZ
@Sphinx, have you figured out any ideas for making the seat better? I'm in the same boat ('17 Limited), 5'6" and could stand to gain a few - so it's not about weight. But maybe about height?

I've been wondering about finding a thin cushion with a very slight wedge, thinking that riding higher in the seat might also be better for lumbar.

As for the sound - I'm quite frustrated with it, and would like to do some sound deadening (a little hesitant to begin with that project, I've never done anything like it. Would love to pay someone to help me with it, but shops will charge me a fortune.)

One thing I did find that was better was bypassing both Bluetooth and Aux for my sound: If you use an iPhone, there's an option for iPods that pulls the audio in via the dock connector. That works on the iPhone (make sure you have Apple Music loaded with at least one song in the library, it needs that to trigger the dock connector, but once loaded it will route all media through that connector.) Caveat - the '17 doesn't have CarPlay, so that's not even an option/consideration for me.
ymshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ymshulman For This Useful Post:
Sphinx (07-24-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:31 PM   #46
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymshulman View Post
@Sphinx, have you figured out any ideas for making the seat better? I'm in the same boat ('17 Limited), 5'6" and could stand to gain a few - so it's not about weight. But maybe about height?

I've been wondering about finding a thin cushion with a very slight wedge, thinking that riding higher in the seat might also be better for lumbar.

As for the sound - I'm quite frustrated with it, and would like to do some sound deadening (a little hesitant to begin with that project, I've never done anything like it. Would love to pay someone to help me with it, but shops will charge me a fortune.)

One thing I did find that was better was bypassing both Bluetooth and Aux for my sound: If you use an iPhone, there's an option for iPods that pulls the audio in via the dock connector. That works on the iPhone (make sure you have Apple Music loaded with at least one song in the library, it needs that to trigger the dock connector, but once loaded it will route all media through that connector.) Caveat - the '17 doesn't have CarPlay, so that's not even an option/consideration for me.
I second this. About a month ago, I played music from my iPhone through a docked connection for the first time. Ever since then everything sounds better. I have a weak spot for Blue Monday and Channel 33 plays it all the time. When I set the volume above 16 I can actually feel the music now from under my seat. Something changed ever since I played music through my docked phone.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:54 PM   #47
ymshulman

Drives: '17 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
Just picked up an 18 BRZ Anniversary. Drove it 800 miles to get it home. Initial impressions: 1) why is the stereo so terrible? 2) why are the gauges so hard to see during the day time? and 3) why is there little thigh support in the lower seat cushion? 800 miles hurt my hamstrings.

Otherwise, seems like a good, fun car. Looking forward to taking it to the track! (Been reading about the pedal dance).
@Sphinx I was just told that as you raise the seat, it tilts forward and you lose thigh support. It changes from 15 to 19 degrees as you lower it. So keeping the seat lower might be a worthwhile trade-off to get thigh support.
ymshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ymshulman For This Useful Post:
Sphinx (07-24-2021)
Old 12-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #48
Lav

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
most people lather it on like shaving cream.

the real trick is to deaden the floppy panels.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...ostcount=22629

Is this true just for making your speakers sound better? Or does this also apply if you're trying to make it quieter in the car from road/wind/tire noise

As a layman about to do this I'm tempted to do it like #1

Edit: I ended up doing it like #2. Out of lazyness more than anything else. I'm gonna measure it now

Edit with update "measurements" on a Samsung S20 FE with some app. 76db going 70mph with the seats up became 73db going 70mph with the seats up. Seats down measurements were basically the same, and 80mph the measurements were basically the same. I am very wary of "placebo-ing" myself, but listening to afunkydiabetic on youtube (a talker) I find myself setting the volume in the 30s now instead of the 50s. This is true months later. I used to always have volume in the 50s with my phone volume all the way up. Subjectively it seems quite a bit quieter.

However, I wish I had done CCF + MLV at this point as I have recently rediscovered music.

Last edited by Lav; 04-13-2022 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Originally said "do it like #2" when i meant #1. And an update
Lav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 12:30 PM   #49
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav View Post
Is this true just for making your speakers sound better? Or does this also apply if you're trying to make it quieter in the car from road/wind/tire noise

As a layman about to do this I'm tempted to do it like #1

Edit: I ended up doing it like #2. Out of lazyness more than anything else. I'm gonna measure it now
I think the fact that these cars are tinny is what makes most of the difference in sound. In 1 week I can drive my BRZ, my WRX, my wife’s IS300 or my daughters RDX. I can tell you that the music is better in both the Lexus and Acura because the road noise is significantly less. They may have a better system as well, but I know I can’t hear the music as well in the BRZ and WRX because of road noise and exhaust.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote