follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #15
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGT86Racer View Post
AFAIK Ohlins only make a two-piece shock design for this platform - at least that's all I've been able to find from the shops that sell customized versions of them.
The SUS MP21S1 is a one piece front design. The older Ohlins for this platform used to be both 2 piece.

Pics:

Old 06-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #16
Yzu

Drives: RS1.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My MCS 2-Way with 9k(F) 11k(R) ride miles better than my Tein Street Flex I replaced.
Yzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
The SUS MP21S1 is a one piece front design. The older Ohlins for this platform used to be both 2 piece.

Pics:

Only one pic showing the two piece design.

Xida/949 is two piece as well, even on the Miatas the lower mount is threaded. It's not the devil and everything has some form of compromise, even $10k Penske's aren't magic.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #18
Goingnowherefast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzu View Post
My MCS 2-Way with 9k(F) 11k(R) ride miles better than my Tein Street Flex I replaced.
This is a good thing to point out too. Motorsport grade coilovers tend to actually ride very well. Another anecdotal data point, my 800 lbs/in spring Xidas rode miles better than my 400 lbs/in Bilsteins in my Miata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Only one pic showing the two piece design.

Xida/949 is two piece as well, even on the Miatas the lower mount is threaded. It's not the devil and everything has some form of compromise, even $10k Penske's aren't magic.
The difference of 1 vs 2 piece is that in a one 1 piece design the length of the shock is the entire body, where as on a 2 piece design the shock body does not extend the full length. In that example on the right you can see the Ohlins front shock is the entire length, where as on the left it is not. That's 1 piece vs. 2 piece. To your point though, exactly right. Everything is a compromise and you don't always benefit from increased shock travel at a certain point.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #19
strat61caster
-

Quote:
The difference of 1 vs 2 piece is that in a one 1 piece design the length of the shock is the entire body, where as on a 2 piece design the shock body does not extend the full length. In that example on the right you can see the Ohlins front shock is the entire length, where as on the left it is not. That's 1 piece vs. 2 piece.
The suspension mounting point is threaded and adjustable on both dampers pictured, no different from a BC Megan or Tein which also have the damper body go past the strut mount, they just don't waste money cnc machining a strut mount and instead weld steel together for the necessary features. The picture you show is no different from the 'old' design either.

By your definition Tein, BC, Megan, etc. are all '1-piece' fronts.

Edit: adding tein;

Old 06-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #20
Goingnowherefast

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The suspension mounting point is threaded and adjustable on both dampers pictured, no different from a BC Megan or Tein which also have the damper body go past the strut mount, they just don't waste money cnc machining a strut mount and instead weld steel together for the necessary features. The picture you show is no different from the 'old' design either.

By your definition Tein, BC, Megan, etc. are all '1-piece' fronts.

Edit: adding tein;

That's fair. The difference is that those brands you mentioned use a china shock cartridge that wasn't designed for the application and is likely way shorter (therefore having decreased travel). For some more anecdotal data, there was nearly 15% more total shock travel on my RCE T2's than my FEAL 441's for the reason stated when I tested them side by side.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:44 PM   #21
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
I have been on my RCE SS-1s for about 3 months and they are great. The ride is similar to OEM but the handling is spot on; zero body roll. I’m in the middle with dampening and haven’t even thought about changing it.

For $1,500, they’re tough to beat, IMO.
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrahmaBull1990 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #22
AngelGT86Racer

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 Acura TL 5AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
That's fair. The difference is that those brands you mentioned use a china shock cartridge that wasn't designed for the application and is likely way shorter (therefore having decreased travel). For some more anecdotal data, there was nearly 15% more total shock travel on my RCE T2's than my FEAL 441's for the reason stated when I tested them side by side.

The silver ones are Megan track coilovers. I had those at one point and I think they had the shortest front shaft I've ever seen on any car suspension - so that "one-piece" design intended on preserving usable length and travel was pretty much wasted on those coilovers.
AngelGT86Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #23
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
The price completely threw me off too. It's just a not a super popular coilover as it's never really advertised which must be the reason they are discounted so deeply. If you look for these coilovers on different sites, they are still showing the MSRP of roughly $900.
Yeah, looks like the ST are back from $527.40 to $879.00. Whatever that was, it ended today it seems.

Quote:
These coils also require you to reuse your OEM top hats which do add comfort over the metal camber plates I'm sure you're previous coils came with.
Damn it. I sold those. I'll take a look at the XT and XTA models and weight those versus shelling out the extra $1000 for KW or Ohlins. I mean, at this point, if an extra $1000 is the price for peace of mind and my car becoming less sketchy and less annoying to drive, then it's what I'll gonna have to do to do it right and never have to worry about it again.

Quote:
A lot of companies buy the Bor Chun "shells", give them a pretty color scheme, slap their logo on it and sell it for $700 more than BC to support their company. HOWEVER, some of these companies do quality test all the Bor Chun shells they receive so that you don't get any defective units.
Son of a beach... What a bunch of crooks. I wish I would have known this invaluable information beforehand. Wish I would've went the extra $400 and went with the KW or Ohlins instead of RS*R. I am very angry. But I have no one to blame but myself for not doing enough research.

Quote:
The main difference between KW and ST is that KW bodies are made with Stainless steel, whereas ST have zinc plated steel bodies.
Thanks for this comparison. Honestly, I might just go for the KW V3 or Ohlins. Really hard to beat the "you get what you pay for" statement when you've already failed twice due to going cheap. Now its a matter of deciding which one of those two, I guess. Part of me is just dreading getting the XT or XTA and it not working out. Third time's usually the charm, though, but I might have to go all out to make it happen.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #24
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrahmaBull1990 View Post
I have been on my RCE SS-1s for about 3 months and they are great. The ride is similar to OEM but the handling is spot on; zero body roll. I’m in the middle with dampening and haven’t even thought about changing it.

For $1,500, they’re tough to beat, IMO.
Hmmm, this one is appealing too. I'm seeing KW pop up once more, along with "affordable", both of which appeal to me as it seems like I'd be getting quality for a good deal, but then that begs the question of what is the compromise that RCE SS-1 has that the KW V3 doesn't suffer from?
Old 06-02-2021, 12:01 AM   #25
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
I think this thread has completely derailed itself with this pedantic 1piece vs 2piece conversation. The type of coilover means less than the quality and internal damping characteristics. With Ohlins/KW/Xidas etc you're paying for what's inside (as well as the build quality) over any of the BC based systems.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
therealstoly (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 03:41 AM   #26
ACT86

Drives: English, French, Swedish & Japanese
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Also keen to know the coilovers that provide the best comfort / performance / price. Won’t be tracking the car so was thinking of giving the Bilstein B14s a go.
ACT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #27
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
Hmmm, this one is appealing too. I'm seeing KW pop up once more, along with "affordable", both of which appeal to me as it seems like I'd be getting quality for a good deal, but then that begs the question of what is the compromise that RCE SS-1 has that the KW V3 doesn't suffer from?
KW V3 has stainless bodies while RCE SS-1 has Zinc bodies like the STs. But considering the engineers over at RCE are experts with our car's suspensions, and the SS-1 is like $600 cheaper, I'd opt for the ss-1.

Only major difference would be a possibly higher spring rate on the SS-1, meaning they could possibly be more track oriented than the KW V3.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #28
strat61caster
-

Ss1 is single adjustable and v3 is double adjustable.

If it's not seeing track/autox then the softer spring rates and oe top hats are a better fit.