follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #127
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Meh... The engine will go poo. lol
Really? Cause when I worked for the state and drove fleet vehicles, I had an Uplander that went over 200k miles on only maintenance items. Only at about 190k did it need some front end work that amounted to about 1500 bucks. Also had an Impala that was at 150k with no issues at all. Plenty of other cars from coworkers and other people that had no real problems, too.

Meanwhile, I just had to replace the water pump on my Camry at 55k because it started leaking. Thank god I didn't get the previous generation, because it seems up until 2006 they had problems with the 2AZ-FE engine stripping out head bolts.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #128
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Man, GM designers are out to fucking lunch...first the C7 corvette that looks like a Camaro mated with a 599, and had a slightly retarded offspring. Then they shoot themselves in the foot with this ugly ass design. Seriously, I get the brand recognition thing and cars of the same marque having similar design cues, but picking the Camaro as your source of identity is laughable...retro-cool cars died in the early 2000's.

Ford on the other hand is looking promising with their designs, I'm not a fan of the new Fusion, but it is way better than any other American manufacturer as far as econo boxes are concerned.

It's nice that they want to compete with the FRS/BRZ, but as far as i can tell the only people that would consider that car would be GM fans that have some sort of need to own GM products.
Bare in mind the concept of subjectivity-- your 'tone' seems to suggest you don't consider it an invariable here.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #129
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

I wish they were able to use the Tru140S over the Code 130R, but I understand why they couldn't... packaging and whatnot with RWD.

Therefore, mid engine two seater!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #130
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
I wish they were able to use the Tru140S over the Code 130R, but I understand why they couldn't... packaging and whatnot with RWD.

As a former GM employee I still have friends and all the sudden I got a message yesterday that said hey "engineers dropped off a turbo fiero formula. Asked us to test it and see what changes need to be made to make it marketable as a new car." I would love a turbo v6 mid engine light weight car. If done correctly and but cost a boat load this thing could be amazing but it's years away from the way they made it sound.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #131
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Garage
The box look may look fine on a camaro, and perhaps they MAY get away with it on the new vette. But on a 2 door coupe? Hell no, what ever happened to smooth lines and finesse? This car is like the junkie couson nobody talks about and completely disowns.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #132
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Good Lord there's a lot of bad information in this thread.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #133
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Whoa there. That looks good, except for that pig snout.

@Dimman well of course, Chinese people think anything domestic is crap, anything German or American is good, and anything Japanese is evil whether or not it's good or bad. I think the domestic makes tend to use Toyota longblocks with a different engine management system, usually Bosch because it's German. Hmmm...mix of unreliable German electronics and reliable Japanese motor, wonder if they end up being more or less reliable than the full German cars XD Funny story: one time I saw a military license plate Lexus. Whichever PLA general that was, he knows his cars
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Dimman (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #134
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
"engineers dropped off a turbo fiero formula. Asked us to test it and see what changes need to be made to make it marketable as a new car." I would love a turbo v6 mid engine light weight car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Whoa there. That looks good, except for that pig snout.
The crazy huge C-pillar needs work too. But it could become something good. Fingers crossed.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #135
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
The crazy huge C-pillar needs work too. But it could become something good. Fingers crossed.
They've repainted it twice I think to show off at different venues. That was Paris. It's debut was matte white in Detroit last year, if I remember correctly.

Built on the Cruze platform. A very real possibility.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #136
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Really? Cause when I worked for the state and drove fleet vehicles, I had an Uplander that went over 200k miles on only maintenance items. Only at about 190k did it need some front end work that amounted to about 1500 bucks. Also had an Impala that was at 150k with no issues at all. Plenty of other cars from coworkers and other people that had no real problems, too.

Meanwhile, I just had to replace the water pump on my Camry at 55k because it started leaking. Thank god I didn't get the previous generation, because it seems up until 2006 they had problems with the 2AZ-FE engine stripping out head bolts.
I'm going out on personal experience. I remember my parents having a white (one of those pedo looking vans) from chevy and the car took a shit on us when my dad took it to Vegas.

I might have made a quick judgment (because my uncle has a chevy now for work purposes. Its a big o' white van that can sit 10 people if he wanted to add seats in it) which I do apologize for.

Also got a Ford windstar and that thing decides to shut off mid drive. Has happened several times. Quite scary as well.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #137
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Also got a Ford windstar and that thing decides to shut off mid drive. Has happened several times. Quite scary as well.
Man, my parents rented a Ford Taurus that managed to leak its entire tank of fuel onto the floor in 3 hours while we were sightseeing. Since then, I have feared for my life every time I sat in a Ford.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Giccin (01-22-2013), tech4pdx (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #138
VSGTS14
987 Motorsports

Drives: '13 WO FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhound View Post
Off-topic, but you should probably change that to "other companies make a better product, but an uneducated consumer base still continues to buy the obsolete machine" :P

BACK ON TOPIC:

*sigh* The usual domestic hate coupled by misguided notions that American cars only go straight. :/ While that has been largely true for most of the US's car history, GM especially has been trying to change how people view American cars. The CTS-V and Corvette ZR1 have been reviewed to be just as able in the corners as most other European Halo Cars. The presenters of BBC's Top Gear especially have exclaimed how they've almost surpassed European marques.

The Corvette ZR1 especially can be considered the FR-S/BRZ/GT86 of the Super Car world, because it's fairly simplistic, is actually available with a proper manual stick, and much less expensive that other foreign cars while still being faster than them. The whole "leaf springs" thing is a misconception of how Top Gear reviewed the Corvette C5, not the current C6 which uses double wishbone suspension. Even so, the choice of using leaf springs and other older technologies was to cut the cost while engineering them in a way that they could still provide impressive cornering. The C7 is probably going to be the final nail in the coffin, since it's slated to be made entirely of carbon fiber.

All of these things together, point to this new Chevy being an able competitor against the twins. It all just depends on how much effort they put into it, because they do have the potential to build something to surpass the twins.
i was a chevy dealer for 21 years. i love them. they still have not hit the import market though. the cobalt ss was a fail. i love duramax's.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #139
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSGTS14 View Post
i was a chevy dealer for 21 years. i love them. they still have not hit the import market though. the cobalt ss was a fail. i love duramax's.
How was the Cobalt SS a fail? Especially the SS/TC
Old 01-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #140
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
How was the Cobalt SS a fail? Especially the SS/TC
lipstick on a pig. It was really performant but everything else was bad. My friend has one and never seen somebody with so much problem with a car.. I dont know where to start but the last thing he had was a loose bolt in the cam cover.. The guides broke. Abyssmal built quality and resale value. Didnt want to start on random occasions. I really wanted to like the car,seriously.