follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2021, 02:52 AM   #71
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
Since this idea seems to be confusing, let me simplify it. Do you like watermelons? I sure hope so because I will use those as an example.
Awesome storytelling!
You've used the word "watermelon" so many times that that GMail marked the email notification about your post as Spam.
timurrrr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Veloist (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 02:55 AM   #72
puppers

Drives: Model 3 Performance + X
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Uhm, I thoroughly enjoyed that story and have the sudden urge to get watermelons and put down more deposits to get my Neptune blue premium.

Thanks!! ��
puppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #73
LanceLane174

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WRB, MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Best story ever. If these guys don't get it after reading that then I'm not sure what to tell you.
LanceLane174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #74
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
A different way of saying it is: Toyota dealers are franchises and each has a degree of discretion they can use in the operation of their business.

Just because Toyota says or does A or B, doesn't mean a franchises will follow A or B. However, among a group of 10 franchises, 9 franchises might all do A or B, making it appear that Toyota franchises all operate in the same way, but that isn't true.

Alternatively, Toyota might not say anything, but franchises take action on their own, making it seem as though this is a directive or policy of Toyota, when it isn't.

I have no idea if Toyota formally endorses reservations, deposits, or other forms of "pre-sales."
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:08 PM   #75
puppers

Drives: Model 3 Performance + X
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
puppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puppers For This Useful Post:
Veloist (11-20-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 12:10 AM   #76
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you make it seem that you still think we are placing deposits for a physical thing, in this case, a car. We are placing deposits for the spot in line when an allocation becomes available.

Since this idea seems to be confusing, let me simplify it. Do you like watermelons? I sure hope so because I will use those as an example.

Two farmers each have their own watermelon vineyards. A watermelon seed distributor gives each farmer some seeds to grow a batch. It is approaching peak watermelon season. Many people in the village are ready for the watermelons. The watermelon seed company tells the villagers that their local farmers’ watermelons should be ready soon. A few villagers go to farmer A and ask if this is true.

Villager: “Hey farmer A, are your watermelons ready?”
Farmer A: Almost! I will have a few ready to go in a few weeks.

Another villager says: “Oh golly I love watermelons. I would like to get the very first watermelon in your next batch”

Farmer A Says: “is that right? Well okay. These watermelons will cost $10. Give me $1 in advance and I will make sure you are the first one to know when the watermelon is ready”

Another villager says: “I want one of your first watermelons too, but I want mine to have wider light green stripes than the darker green stripes”

Farmer A says “sure, give me $1 now and pay the rest later and I will make sure you’re the first one to get a watermelon with wider light green stripes than dark green stripes”

A completely different villager notices Farmer A is getting lots of deposits from people who want the watermelons as soon as they’re cut from the vine. So as a result he turns to Farmer B.

Villager: hey farmer B I would like your first watermelon. Can I give you $1 in advance to be able to get your first watermelon.

farmer b: No. just come back when you think the watermelons are ready. I don’t have the time or want to put in the effort to make an ordered list of people who want my watermelons when they’re not even ready.

Villager: but didn’t the same watermelon seed company as farmer A give you those seeds as well? How come he is taking deposits on his watermelons and you are not?

Farmer B: do I look like farmer A to you? Sure we have the same watermelon seeds from the same company, but I have my way of doing things and he has his way of doing things.

Villager: oh I see. Thanks for explaining.

Later that week the a group of villagers are in the town square talking about how excited they are for their watermelons. Suddenly another villager comes in and says:

“You fools! You gave farmer-A $1 for nothing. Where are your watermelons?”

A villager from the group says: “relax brother. We didn’t give him $1 for an actual watermelon. We don’t even know which part of the vineyard the watermelon is coming from, or if the watermelon we want will be available in the first week of him selling his batch”

Another villager from the group says “Yeah! Farmer A told me that since I want a really sweet watermelon I have to wait a longer time, but I’m the 3rd person to give him a $1, which means I have the highest chance to get the very first very sweet watermelon”

Another passerby passes by the group and says “Hi I sell watermelons. If there’s anything you need to know about watermelons, I’m your watermelon guy.”

The villager from earlier calling the group of villagers a fool asks watermelon salesman, “yo should I be placing deposits for watermelons”

The watermelons salesman says, “absolutely not, my farm does not take watermelons deposits so yours shouldn’t either”

The same villager responds “I knew it, I knew I was right”

The group of villagers wait patiently and eventually the get their watermelons, some getting theirs earlier than farmer A’s batch after realizing there was a farmer C, farmer D, farmer E, and farmer F were taking deposits on watermelons too.
I love that this was posted at midnight lol.

as others are nodding off, Veloist is out here writing about watermelon economics
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kona61 For This Useful Post:
Blighty (11-22-2021), puppers (11-21-2021), timurrrr (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #77
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So... What happens once a dealer knows what they're getting?
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #78
jdmwol2ks

Drives: 22' Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
So... What happens once a dealer knows what they're getting?
They go down the list of deposits in order to see if they want it. If they do, then it's theirs.
jdmwol2ks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdmwol2ks For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-22-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #79
TheDonEffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks View Post
They go down the list of deposits in order to see if they want it. If they do, then it's theirs.

Correct. In a market where supply outweighs demand, then they out it on their lot to sell traditionally. If demand outweighs demand, dealers will either create a bidding type of situation, or sell to those that made prearranged deals, ie deposits. Not sure what's so difficult to understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDonEffect For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 12:12 AM   #80
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
12 more months for Australian GR86 orders to come in.

Will probably be the second year model.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #81
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
12 more months for Australian GR86 orders to come in.

Will probably be the second year model.
That’s crazy I can’t imagine waiting until the end of the year…
Old 11-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #82
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Alright so who here (specifically in the Walnut Creek line hahaha) is also in line for a BRZ lol. Just want to to know to see if I’m gonna move up in line by the time allocations finally open hahaha
Old 11-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #83
TheDonEffect

Quote:
Alright so who here (specifically in the Walnut Creek line hahaha) is also in line for a BRZ lol. Just want to to know to see if I’m gonna move up in line by the time allocations finally open hahaha

Not me, I'm set on an 86, but from what I've been hearing it seems like if you get in line now, it will be months before you get one, unless you score one that someone backed out of.

With that said, there is obviously absolutely no reason anyone should be putting down deposits for either car.

In all seriousness though, I imagine that this time next year the market will be much different, the twins at the first go around had similar backorders (albeit not coming off a pandemic, chip shortages, etc) and things calmed down quickly once initial demand was met.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #84
Dylans47

Drives: Scion FR-S
Not here either. Just in line at Walnut Creek and Longo Toyota. Hoping this will be a long term car and I'd probably regret being impatient and going for the BRZ.
Dylans47 is offline   Reply With Quote