follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #113
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Had some great reading tonight thanks to the build thread by @RockySDS and the articles put out at Revvolution. They've provided me with some good context and insight into what I might want out of my motor build, and I encourage others looking to do the same to give the articles a good read, particularly those less experienced in what the motor building process entails.

Tearing Down and Assessing the FA20 & 4U-GSE

Building the #ProjectBRZ FA20: Understanding Tolerances

#RevvProjectBRZ SCR Performance: Building the Bottom End

Modifying the Heads of the ProjectBRZ FA20 & 4U-GSE
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SPCorBUST For This Useful Post:
Deep Six (05-24-2016), dj2020 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #114
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
It's just the gauge cluster cover and the door armrests right? You can always commission those pieces to be custom upholstered in blue stitching. I would say take it one step further and do the blue leather on the armrest rather than the red.

When I get a turbo in the car, I'll worry about extra interior pieces...
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #115
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
Had some great reading tonight thanks to the build thread by @RockySDS and the articles put out at Revvolution. They've provided me with some good context and insight into what I might want out of my motor build, and I encourage others looking to do the same to give the articles a good read, particularly those less experienced in what the motor building process entails.

Tearing Down and Assessing the FA20 & 4U-GSE

Building the #ProjectBRZ FA20: Understanding Tolerances

#RevvProjectBRZ SCR Performance: Building the Bottom End

Modifying the Heads of the ProjectBRZ FA20 & 4U-GSE

Any new news on how you're going to proceed with your engine build? I'm considering doing a preemptive build with just rods, pistons and valve springs. It's my understanding the FA20 engine halves do not have to be split to do this.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 PM   #116
SPCorBUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
Any new news on how you're going to proceed with your engine build? I'm considering doing a preemptive build with just rods, pistons and valve springs. It's my understanding the FA20 engine halves do not have to be split to do this.
I'm still not 100% sure, as the teardown hasn't been done yet. Your preemptive build is in line with what I was thinking, only adding bearings. I have been casually going through @frsjustin build thread and thinking about some of those options (like sleeving) as well. Either way, I may be moving the car depending on this week's outcome, as there is a delay in progress and I'd simply like to have the car completed sooner than later. I am anxious to get the motor built and get her back on the road.
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #117
dj2020

You thinking OE bearings? Stock 12.5:1 compression? Upgraded head studs? I'm a total noob, but are gaskets and seals a given when it comes to engine builds?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:47 AM   #118
SPCorBUST

Have been working out this build with Mike at Infamous, and have been pretty heavily influenced by all of the built motor threads I've been reading, e.g. Element Tuning's build.

After the teardown, nothing was found to be reusable. That said, I think this is what the upcoming work on the build will look like:

CP 12.5CR pistons
Carrillo rods
King bearings
Outfront 1/2" ARP head studs
Reimax oil pump
GSC beehive valve kit
all OEM gaskets and seals
C38 supercharger
DW300C fuel pump
JR combination radiator/oil cooler
ACE Type A 350
TRD flywheel
a good clutch
a few tuning sessions
some decent rims
some sticky tires

Studs, JR rad/oil cooler combo, ACE header are maybes. JR and ACE could wait, but I would like to know more about affects on the block and heads with the studs since they have to be machined for the irregular size.

There seems to be one last issue I'm concerned about, which is rocker failure, which I'm trying to dig around and get some answers to.

Have learned about some interesting things to expect (or not) like piston slap. Seems like the motor may be noisy til its warmed up, but this is more common with forged lower CR pistons, and not as much with forged stock CR pistons.

Given all this I would "only" rev up to 8k max to be "safe." From what I've been reading, power seems like it will die up top without cams, port work, and larger valves anyway, not to mention that I would probably have some oil pressure issues north of 8k too.

I hope the car not only revs high, but makes great power, stays cool, and stays together for many miles. This is a lot to invest into the build so I am trying to double down on the research, count the dollars, get some of the remaining parts in, etc. before taking the plunge. I have to do double my regular diligence because my work and personal schedule is filled with some pretty major events, purchases and travel for the next two months. Couldn't have happened at a worse time really, but I am excited for this phase of my build.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #119
dj2020

You planning on using 4032 aluminum alloy or 2618? From my cursory research, 4032 may not be as 'strong', but you get less piston slap on cold starts because the pistons chosen can have a tighter tolerance with the bore. You would not have to account for more thermal expansion like you would with the 2618 alloy. This should mean less wear, less oil consumption, etc. Just my understanding from Googling.

Also, even with c38 power levels, would 1/2" ARP studs be overkill? I'm under the impression that smaller ARP studs would suffice.

Curious to see what your rocker solution will be as well. I thought the valve spring upgrades would be enough until I saw the Element Tuning thread as well.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to dj2020 For This Useful Post:
SPCorBUST (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #120
SPCorBUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
You planning on using 4032 aluminum alloy or 2618? From my cursory research, 4032 may not be as 'strong', but you get less piston slap on cold starts because the pistons chosen can have a tighter tolerance with the bore. You would not have to account for more thermal expansion like you would with the 2618 alloy. This should mean less wear, less oil consumption, etc. Just my understanding from Googling.

Also, even with c38 power levels, would 1/2" ARP studs be overkill? I'm under the impression that smaller ARP studs would suffice.

Curious to see what your rocker solution will be as well. I thought the valve spring upgrades would be enough until I saw the Element Tuning thread as well.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

The studs may be overkill, I think I'm more concerned about the required machining though.

I'll have to look into the alloy stuff, thanks for mentioning that. Could be something to ask the manufacturers, but Mike may know as well.

And yeah, the rockers... I don't know. I messaged Mike at CSG for some insight there.
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
The Following User Says Thank You to SPCorBUST For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (05-11-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #121
Hicklinc

Drives: N/a
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Have been working out this build with Mike at Infamous, and have been pretty heavily influenced by all of the built motor threads I've been reading, e.g. Element Tuning's build.

After the teardown, nothing was found to be reusable. That said, I think this is what the upcoming work on the build will look like:

CP 12.5CR pistons
Carrillo rods
King bearings
Outfront 1/2" ARP head studs
Reimax oil pump
GSC beehive valve kit
all OEM gaskets and seals
C38 supercharger
DW300C fuel pump
JR combination radiator/oil cooler
ACE Type A 350
TRD flywheel
a good clutch
a few tuning sessions
some decent rims
some sticky tires

Studs, JR rad/oil cooler combo, ACE header are maybes. JR and ACE could wait, but I would like to know more about affects on the block and heads with the studs since they have to be machined for the irregular size.

There seems to be one last issue I'm concerned about, which is rocker failure, which I'm trying to dig around and get some answers to.

Have learned about some interesting things to expect (or not) like piston slap. Seems like the motor may be noisy til its warmed up, but this is more common with forged lower CR pistons, and not as much with forged stock CR pistons.

Given all this I would "only" rev up to 8k max to be "safe." From what I've been reading, power seems like it will die up top without cams, port work, and larger valves anyway, not to mention that I would probably have some oil pressure issues north of 8k too.

I hope the car not only revs high, but makes great power, stays cool, and stays together for many miles. This is a lot to invest into the build so I am trying to double down on the research, count the dollars, get some of the remaining parts in, etc. before taking the plunge. I have to do double my regular diligence because my work and personal schedule is filled with some pretty major events, purchases and travel for the next two months. Couldn't have happened at a worse time really, but I am excited for this phase of my build.
Stock block

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Hicklinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:51 AM   #122
SPCorBUST

Well, the car has been away for 5 months but she's finally in her new home.

Took a while to get her here because I paid her off, bought and remodeled my new house, had to wait for all of the parts for her to come in, and time to get them all where they needed to be in the midst of work travel, birthdays, bachelor parties, and other fun stuff. But, she's home now.

Thanks to everyone who PM'd me well wishes when she blew her top, and for everyone else who either sent me questions or answered my questions along the way while building the motor. Appreciated all of them, it kept me interested and lurking around.

So far the car has a 3000 mile break-in ahead before any pulls above 4k. Oil changes with Motul break-in oil will be done at 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 miles. I'm looking forward to opening it up and appreciate all of the attention to detail, questions answered, patience, and other things I'm forgetting from Mike @Infamous Performance. That's a stand-up shop, and has taken care of my car several times now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SPCorBUST For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (09-30-2016), Kris86 (02-01-2017)
Old 09-30-2016, 03:16 AM   #123
dj2020

Quote:
Well, the car has been away for 5 months but she's finally in her new home.

Took a while to get her here because I paid her off, bought and remodeled my new house, had to wait for all of the parts for her to come in, and time to get them all where they needed to be in the midst of work travel, birthdays, bachelor parties, and other fun stuff. But, she's home now.

Thanks to everyone who PM'd me well wishes when she blew her top, and for everyone else who either sent me questions or answered my questions along the way while building the motor. Appreciated all of them, it kept me interested and lurking around.

So far the car has a 3000 mile break-in ahead before any pulls above 4k. Oil changes with Motul break-in oil will be done at 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 miles. I'm looking forward to opening it up and appreciate all of the attention to detail, questions answered, patience, and other things I'm forgetting from Mike @Infamous Performance. That's a stand-up shop, and has taken care of my car several times now.

Welcome back! Can't wait to see the details of the engine build. The 3000 mile break-in period is gonna be torture!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dj2020 For This Useful Post:
SPCorBUST (09-30-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #124
Arcadien Angel
I may be an idiot

Drives: Winona - White 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I started my "build" in June of 2013. I'm going for an "ego" street and track build using Cusco, STi, and Perrin as the main brands in my build, going for a classy, but low key exterior, and nearly every piece from the nuts, bolts, and bushings, to the brakes, coilovers, and interior upgraded. I want the car to feel communicative and balanced, but razor-sharp and frenetic when I want and need it to be.

Very excited to see how your car turns out as my goals are very similar to yours; A track/street car that is comfortable to drive on the road, but a monster when I want her to be. With equal parts amazing handling, impressive power, and a classy look.

I'm looking at starting out with the JRSC and Delicious Flex Fuel as well. Seeing your build got me excited, mind if we chat a little so I can pick your brain?

Edelbrock SC w/ Flex Fuel - 18x9.5 Titan 7 wheels w/ 265/35x18 Michelin PS4S - Radium Dual Catch Cans - Verus Aero - OEM Brembos - Prototype HVT 6100e Dynamic Dampening Coilovers - JDL 4-2-1 EL / OP / Dual Catted FP w/ Greddy SP Supreme Catback
Arcadien Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #125
SPCorBUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadien Angel View Post
Very excited to see how your car turns out as my goals are very similar to yours; A track/street car that is comfortable to drive on the road, but a monster when I want her to be. With equal parts amazing handling, impressive power, and a classy look.

I'm looking at starting out with the JRSC and Delicious Flex Fuel as well. Seeing your build got me excited, mind if we chat a little so I can pick your brain?
Anytime, PMs always open. Have some power plans in the next couple weeks as well, just waiting on the official announcement.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #126
Arcadien Angel
I may be an idiot

Drives: Winona - White 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Anytime, PMs always open. Have some power plans in the next couple weeks as well, just waiting on the official announcement.

No can do, says your mailbox is full.

Edelbrock SC w/ Flex Fuel - 18x9.5 Titan 7 wheels w/ 265/35x18 Michelin PS4S - Radium Dual Catch Cans - Verus Aero - OEM Brembos - Prototype HVT 6100e Dynamic Dampening Coilovers - JDL 4-2-1 EL / OP / Dual Catted FP w/ Greddy SP Supreme Catback
Arcadien Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcadien Angel For This Useful Post:
SPCorBUST (10-11-2016)